< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another reason for LB 289 this legislative session  (Read 1502 times)

Offline sh68137

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Lifer
Another reason for LB 289 this legislative session
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:05:21 AM »
Omaha Ne municipal code of ordinances (during a "declared" state of emergency)

Section 8.85.e Prohibit the sale, carrying or possession on the public street or public sidewalks, or

in any public park or square, of weapons including, but not limited to, firearms, bows and arrows,

air rifles, slingshots, knives, razors or missiles of any kind.

https://www.municode.com/library/ne/omaha/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIIMUCO_CH8DIPR_ARTIVSTEMCU_S8-85REAC
"Only slaves need permission."--SGH

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Another reason for LB 289 this legislative session
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
So it looks like the city is ok with citizens bearing arms except during times when they are most likely to need them.  That would make sense to a political hack I suppose.

I notice it didn't say anything about baseball bats and Molotov cocktails, which I suppose might be called legitimate sporting purpose and improvised illumination devices.  Coming from bureaucrats who apparently fear those they are supposed to serve, I'm surprised their ordinance doesn't say anything about pitchforks.  Especially with this being a farm state.

The ordinance is overridden by the 2nd Amendment, making it illegal.  But I guess it doesn't matter what the law says when people who have no respect for the law have the power to put you in jail.  So this kind of illegal act committed by criminals should be fought.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
Also, this is another reason to have a CHP. All local laws related to possession are preempted for CHP holders.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
Also, this is another reason to have a CHP. All local laws related to possession are preempted for CHP holders.

That's good to know.  Does that mean that in a time of general lawlessness or public danger CHP holders could also carry long guns, even in spite of the illegal ordinance, or would it only apply to concealed handguns? 

Either way, this points to another reason to get the CHP changed to a concealed weapons permit, or maybe make it a general weapons permit.  If the people ever do get fed up with those who try to be our masters, I want to be one of the ones carrying a pitchfork.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
That's good to know.  Does that mean that in a time of general lawlessness or public danger CHP holders could also carry long guns, even in spite of the illegal ordinance, or would it only apply to concealed handguns? 

Either way, this points to another reason to get the CHP changed to a concealed weapons permit, or maybe make it a general weapons permit.  If the people ever do get fed up with those who try to be our masters, I want to be one of the ones carrying a pitchfork.

Per statute, it only applies to the legal carrying of concealed handguns.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=18-1703

18-1703. Ownership, possession, and transportation of concealed handguns; power of cities and villages; existing ordinance, permit, or regulation; null and void.

Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, except as expressly provided by state law, and shall not have the power to require registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act. Any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the act, except as expressly provided under state law, and any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation requiring the registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act, is declared to be null and void as against any permitholder possessing a valid permit under the act.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.