< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pocket Carry / General Carry Questions  (Read 4382 times)

Offline stroked

• NFOA Full Member
Pocket Carry / General Carry Questions
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:07 AM »
Prepare as this is going to be sort of long winded....

I have been carrying for a few weeks now since I got my CHP and so far it has either been my Glock 27 Gen3 or my 3in Kimber 1911 (Ultra Crimson Carry II). I have a CrossBreed IWB kydex with leather backing holster for the Kimber and a similar knock off brand for the Glock as well as another single clip leather Targa holster for the Glock. I also have a 511 tatical gun belt that I use for both (http://www.511tactical.com/double-duty-tdu-belt-1-5.html). I would also mention that I am a big guy 6'1 and heavy but in the process of loosing some lbs. (I wear my pants below the gut as well not sure if that is useful info.)

The Kimber sits nice the draw is great and I am fairly accurate with the gun. My problem with that is that it feels like a brick strapped to my hip. I have to keep tightening the belt throughout the day and pulling up my pants to keep the gun from sagging. The Glock does the same in the CrossBreed holster but it doesn't seem as bad and is wearable honestly. My problem with both is I have a hard time finding shirts with the correct length (tall) that I don't have to wear a long coat or hoodie all the time.

Now that I have said all of that I have been thinking about a few options.

• Getting a pocket holster for the Glock (like i said I am a big guy and it fits in my Levi's nicely). I just haven't carried there yet since I don't have a holster for it.
  • Looking for a smaller gun (I really like the 9+1 capacity of the Glock and am a fan of a bigger caliber).
    • I honestly haven't found anything I am happy with yet though (would like something similar to a Glock with drop safe trigger, striker fired, at least 9mm but would like 40 or 45)
  • Look for another holster for IWB
  • Get another belt

Any opinions are appreciated!

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Pocket Carry / General Carry Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:55:09 AM »
First get a better belt I use one with Velcro for a secondary closure. Below is a belt that I use.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828711/uncle-mikes-reinforced-instructor-belt-1-1-2-black-steel-buckle-polymer-reinforced-nylon

In my opinion a double stack firearm is just too big for a front pocket. One example of a pocket gun for the big man, check out a S&W M&P Shield .40 or 9mm single stack pistol. Available with or without thumb safety. Six and seven round mags included in .40.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_780153_-1_757781_757781_image
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:42:21 AM »
I don't even like to carry a 442 in my pocket.  Feels like a brick in there.  Maybe I could get used to it, but carrying on the belt is more comfortable to me and provides a faster draw. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
First get a better belt I use one with Velcro for a secondary closure. Below is a belt that I use.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828711/uncle-mikes-reinforced-instructor-belt-1-1-2-black-steel-buckle-polymer-reinforced-nylon

FYI: Cabela's had these in the bargain cave as of last Friday. Along with many various Galco holsters.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
If you don't like carrying a gun on your belt, you'll hate carrying it in your pocket.

There was a good, recent discussion about pocket carry on here: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,13477.0.html

I agree with Randy, with a good belt and holster you shouldn't have any problems carrying your Kimber inside your waistband (IWB). Personally, I'm a big fan of CrossBreed belts and IWB holsters.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
If you don't like carrying a gun on your belt, you'll hate carrying it in your pocket.

That's a pretty broad statement!  :)  The huge market demand for pocket pistols over the last few years would indicate otherwise.  There's no such thing as a free lunch, and a light pocket pistol may give up a lot "tactically", but carry-ability isn't one of them.  It can fit in a suit pocket, jeans or cargo shorts without all sorts of messing around with finding the correct shirt length, pants sizes,  yada yada...
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »
That's a pretty broad statement!  :)  The huge market demand for pocket pistols over the last few years would indicate otherwise.  There's no such thing as a free lunch, and a light pocket pistol may give up a lot "tactically", but carry-ability isn't one of them.  It can fit in a suit pocket, jeans or cargo shorts without all sorts of messing around with finding the correct shirt length, pants sizes,  yada yada...

I think you might have missed my point.  My point was that, without a proper carry setup, the weight of the gun is going to be annoying and uncomfortable.  Whether you carry in-pocket, in-waistband or some other way you need a proper carry setup. 

In the case of IWB or OWB carry, the belt is critical.

In the case of pocket carry, the pocket holster and the pocket itself are both critical.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »
I agree with Randy, with a good belt and holster you shouldn't have any problems carrying your Kimber inside your waistband (IWB). Personally, I'm a big fan of CrossBreed belts and IWB holsters.

Yep.  Belt makes a huge difference.  For gun belts, I strongly suggest either getting a dedicated leather gun belt (multiple layers, stiff, extra stitches) or something like a Wilderness Tactical belt with the nylon insert (which is my preference).

If the belt is sagging, the belt isn't strong enough.  Also, belt/pants fit when paired with the holster makes a difference.

Since you aren't a small guy, is there a reason you like the smaller guns?  (For example, I'm not a big guy at all, and I carry a G17.)  Larger guns, in general, are more stable than smaller guns.  (And a Glock 23 has about the same weight as your Kimber.)

I'm thinking that lots of people like Crossbreeds (meaning it is normally a solid carry holster), so that paired with a solid stiff belt, it may end up working for you directly.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline stroked

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Yep.  Belt makes a huge difference.  For gun belts, I strongly suggest either getting a dedicated leather gun belt (multiple layers, stiff, extra stitches) or something like a Wilderness Tactical belt with the nylon insert (which is my preference).

If the belt is sagging, the belt isn't strong enough.  Also, belt/pants fit when paired with the holster makes a difference.

Since you aren't a small guy, is there a reason you like the smaller guns?  (For example, I'm not a big guy at all, and I carry a G17.)  Larger guns, in general, are more stable than smaller guns.  (And a Glock 23 has about the same weight as your Kimber.)

I'm thinking that lots of people like Crossbreeds (meaning it is normally a solid carry holster), so that paired with a solid stiff belt, it may end up working for you directly.

It's probably a preference thing. I bought my Glock several years ago (2007 maybe) and have always liked smaller guns. Honestly never owned a bigger hand gun so the Kimber is fairly large in my eyes. The Kimber has served as my "night stand" gun for a few years as well and I love the way it shoots and the Glock I had bought with intentions of a carry gun when I finally came around to getting my permit which I have had since the first of the year or so.

One other thing that I have noticed carrying the Kimber too is that it jabs into my leg when I sit with it. Not a huge deal and I am used to that now, but still just an added annoyance. That's been one thing that has also swayed me away from a big gun like a G23.

I think another issue is that my clothing isn't really suited to IWB carry yet. I am jeans and t-shirt most of the time and the t-shirt length is usually about an inch below where my belt sits so concealment where if I move around the butt of the gun could easily find its way out in the open for everyone to see. That could be fixed though with buying longer t-shirts to prevent that. Pants falling down has been a constant issue throughout my life with or without a gun tucked in them. Probably just an issue with my body shape or maybe I was just meant to be a plumber.

I will probably go on a search for a better belt to see what I can find that is suitable and I have also been researching a pocket gun. The reason I think a pocket gun may work is I also have a Sig P238 with a nice pocket holster but for one my wife really likes it and I want to leave that as an option if she decides to daily carry (she has a CHP as well) and I don't want to turn it into my daily carry, two .380 just seems so small to me, 3 I am a huge Glock type of fan with no external safety (I know that is contradictory to the Kimber but like I said the original intention was that I wanted a night stand gun with a built in laser).

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
I don't like varying holsters, carry positions and/or gun types for my primary carry. 

Too many other variables involved to introduce yet more. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Just a suggestion Stoked, take a look at shirts made by "Dickies". They have a longer tail than most other shirts and stay tucked in. Just my 2¢
WØCHF

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »
I don't like varying holsters, carry positions and/or gun types for my primary carry. 

Too many other variables involved to introduce yet more. 

Quoted because it bears repeating.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
Do yourself a favor and the out The Beltman 's website.  They can be a little spendy, however, i have one in black and brown, and wear them both during the work week.  One gets worn 3 times a week, the other gets worn twice, depending on the week.  Have had them over a year now, and honestly, they hardly show any wear.

Like i said, they can get up there in price depending on your options...

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Agree with thirtydaZe.  I've been wearing a 1.5" dual layer bullhide belt
from The Beltman for over four years.  Comfortable with no rollover or stretch .   
Wear if for both outside work and dress casual.  Buckles are removable so you
can change it to your favorite if you wish.After 3.5 years
the finish was getting skuffed up, went to Tandy leather on 84th and
got some good black leather dye, applied it and  it looked like a brand
new belt.  So I guess you get what you pay for.   

I found the synthetic belt's stiff narrower edge to cut into my side/stomach
area when seated.  Cheaper leather belts rolled, stretched and weren't
comfortable.  Didn't want to go wider that 1.5" as it may draw attention
to the belt (not good for CCW). 

Got no horse in this race just got frustrated trying to find something
functional and comfortable for a long time and believe in good quality and
American made.

Offline stroked

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
So another question and maybe why the Glock is more comfortable. How deep does everyone adjust their holsters? Meaning the holes for the belt loops. I have the 1911 fairly high but the kydex is level with my pants line. The Glock holster is set about mid way on the loops but it's about a half inch to an inch below my pants line.

Down side to the Glock holster being that low is I tore out a belt loop on a pair of pants the other day at the range practicing draws somehow.

Another question is how much bigger do you buy your pants? I have heard anywhere from 2 inches to 4 inches in research. As I said, I am a big guy but have been loosing quite a bit of weight I think I am down a total of 6 inches at this point and on average all the pants I wear are around the 4 inches to big range. Honestly, does it matter on the pants size other than how they look? The belt is really what holds the gun right?

Also, not completely set on what my carry gun will be but I want something to stick to (maybe a Glock 27 - pocket when i want / 23 for IWB combo). Like I said I like the Glock alot for the capacity, size, and no safety but the 1911 I shoot better right now. Downside is that I always forget the safety on 1911's. First trigger pull is always dead because I forgot to take it off.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:57:43 AM by stroked »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
I just bought a belt from www.midwestleatherworks.Com .... he is a local guy and NFOA site sponsor!  I just got it last night and it is a huge upgrade from what I have been using.  I will have to wear it a few more times before I declare it the best belt EVER!

I find myself using pocket carry quite often....on a average weekday morning I leave my house, drive a few minutes to a gas station for an iced tea (no coffee  :o)  and then drive a few more minutes to work where I securely store the weapon in my vehicle.  It is a much more convenient process for me vs putting on the holster for such a short trek.  I only pocket carry a fairly small single stack 9 though & cannot imagine anything larger... 

I generally leave my iwb holster set so that the kydex is even or close to the pant line.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline OleSharky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
Another Beltman supporter!  Can't say it's the absolute best as I haven't tried them all but I'm very satisfied.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »

There was a good, recent discussion about pocket carry on here: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,13477.0.html

That thread was one I started when looking for thoughts on pocket carry gun.  Great advice was provided and based on it, plus a visit to Moeller Arms, I ended up buying an LC9-S-Pro.

I have been pocket carrying it for 2 weeks and it meets all of my expectations.

I like pocket carrying it, it fits my hand well and I like how it shoots.

(I started that thread specifically stating I did not want the LC9; however, based on a recommendation I looked at the 'S' version (different trigger) and ended up with Rod selling me the new 'Pro' model.)