< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sig Brace -- ATF Changes its mind...  (Read 726 times)

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Sig Brace -- ATF Changes its mind...
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
I'm sure many have heard already, but...

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/open_letter_on_the_redesign_of_stabilizing_braces.pdf

They didn't outlaw the brace, but now the intent to use it as a shoulder stock is considered a "redesign" and the firearm is then subject to the NFA.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Sig Brace -- ATF Changes its mind...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
Sounds like the right kind of "thinking" that is going to lead to the abolishment of the NFA. The fact that we are still under it 80 years later is absolutely sickening.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: Sig Brace -- ATF Changes its mind...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »
Dear ATF, the intent is to fire it with just my arm, any shoulder contact is COMPLETELY coincidental... :) it's not illegal unless you completely "intend" to have it shoulder fired.

Capitalization in the following code is mine for emphasis. It can't be an SBR unless it is first a rifle. It can't be a rifle unless you "intend" it to be one. Arbitrary and capricious much?

"(7) The term ‘‘rifle’’ means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, AND INTENDED to be fired from the shoulder and designed or rede- signed and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(8) The term ‘‘short-barreled rifle’’ means a rifle having one or more barrels less than six- teen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches."
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.