< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Opinions on 9mm Pocket Carry  (Read 7519 times)

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
Opinions on 9mm Pocket Carry
« on: December 28, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
Looking for opinions (and why) on pocket carry

Want 9mm as the choices.

Not SW MP Shield ( have it, love it and will be the primary EDC choice, but don't like it in the pocket), ....something slightly smaller. 

Not LC9 (have shot it and don't care for it.

Not Glock.

Ok - opinions and why?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Opinions on 9mm Pocket Carry
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »

Want 9mm as the choices.

Not SW MP Shield ( have it, love it and will be the primary EDC choice, but don't like it in the pocket), ....something slightly smaller. 

Not Glock.

Ok - opinions and why?
Keltec PF9.  Have been carrying one for years.  Fits in my jean pockets easily (using a pocket holster).  Not hard to present from pocket carry and the little fella is pretty accurate at 10 yards.  I like the fact you can have 8 or 9 rounds ready to go depending which magazine you choose.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
Kahr PM9 works for me.   
Small.  Thin.  High quality.  Rugged.
Summer carry gun.  Handles +P ammo without a blink.
Kahr now makes the CW9.  Considerably less expensive but very close to same quality and features as the PM9.

Winter carry gun is a 9mm Super Magnum.
AKA .357Sig in Glock 33.

Feel quite comfortable and confident with either.
And....Crimson Trace lasers on Everything.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

Want 9mm as the choices.

Not Glock.

Ok - opinions and why?

If you haven't tried the new LC9s, you should. It's a whole different(better) trigger.
I sold my regular LC9 and bought an LC9s, very happy with the decision.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
Thanks for the opinions...adding them to the candidate pool....

Also thanks for sharing about LC9 changing the trigger - was not aware of that - may reconsider.

Offline bbauman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
FYI, CM9 is the PM9 sized less expensive version. The CW9 is a little larger.

Smaller than an M&P Shield? Below is how things compare.
                            W  H    L
S&W     Shield  0.95 4.6   6.1   19oz
Kahr   PM9,6rnd   0.9   4.0   5.3   14oz
Kel-Tec   PF9   0.88   4.3   5.85   12.7oz
Ruger   LC9   0.9   4.5   6   17.1
Smith-Wesson   360 M&P   1.36   4.25   6.31   13.3  (I'll pocket before trying to pocket a 9mm)

Maybe I just have small pockets but anything over the little 380's either isn't easy to draw and/or prints.  Also seems like if it is light enough clothing to where you don't use a belt then it can't hide anything as heavy as a 9mm.

Good luck.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »
I bought myself a Kahr PM9 thinking, "This will be a fine little pocket carry pistol." (Having never pocket carried before.)  After a few different pockets and some practice, I decided that I wouldn't want to rely on digging a pistol out of my pocket if I ever needed to defend my life with a firearm.  It's just too easy to carry IWB ... and so much easier to draw.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:01:13 AM »
FYI, CM9 is the PM9 sized less expensive version. The CW9 is a little larger.

Smaller than an M&P Shield? Below is how things compare.
Maybe I just have small pockets but anything over the little 380's either isn't easy to draw and/or prints.  Also seems like if it is light enough clothing to where you don't use a belt then it can't hide anything as heavy as a 9mm.
I bought myself a Kahr PM9 thinking, "This will be a fine little pocket carry pistol." (Having never pocket carried before.)  After a few different pockets and some practice, I decided that I wouldn't want to rely on digging a pistol out of my pocket if I ever needed to defend my life with a firearm.  It's just too easy to carry IWB ... and so much easier to draw.

Gentlemen: Thank you both for that feedback... I may end up at that same spot but no assuming so at this point.  Body type and clothing style has big impact - so starting the research with the desire for 9mm... but, if can't find one may end up with 380.

Majority of the time I am IWB with Shield9mm...  very comfortable with that and can draw easily (including from a seated position in a car firing from inside through the windshield). 

There are several times each week where pocket gun is a bit more desirable (practical?) based on what I'm wearing and where I'll be for the day... thus looking for the backup option and initial desire is to not drop down to 380.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
I have been carrying IWB since I got my CCW earlier this year.  However, I find that access to my gun (Taurus PT709) under the jackets becomes an issue now that the temps have dropped so low so I too was considering a pocket holster for this time of year.  How are you handling that issue if you are staying with IWB?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:36:23 AM by Mali »
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
I have been carrying IWB since I got my CCW earlier this year.  However, I find that access to my gun (Taurus PT709) under the jackets becomes an issue now that the temps have dropped so low so I too was considering a pocket holster for this time of year.  How are you handling that issue if you are staying with IWB?

Here's a video you might be interested in:
http://www.dryfiretips.com/tips/concealedcarryandcoldweather

I have pocket carried a Kahr CM9, but have since stopped. I just couldn't get a smooth draw. Even with very loose pockets (cargo shorts) the gun would get snagged on the pocket. That slowed me down. Add to that, plunging your hand into your pocket at the same time as trying to get a good grip on the gun and it was just awkward.

Even with winter clothing on, I have a mostly consistent draw from an IWB holster.

It's personal preference, but you should practice A LOT from whatever method of carry you choose.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »

1. I rarely wear a truly heavy coat.
2. I rarely zip or button that coat closed.
3. I can pull up my heavy coat and draw from inside my waistband more quickly than I can get a pistol out of a pocket.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
I dont see the Baretta Nano represented, so here is a shout out for it.  Small, light, 6+1, but it has a pretty long trigger pull (not rough or anything, just LONG).  If I have to pocket carry thats my choice.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »
1. I rarely wear a truly heavy coat.
2. I rarely zip or button that coat closed.
3. I can pull up my heavy coat and draw from inside my waistband more quickly than I can get a pistol out of a pocket.
Interesting.  Thank you for the info, it will help me with regard to my approach since I usually have 2 jackets on and usually only zip the inside jacket if at all.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
Interesting.  Thank you for the info, it will help me with regard to my approach since I usually have 2 jackets on and usually only zip the inside jacket if at all.

Hope I helped.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
If you haven't tried the new LC9s, you should. It's a whole different(better) trigger.
I sold my regular LC9 and bought an LC9s, very happy with the decision.

Well narrowed things down between Kahr and another look at the Ruger.

After a visit to Moellers I ended up with the new Ruger LC9S-PRO.   

The change they made with the S version was a huge improvement.

As always...if in the Omaha metro be sure to buy from Rod...much better to deal with than larger stores!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
What is included in the PRO?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »
What is included in the PRO?

They removed the Magazine Disconnect and the Thumb Safety.

Here is the change overview:
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2014/12/16/ruger-lc9s-pro/

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Figures... :/

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
Well narrowed things down between Kahr and another look at the Ruger.

After a visit to Moellers I ended up with the new Ruger LC9S-PRO.   

The change they made with the S version was a huge improvement.

As always...if in the Omaha metro be sure to buy from Rod...much better to deal with than larger stores!

Very nice!...and a good way to keep money in the local economy!  (Until Rod spends the profit on new pajamas on Amazon)
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 02:30:50 AM »
Sig P938 but I would put it in a holster rather than a pocket.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger