General Categories > Survival/Emergency Preparedness

short wave radio

(1/3) > >>

shooter:
 I know someone here uses short wave radio, just don't remember who, Id like to get one to listen to, maybe transmit later , but looking for a way to get news if something happens,

if anyone has one, I would like to get some information,

sparky0068:
Several of us here are hams.   ;D

Brian:
Here is a good place to get started answering questions about Amateur Radio Operators:   http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

rudy:
You don't need a ham (amateur) radio if you're only going to listen to shortwave.  While I don't have any experience with shortwave radios, this topic came up on the ARFCOM ham radio subforum recently.  There are a number of suggestions for shortwave radios here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/678973_AM_FM_SW_Radios______some_purchase_suggestions_please_.html  Many of the posters mention SSB, which is single-sideband modulation.  SSB is a type of modulation used by amateur radio operators, so if you're only interested in broadcast shortwave, you wouldn't need SSB.

If you want to transmit you will need an amateur radio license.  A ham radio will be more costly than the shortwave radios mentioned in the link above.  I agree that the ARRL link previously mentioned is a good place to start if you're interested in a license.  If you really want to get into high frequency (HF) communication, you'll want a general (second level) or extra (third and highest level) license as the technician (first level) license doesn't have much for privileges on the HF bands.  The ARRL puts out good license manuals which are helpful for learning the information for the exams.  All of exam questions are publicly available and you can find them at the back of the ARRL books or online.  The exams are made up of these publicly available questions, so the exams aren't too tough, in my opinion.  If you don't want to buy the ARRL books you might be able to find them at your public library, which is what I did; however, many times they are out of date--the question pools change every so often.  Otherwise, there are study guides/material available online.  If you're interested, I can point you in the direction of some of it.

I got my ham radio license a few months ago and have a VHF/UHF handheld.  It is mostly for local communications, while HF is better for regional or worldwide communication.  I intend to get into HF someday.

AD0KL

shooter:
Im looking for a send and receive set,

not worried about a liscense

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version