< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sen. Les Seiler to be Chair of the Judiciary Committee  (Read 2487 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Sen. Les Seiler to be Chair of the Judiciary Committee
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/hadley-defeats-lincoln-s-coash-to-be-speaker-of-the/article_92722908-51ab-560c-ab09-ce43f75885ff.html

After a speech by Papillion Sen. Bill Kintner urging that votes for leaders be public, senators decided to keep them private. Kintner said he will make his votes public.

Sen. Les Seiler of Hastings was selected chairman of the Judiciary Committee, which will be key with lots of work ahead on prison reform and many bills that will be introduced.

* see more at link *
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Sen. Les Seiler to be Chair of the Judiciary Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
What do we know about Sen. Seiler?  Is this a good or a bad thing for people who care about their rights?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »
I have heard that he is not against 2nd amendment issues but also not a staunch supporter.... I personally haven't dealt with him yet to know first hand...

I am very eager to hear who the remaining members are.  It cant get any worse than the last sessions members.....could it?

I count 4 fairly anti gun rights senators on last year's list....
Sen. Brad Ashford, Chairperson
Sen. Ernie Chambers
Sen. Mark Christensen
Sen. Colby Coash
Sen. Al Davis
Sen. Steve Lathrop
Sen. Amanda McGill
Sen. Les Seiler
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
Seiler introduced the bill to allow firearms on school premises for purposes of reenactment last year.  Ultimately, 694 (the reenactment bill) was rolled into 390 (introduced by Christensen) which struck "firearms" from the list of items that the governor may suspend during a declared state of emergency.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
Didn't see Enie in the article.  Wonder where he ended up?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:41 PM »
Didn't see Enie in the article.  Wonder where he ended up?

No chairmanship for Ernie. That would be too time consuming and not allow him to stick his nose in the business of ALL committees.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
No chairmanship for Ernie. That would be too time consuming and not allow him to stick his nose in the business of ALL committees.   ::)
  They had a posting outside of ?? office on which committees folks wanted to be on, of course ol Ernie had a page to him self title- All or Nothing  and then went on to list every committee.  What a PITA!

Seiler introduced the bill to allow firearms on school premises for purposes of reenactment last year.  Ultimately, 694 (the reenactment bill) was rolled into 390 (introduced by Christensen) which struck "firearms" from the list of items that the governor may suspend during a declared state of emergency.
And if I recall correctly, we also got Hunter's Ed rolled into that bill (my idea- thank you :P ) Seiler was more than receptive to that.   
From the hearings I have sat in, I would say Senator Seiler is receptive to the rights of gun owners and self defense, most of his concerns in hearings has been wording and 'do-ability'
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/pdf/committees/roster.pdf

Based on the preliminary roster.

Judiciary:
Seiler (C), Coash, Chambers, Ebke, Krist, Morfeld, Pansing Brooks, Williams.

Ebke, Morfeld, Pansing Brooks, and Williams are all new Senators.

Chambers also wound up on Agriculture, Business & Labor, and the Executive board of the legislature council (I have no idea what that is).

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
my rep Morfeld is Democrat, but had an Aq rating from the NRA.  we'll see his true colors soon enough.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Ebke is with us .... Pansing Brooks ... no way no how ...

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
I am fairly disapoointed....I count 5-3 republican majority but several that don't appear to serious about 2nd amendment rights!  I think that Ebke is great addition but how will an incoming senator deal with the bullsnake?   Pansing Brooks looks like a flaming lib, Matt williams was a good baseball player but will he live up to his nra rating?
I do have some hope for Coash & Seiler could never show up & run it better than Ashford... Morfeld is also a D & since only ebke bothered to answer the NFOA PAF survey out of the newly elected....we can only guess.

Can anyone chime in on Bob Krist? I am too tired to go searching the web....I think Kintner was on to something when he wanted an easier way to access voting records of senators! 

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
I am fairly disapoointed....I count 5-3 republican majority but several that don't appear to serious about 2nd amendment rights!  I think that Ebke is great addition but how will an incoming senator deal with the bullsnake?   Pansing Brooks looks like a flaming lib, Matt williams was a good baseball player but will he live up to his nra rating?
I do have some hope for Coash & Seiler could never show up & run it better than Ashford... Morfeld is also a D & since only ebke bothered to answer the NFOA PAF survey out of the newly elected....we can only guess.

Can anyone chime in on Bob Krist? I am too tired to go searching the web....I think Kintner was on to something when he wanted an easier way to access voting records of senators!

Krist is an Establishment RINO Republican. and partnered up with Lathrop to defend Ashford over the Nikko Jenkins debacle.

http://www.ketv.com/politics/congressional-candidates-fight-over-crime-at-news-conference/28393850

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
With the exception of Sen. Ebke, there isn't anybody on the Judiciary Committee that will be solidly in our corner.  More concerning is what this committee will churn out on the issue of prison reform.  This committee may be slightly better than the previous one, but the jury is still out on that until they actually get to work.