< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shipping ammo  (Read 1895 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Shipping ammo
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
I have several boxes of rifle ammo I want to trade with a friend in Kansas City for some ammo he has.  Anyone have an idea how much it will cost to ship 6 boxes of .300 Winchester magnum rounds and roughly the same amount of once fired brass?  And is UPS or FedEx better?  Or if anyone close to Lincoln would like to buy or trade let me know.  I got rid of my .300 so I don't need it any more, and would be happy to sell or trade.  Thanks.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Shipping ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
For bulky or heavy items I have found UPS to be the better priced option.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
USPS flat rate. They handle loaded ammo too.
D.R

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »
USPS flat rate. They handle loaded ammo too.

I am 99.8% sure that you are wrong on that.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

Shipping Restrictions
Can you ship it?

If you have any questions about whether or not the contents of your shipment can be shipped by USPS®, consult the lists of prohibited and restricted items below. The lists are not exhaustive, so if you’re looking for information not covered below, please refer to the resources available under Helpful Links.

All prohibited domestic items are also prohibited from being shipped internationally. However, some items that are prohibited from being shipped internationally can shipped domestically, with some restrictions.
Prohibited Domestic Items

Air bags
    Ammunition
    Explosives
    Gasoline
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
Ammunition, incendiary, white phosphorus, with burster, expelling charge, or propelling charge
1.2H
UN0243
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, incendiary, white phosphorus, with burster, expelling charge, or propelling charge
1.3H
UN0244
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, incendiary with or without burster, expelling charge, or propelling charge
1.2G
UN0009
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, incendiary with or without burster, expelling charge, or propelling charge
1.3G
UN0010
II
Prohibited

1.4G
UN0300
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, practice
1.4G
UN0362
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, practice
1.3G
UN0488
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, proof
1.4G
UN0363
II
Prohibited

Ammunition, rocket, see Warheads, rocket etc.

^^^ LOL  ^^^

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »
But USPS Flat rate works wonders for bulk purchase of bullets!   Well, except for the dirty looks from the postal workers that have to lug 67 pound boxes.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
I was selling lead for casting bullets, 68 pounds a box. the Yutan post office hated me,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
OP, you'd be better off either trading or selling locally.  No shipping costs...no headaches.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:48:49 AM »
Normal ammunition (.50 and smaller) with a inert projectile (lead, copper, steel, etc) is Hazard class 1.4S, and the proper shipping name is cartridge, small arms.

When packaged for shipment it is normally labeled ORM-D, it dose have to meet packaging requirements.

When transporting less then 1000 lbs net explosive weight (weight of the powder and primer) a CDL and placarding is not required. 

While USPS will not ship loaded ammunition, UPS and FedEx do.

John K

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:42 AM »
UPS or FedEx Ground. Just put a Hazmat logo sticker on it for loaded ammo (Google it, its a black and white diamond shape). No Haz mat fees, just have to declare by putting the label on it. Can be picked up by the driver on your regular business pickup, otherwise you must drop off at the main UPS or FedEx facility.

Cost depends on how much it weighs and where it is going.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the good information!  If anyone locally is interested in .300 Win mag it would be better, in case anyone knows someone...  Otherwise it looks like probably UPS.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.