General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

This week I gave my daughter to the USMC

(1/5) > >>

OnTheFly:
Tuesday January 20th was a very proud day for me.  Tuesday January 20th was a very sad day for me.

This Tuesday my wife and I delivered our 18 year old daughter to MEPS in Omaha to ship out for boot camp at Parris Island.  Since then we have been desperately scrounging for information, support groups, and any details of her journey.  At times I laugh, others I cringe, and occasionally I fight back a tear. 

I wonder if she is sorry about her choice, and then I think, of course she will be sorry about it at some point.  Or at the very least she will question her choice.  Through all the lows and slowly increasing highs, I know that she will tough it out and emerge from the other end of the tunnel as a very proud and confident Marine.

My thoughts are with her every day.  The hardest thing for me is to not be there for her during hard times, but this is the right of passage which will solidify her position in a new family.

My pet name for her was "Honey Bunny", but that may need to change to "Devil Dog".

Fly

jFader:
Thanks for sharing Fly!  I can imagine the range of emotions that you just described.  I have a 13 year old step daughter & a 4 year old daughter.  I am very protective of them and I already find myself skipping ahead to "letting them venture out on their own".  Like you said she will come out a tougher person & gain a ton of real life experience.     

Who Knows....If she makes it far enough into the ranks she could pitch the Kilo Lima & make you both trillions!   Stay Strong!

thirtydaZe:
Congrats and thanks!  Another geeat American!

pt3d:
Congrats and thank you for sharing.

btw... can I borrow your time machine?

--- Quote from: OnTheFly on January 23, 2015, 10:48:23 PM ---Tuesday February 20th was a very proud day for me.  Tuesday February 20th was a very sad day for me.

Fly

--- End quote ---

ILoveCats:
She's off to a great start in life.  A lot of 18 year-olds I see around my neighborhood seem to be way in over their heads just trying to hold down a McDonald's job and not flunk out of community college.  You did well. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version