< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part III: Safe Gun Handling  (Read 5207 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part III: Safe Gun Handling
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
The problem with this new video/article is that the people who need it either won't watch it, or don't realize that they do it so they'll watch it, nod, and won't change a thing.  :(

But I wrote it anyway, in the hope that it might help.  Or at least make some people think a bit.

Fundamental Gun Handling Videos: Part III, Safe Gun Handling

As the article says, when I first started recording video, I ended up with about 30 minutes worth of stuff, which I chopped and chopped and edited and chopped---and it was still almost 20 minutes long.  There were just SO MANY THINGS that we see all the time at the range, at matches, in gun stores, in discussions with people (when they talk about their gun handling choices and decisions)---so many cases where people completely break not only one, but several of the rules of safe gun handling---without noticing.

Probably the most obvious are people who wander around (and perform actions on their gun) with their finger on the trigger.  But equally as obvious are the people who don't seem to understand that where ever the muzzle is pointing is a potential issue if it isn't a safe direction. 

"But it's EMPTY!"

I don't care.  Don't point it at me.  (And that "It's empty!" refrain, by the way, is something often heard right before someone shoots something or someone they didn't mean to shoot.)  Amazing how many people come up with excuses for unsafe gun handling, as if there is anything that excuses it?

In my video, I didn't even mention things like "it is stupid to not wear eye and ear protection" or "don't point the gun at yourself while holstering" and many other things---because then the video would have been an hour long.

Like everyone knows, I'm a fan of competition shooting---and in this case, the reason is that if you aren't safe with handguns, you get feedback Right Now Immediately Stop That Don't Ever Do It Again.

Which apparently, many people need.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Re: Fundamental Gun Handling Videos, Part III: Safe Gun Handling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
I am bitterly amused by the fact that after several days the other two threads in this series had several hundred views and some discussion--and this one has only 35. 

The problem with teaching "safe gun handling" is that almost everyone already thinks they are being safe, and so they don't NEED any help.  And yet....

...go to any indoor range for an hour and you'll be swept by others multiple times.  (Just watch from behind the line.  You'll be terrified, and probably STILL get swept at least once.)  Go to any outdoor range and watch people turn around with guns, handle guns while people are in front of them, have their fingers on the trigger when their guns are pointed in all sorts of directions as they work with the gun...

Keeping the finger off the trigger and having muzzle awareness/control are two things that MOST gun owners need to work on, and yet, everyone thinks their gun handling safety practice is just fine.

And it isn't.

Everyone thinks that this thread is about someone else.  It isn't.  It is about how YOU are handling guns, and the excuses you make to yourself.

(As of yesterday about mid-day, this thread had been viewed less than 20 times.  The post on the blog had been read less than 10.  And less than four people had viewed the actual video.)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:54 AM »
Actually 5.  I had my wife watch it with me. FWIW.
Let's not get started on eye protection >:D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
Actually 5.  I had my wife watch it with me. FWIW.

Yay!  :)

eye protection >:D

NO KIDDING.

(That, by the way, is part of a story from last year's IDPA classifier at ENGC wherein a firearms instructor came up to us asking some questions, and when asked to wear eye protection as there was shooting going on, retorted "I'm not on the line!"  He then went to a different bay to "instruct" a student, and we later saw him standing at that student's 2 o'clock position still not wearing eye protection as the student was shooting.  Yes, he was downrange of the student.  Not wearing eye protection.)

I personally like not being blind.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »
I viewed the video yesterday, another well done video. :D

I think the key is to make the 4 safety rules a habit by exercising them every time you touch a gun, if someone does something unsafe they may repeat the action thus making a dangerous act a habit leading to disasters results.

Eye protection is very important. A few years ago I was shooting some older 9mm ammo in a old Taurus PT 99 pistol, I had a stove pipe jam which peppered around my safety glasses with something like hot powder, I could have been in very serious trouble if it wasn't for wearing eye protection.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
Well done, and I can see how you could have easily taken another 20 minutes to cover many details.  A challenge to the rest of the NFOA members.  The next time you are at the range, in a gun shop, or just around anyone handling a gun, watch what the people around you are doing.  Count how many times they break one (or several) of the fundamentals.  At the gun shop, does the customer and clerk check to make sure the gun is not loaded?  Think that is silly?  Have you seen the video of the guy (LEO) who was handed a gun and shot his finger?  Do you see people treating a gun differently when it is "unloaded" compared to when they think it is loaded? Watching others encourages me to try harder to reinforce the basic safety rules, AND I pass it on to anyone I introduce to shooting.  This includes anyone that has shot before, but want to join me at the range to try my guns.  My guns, my rules.

