< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: reloading question  (Read 5784 times)

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
Re: reloading question
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
He didn't say anything of the sort.

He said, directly:
But since you quoted that, I assumed that you read it.

He said pretty clearly that higher velocities with lead bullets gives you increased leading of the barrel.  Which it does...which also will contribute to more firearms problems than barrels that have less lead deposited in them.

People CAN shoot what they want.  And some of the things that people like to shoot simply mean they are going to have to clean their guns more often, or risk issues.

Damn Dude, only wanted a discussion. Wow.

Shooter,
 gas checks are only needed when running mag speeds with soft bullets. Hard casts in the 14 to 18 range will suffice 1800+ with proper fit and lube.

Semper
 Hard casts at 9 mm speeds @ max loads, with what's available lincoln/ Omaha are a no leading problem as most are running 16 hardness. 
D.R

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:21 AM »
Semper
 Hard casts at 9 mm speeds @ max loads, with what's available lincoln/ Omaha are a no leading problem as most are running 16 hardness.

Which could be good information for any Forum visitors who want to shoot lead but might have held back because they've heard of leading problems.

FWIW, I finally shot up my last ice cream bucket of .38SPCL lead wad cutters and can now try to figger out how to get the lead deposits off the muzzle and cylinder fronts on my S&W Model 19.  Without taking off the bluing along with it.

From here on in, it's all jacketed and plated bullets for me.

And--of course--anybody else can shoot whatever they want and be happy.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:49:32 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
FWIW, I finally shot up my last ice cream bucket of .38SPCL lead wad cutters and can now try to figger out how to get the lead deposits off the muzzle and cylinder fronts on my S&W Model 19.  Without taking off the bluing along with it.

Well after 30 years of reloading and shooting hard casts I could tell you a very simple way to do that, But you might get your nose further out of joint and wont be able to breathe.
 And might as well throw away 5000 rounds of 22's that have unplated lead bullets before they ruin my pistols and rifles.
D.R

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »
Damn Dude, only wanted a discussion. Wow.
Actually, you took what he said out of context and put words in his mouth.  It didn't look like much of a discussion.

Well after 30 years of reloading and shooting hard casts I could tell you a very simple way to do that, But you might get your nose further out of joint and wont be able to breathe.
 And might as well throw away 5000 rounds of 22's that have unplated lead bullets before they ruin my pistols and rifles.
And in a similar fashion, not much for discussion.  If you assume that other people have experience also, and it differs from yours, having a discussion generally involves attempting to find out what the differences are and why, as opposed to assuming you are right, getting pissy about it, and making negative comments about others.

If nothing else, stopping the ridiculous commentary like "And might as well throw away 5000 rounds of 22's that have unplated lead bullets before they ruin my pistols and rifles." might be a plan.

Though if you want to get rid of those, I'll take them.

After all, no one has said "don't shoot lead."  They've said, "when shooting lead, be careful of increased leading, and make sure to clean as necessary."

(As an academic comment, "making the lead used harder" is often not the solution for leading issues.  Grant Cunningham has a pretty good article on the basics regarding bullet hardness here, though there isn't anything about how bullet lube or sizing can make a difference, among other things. Another discussion by Glen Fryxell can be found here.)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
Hi all was thinking of reloading just for me not for sale I have a question I was looking up and can not find anything on reloading for example does someone need a type of permit or license to reload their own ammo maybe someone can point me in the right direction thank you

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
Nope - you do not need any kind of paper work to load your own ammo.

Patience and attention to detail are required though.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »
Thank you I am starting from the basics and working my way up
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:21:20 PM by jayfury007 »

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:50 PM »
Basics

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »
Enjoy .  But definitely don't rush things.  Any questions,  there are a number of highly knowledgeable  reloaders here.  Kinda  new  myself

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
Right on ty. Not doing. That many calibers just 9mm and. Like 50@ a time for load testing

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »
b don't worry, youll get into the swing, I got 6 loaders, plus 4 for shotguns. LOL I load 68 different cals, and cast 45 different lead bullets
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
Thank you I am starting from the basics and working my way up.........

Lots and lots of reloading videos on YouTube.

Some are quite good and others are clearly not.   You will quickly pick up on which is which. 

Might be of help to you as you start your new venture.

It all starts with a good, solid manufacturer's reloading manual.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 07:11:56 AM »
HiTek coated bullets are your friend, my friend.  GREATLY reduced smoke, dramatically cleaner gun at the end of the day and virtually no leading.  (Actually, I can detect NO leading.) 

Like lead bullets, the case mouth has to be expanded enough to avoid shaving off the coating as you seat the bullet. 

Coated bullets are available from several manufacturers.  HiTek coating itself can be purchased from Bayou Bullets and you can coat 'em yourself if you're the adventurous type. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
......you can coat 'em yourself if you're the adventurous type

Oboy.............

When unfy gets to that part, he'll immediately dump his Great Plated Bullet Caper and develop a Totally Brannew Obsession.

sfg

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
Oboy.............

When unfy gets to that part, he'll immediately dump his Great Plated Bullet Caper and develop a Totally Brannew Obsession.

sfg

Well, I still have designs on the plated bullets stuff, just... haven't fiddled recently.

I've got 'the bullet casting cart' all cut up and grooved and stuff.  Need to drill holes, sand, and .... actually... do I want to polyurethane it ?  I dunno.  Is poly coating flamable ? Would hot lead splatter be a bad thing ? Hmmmmm. 

Anyway, cart is about done, after which I'll cast a whole bunch of bullets and then figure out how I wanna try to mass powdercoat stuff :D  Prolly just do it patiently 40-50 bullets at a time.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »
 don't use polyurethane. the hot led drips will melt into it and give you trouble, bare wood is best.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
don't use polyurethane. the hot led drips will melt into it and give you trouble, bare wood is best.

Done.  Thanks.  My previous things were all bare wood as well - was just gonna try to 'pretty' this thing up a bit.  Of the good news - on less step and means I can finish making the cart any time I please :D

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 08:04:12 PM »
If lead fouling is a concern you might look over the link below.  Missouri Bullet sells this from their site and it seels like a pretty good product for removing lead.  They are also selling Hy-tek coated bullets now which they werent the last time I bought from them.  I might give them a try since I am in the market for some more 45's.

Ron

http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=7

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX