General Categories > Firearms Training and Education

Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part I: The Draw

<< < (2/5) > >>

OnTheFly:

--- Quote from: jthhapkido on January 08, 2015, 01:23:11 PM ---(It's on the list.   )
--- End quote ---

Add to the list "The combat roll" which is highly effective for entering a room full of bad guys.

Fly

JTH:

--- Quote from: David Hineline on January 08, 2015, 03:24:06 PM ---As IPSC and IDPA RO/SO  the number of people that can not clear a live weapon at the end of shooting without either putting part of their hand in front of the muzzle or covering up the ejection port with their hand so I can't see what is going on. 

--- End quote ---

Hand in front of the muzzle = DQ, so I'd think it would be self-correcting, once people start getting DQed for everything. (Though I agree, people need to learn how to clear guns without sweeping themselves--matter of fact, people need to practice keeping their fingers off the trigger while doing all sorts of things, and their other body parts out of the way of the muzzle line, which makes it a good topic for a video!)

Covering the ejection port isn't against any sort of rule, and if the gun is presented with slide open so you can see the chamber, I don't understand the problem? 

I see that the IDPA rule is pretty much the same as the USPSA rule:
IDPA:  If the shooter is finished, all ammunition will be removed from the firearm and a clear chamber/cylinder will be shown to the SO.
USPSA: If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his handgun and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed down range, magazine removed, slide locked or held open, and chamber empty.

...or did you mean keeping it covered when presenting to the RO?  Yeah, that would be annoying.

It is interesting how many gun owners don't actually know (and aren't competent with) the manual of arms for their firearms.  I'm not talking about grandmaster-level abilities, I'm simply talking about being able to load, reload, unload, and clear their handgun without doing something potentially dangerous with it.

You are right---that's a great topic for a video.  Thanks!

JTH:

--- Quote from: OnTheFly on January 08, 2015, 03:44:16 PM ---Add to the list "The combat roll" which is highly effective for entering a room full of bad guys.

--- End quote ---

I can do that. 

It won't look THIS smooth, though.

(I have to admit, considering how easily he was "posing" as opposed to simply getting into a firing stance, I expecting him to start sashaying back up the runway at the end.)

Lmbass14:
Very good video.  I need more training, that's for sure.

OnTheFly:

--- Quote from: jthhapkido on January 08, 2015, 03:55:12 PM ---I can do that. 

It won't look THIS smooth, though.
--- End quote ---

GOD...that man is my hero. He has the looks AND the skillz on both the range and the runway.

Fly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version