As I have droned on about before, this is something we should ALL be obsessive about.  Every ND is fodder for the anti-gun crowd to take away our rights.  Don't give them an argument against us.

Eye protection is very important. A few years ago I was shooting some older 9mm ammo in a old Taurus PT 99 pistol, I had a stove pipe jam which peppered around my safety glasses with something like hot powder, I could have been in very serious trouble if it wasn't for wearing eye protection.

Absolutely agree.  If I damage my vision, I risk losing my employment.  However, this video/blog was about safe gun handling.  Eye protection, proper clothing, or even ensuring you have a first aid kit available, are separate subjects.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »
Excellent video.  Always good for refreshers, and yes I learned something.  Suggest everyone watch it.

And like Fly, I can see that video easily of 30 min.  So much to cover.

Again, EVERYONE needs to watch it at least once.

Thank you kind sir for the video.  I really appreciate them.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »
I used to think eye protection was unnecessary. Then I got hit in the shoulder by a .22 LR ricochet at an indoor range! No real damage, just a nice little welt, but from that point on I'm anal about eye protection when shooting. That wouldn't have felt good had it been a little bit higher.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »
I dunno.  Needs fire or explosions or bikinis or something. 

:D
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »
I dunno.  Needs fire or explosions or bikinis or something. 

:D

No...wait...what?! It didn't have bikinis, fire, and explosions?  If not, disregard my prior comment.  I was apparently watching the wrong video.

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
No...wait...what?! It didn't have bikinis, fire, and explosions?  If not, disregard my prior comment.  I was apparently watching the wrong video.

Only special people got to watch the GOOD version. 

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
I have finally caught up on the unread posts out here and I am glad I kept going. This was a great video. I took it as a reminder that I need to be ever vigilant with my safety practices and also that I am not out of line when I call someone on their muzzle management.

Once again you have put out a great video that is well worth watching over and over.

Just curious, what are the rules for right handed people?  ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
(That, by the way, is part of a story from last year's IDPA classifier at ENGC wherein a firearms instructor came up to us asking some questions, and when asked to wear eye protection as there was shooting going on, retorted "I'm not on the line!"  He then went to a different bay to "instruct" a student, and we later saw him standing at that student's 2 o'clock position still not wearing eye protection as the student was shooting.  Yes, he was downrange of the student.  Not wearing eye protection.)
I remember that guy.  He was trying to walk on and shoot the match. 
I know one thing for sure; any 'instructor' who walks around a live firing line without eyes and ears is never going to instruct me in anything >:D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
I remember that guy.  He was trying to walk on and shoot the match. 
I know one thing for sure; any 'instructor' who walks around a live firing line without eyes and ears is never going to instruct me in anything >:D

He's the guy whose students were pointing guns at each other in the classroom of a CCW State course, as shown in the pictures he posted on his business website and on his business Facebook page.  (Which he thought were good business pictures showing how great his classes were.)

They have since been taken down after many people went ballistic about the lack of safety, but I'm sure people still have copies.

Oddly enough, his training business still gets people defending/suggesting it to others, so apparently safety still isn't that important to many people.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
Just curious, what are the rules for right handed people?  ;D

Right-handed people need to just suck it up and learn to shoot with the proper hand.

:P

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »
The easiest and most sure fired way to develop a "flinch" is to shoot without hearing protection.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »
Oddly enough, his training business still gets people defending/suggesting it to others, so apparently safety still isn't that important to many people.

Many people who show confidence, are friendly, and have a good classroom presence can instruct others who are less educated on a subject and convince them of many things that are simply wrong.  I had a flight instructor who starved my engine of fuel (on a single engine airplane) and had me dead stick it to landing.  It all worked out, and at the time I thought it was awesome.  UNTIL I gained some experience, and realized how dangerous and stupid that was.

Fly