< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fiber Optic Replacement Sights: Taran Tactical vs. Dawson Precision  (Read 4304 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Greetings,

I have a red fiber optic on the front of my XDm 5.25 Competition gun and love it.  I want a fiber optic front sight with black rear sight to replace those that came with a couple of new guns. 

Does anyone have experience with Taran Tactical Industries and/or Dawson Precision sights?

A related question: The XDm rear sight is adjustable.  I realize that once I adjust the sight then I shouldn't need to do it again, but for ease of initial adjustment I like the idea of installing once and then having the ability to adjust.  I will probably just get a fixed rear for my carry gun, but the other is a competition model which already has an adjustable sight which I don't care for.  Any opinions on whether adjustable is worth the extra money?  WHAT AM I SAYING?! "Any opinions...".  I forgot who I'm talking too.   ;D

Okay.  Fire at will.

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Fiber Optic Replacement Sights: Taran Tactical vs. Dawson Precision
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
I like the Warren Tactical sights with front fiber optic and fixed rear on my Glocks.
I use them on my competition and carry guns.

With the fixed rear, I don't have to worry about anything accidentally changing the rear sight setting

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Dawson Precision front (red) and a rear adjustable night sight that has had the tritium removed and the notch opened up on my G17.

I am seriously considering putting https://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/310-010.jpg on my G26 and eventually on my G30 carry gun cuz the tritium sights are getting weak

ETA: Dawson is having a 10% off sale over $49 with free priority mail shipping until Jan 4
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
All good info.  Anyone else want to chime in?

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
Sights are overrated since I learned "point shooting" .....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
Sights are overrated since I learned "point shooting" .....

But everyone can't be as tactical as you.

Fly

Offline dg870

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
I have a couple of Glocks w Dawson fiber front sights and hiene rear sights.  Seem to work fine and I have quite a few rounds through the guns that they are on.  I can highly recommend the Dawson's and could bring a g17 for you to try next Wednesday night at Big Shots.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
I have a couple of Glocks w Dawson fiber front sights and hiene rear sights.  Seem to work fine and I have quite a few rounds through the guns that they are on.  I can highly recommend the Dawson's and could bring a g17 for you to try next Wednesday night at Big Shots.

I won't be at the 1/14 match, but I will be there for the following match (1/21).  If you happen to remember that would be great to get my eyes on them.

ETA: @dg870...you've been a member for nearly five years and you are up to 3 posts?!  You better slow down and pace yourself.  ;D

Thanks,
Fly

Offline SauerPower

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Warren Tactical Sevigny Competition sights - just to throw another option out there. They make them for XD's and XDm's now. I have a set on my Glock 34. The .150 wide rear notch is a little wider than I like but it works for now. I like that the rear sight doesn't have any serrations, it's just plain black. Haven't tried the others, so I can't offer a comparison.