< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: EDC knife suggestions...  (Read 7210 times)

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
EDC knife suggestions...
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
I recently started carrying a knife every day to see if it was for me. I bought a cheap Snap On knife at Menards and it has proved its usefulness. However, it is not exactly what I want and is not very high quality. I want something with a pocket clip and assisted opening as I will be clipping it to my off hand pocket. The blade needs to be 3 to 3.5 inches. It does not need to be top notch and I feel my budget tops at around $50 unless a great deal presents itself. I like that idea of at least having something when I can't carry a firearm which is most of the time. I also find myself needing a knife as a tool several times a day.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: EDC knife suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:14:40 PM »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
That is nice! I think my wife would use it on me if I spent that much, though. Another consideration is that it will have a fair chance of being lost at some point.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
Once Rick buys my CZ, I'll pick this up for my EDC.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Marfione-Custom-Knives-Project-X--13562

Seriously, this is what I carry, even though I wish it did have a clip.  Got mine in the Bargin Cave at Cabela's for a lot less.  Under $100 OTD.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Heguni-Folding-Knife-482--11151

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
That is nice! I think my wife would use it on me if I spent that much, though. Another consideration is that it will have a fair chance of being lost at some point.

that's why I don't have a wife!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
I alternate between Spyderco, Ontario Rat and Benchmade for the most part.

If you want to be able to carry clipped in your left pocket, look for knives that have a clip that can be moved from one side to the other.

I'm confident that you can find either a Spyderco or Ontario Rat with ambidextrous clip and decent quality action and blade material in your budget.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »
Benchmade Griptilian...the axis lock negates the need for assisted opening.

3.45" blade, reversible clip

Mine is a D2 blade and it is a tough mofo, but this is probably over budget
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:35 PM »
I carry one similar to this one... different generation but similar.  I've had mine for three years and wear it every day.  I've abused the heck out of it, but it still sharpens up nicely. 
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWMP5L-Linerlock-Generation/dp/B0037H29XE/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1424912513&sr=8-31&keywords=smith+and+wesson+knife
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
I'm with HuskerXDM on the S&W.  My EDC knife is a S&W Special Tactical CKTACS.  Has a Tanto style blade and also has a serated portion.  It is NOT assisted opening but it does have a the thumb assist / flip open design.  Not even sure if you can get it anymore but they make others similar. 

S&W makes some nice inexpensive knives that really hold up.  I beat mine up daily and it holds up well.  Rubberized grip.  Shows no signs of wear and the handle has as much integrity as the day it came out of the box.  Doesn't break the bank if you leave it somewhere or lose it.

Before you go spend half a fortune on a knife, check them out.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »
I have been looking at S&W knives. I already like their guns. That is probably the direction I will head.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:23 PM »
I carry cheap folders that take an edge very easily...............course they lose that edge almost as quickly   :P :P :laugh:

I carry cheap because I KNOW at some point it will get misplaced, or broken, or "borrowed" and not returned............its a tool no more no less

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
Some Nebraska Statutes Pertaining to Knives:

28-1201. Terms, defined.
For purposes of sections 28-1201 to 28-1212.04, unless the context otherwise requires:
(5) Knife means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds;

28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense
(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

Annotations
The Legislature intended the words "with a blade over three and one-half inches" to apply to daggers, dirks, knives, and stilettos, such that any of these items having blades over 3 1/2 inches are "knives" under subsection (4) of this section.  Daggers, dirks, knives, or stilettos with blades over 3 1/2 inches are knives per se.

When a case involves an instrument not specifically named in subsection (4) of this section, the State bears the burden of proving that the instrument is a dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, and thus is a "knife" for purposes of section 28-1205(1). State v. Bottolfson, 259 Neb. 470, 610 N.W.2d 378 (2000).
======================================================================

fyi,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »
Thanks for posting that, I have been researching it, mostly on here. Another note: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/16/second-amendment-protects-dirk-knives-and-police-batons/

The court’s holding that the right to bear arms includes non-firearms, such as knives and batons, is consistent with the bulk of modern precedent on the subject; for other cases striking down bans on such weapons, see State v. Griffin, 47 A.3d 487 (Del. 2012) (knives); People v. Yanna, 824 N.W.2d 241 (stun guns and Tasers); 1986 Fla. Op. Att’y Gen. 2 (stun guns and Tasers); State v. Delgado, 692 P.2d 610 (Or. 1984) (switchblades); State v. Blocker, 630 P.2d 824 (Or. 1981) (billy clubs); State v. Kessler, 614 P.2d 94 (Or. 1980) (billy clubs); Barnett v. State, 695 P.2d 991 (Or. Ct. App. 1985) (blackjacks). But see City of Seattle v. Evans (Wash. 2014) (concluding that kitchen knives aren’t constitutionally protected, but not deciding about knives more broadly); State v. Swanton, 629 P.2d 98, 98 (Ariz. Ct. App. 1981) (holding that nunchakus are not arms, because “arms” is limited to “such arms as are recognized in civilized warfare and not those used by a ruffian, brawler or assassin”).

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:55 PM »
Some Nebraska Statutes Pertaining to Knives:

28-1201. Terms, defined.
For purposes of sections 28-1201 to 28-1212.04, unless the context otherwise requires:
(5) Knife means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds;

28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense
(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

Annotations
The Legislature intended the words "with a blade over three and one-half inches" to apply to daggers, dirks, knives, and stilettos, such that any of these items having blades over 3 1/2 inches are "knives" under subsection (4) of this section.  Daggers, dirks, knives, or stilettos with blades over 3 1/2 inches are knives per se.

When a case involves an instrument not specifically named in subsection (4) of this section, the State bears the burden of proving that the instrument is a dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, and thus is a "knife" for purposes of section 28-1205(1). State v. Bottolfson, 259 Neb. 470, 610 N.W.2d 378 (2000).
======================================================================

fyi,

sfg

SemperFiGuy et al,

Am I wrong in my interpretation that any knife (over 3 1/2" blade) are not concealed (and therefore not a chargeable offense) if they are clipped to the pocket so that they are partially exposed?  Is this not the benefit of having it clipped in your pocket?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
Fly,

IANAL, however from a purely semantics interpretation, the "belt clip" on a knife is meant to be attached to te belt, therefore not concealed. However, that is my interpretation, and the pocket v. belt aspect is arguable. Also, clipped inside a pocket v. degree of concealment could also be arguable.

In other words, who the hell knows:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
Am I wrong in my interpretation that any knife (over 3 1/2" blade) are not concealed (and therefore not a chargeable offense) if they are clipped to the pocket so that they are partially exposed?  Is this not the benefit of having it clipped in your pocket?

I just plain don't know.   Because...............

Now we may be moving into that muddy area known as case law.   Which is the situation where the written law/statute is not sufficiently clear, is vague, and/or silent on a particular fine point.

Then it has to come up in an actual trial and be ruled upon by the trial judge.   Thereby setting a precedent which can be used in future similar situations.

Like....Here's one for us to ponder
:
Is the actual blade length of the knife measured (a) straight out from the hilt or else (b) along the curve of the blade?  (Not my question; someone else raised it elsewhere.  I wasn't bright enough to think about it.)

As can be seen up above, the written Nebraska statute isn't clear.   So if some over-eager prosecutor uses the curve measurement on a cutting device with blade that's 3.5 inches straight out in order to claim that it's over 3.5 inches in length and therefore a knife, the defense attorney will need to object and the judge will probably rule.   Thereby setting a precedent.

We need Citizen Clark to show us how to search for case laws.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
I'm too lazy to search for the answer, but if the definition of "Concealed" for firearms can be applied to a knife, then it is not concealed if ANY part of it can be seen.  In that sense, my pocket knife clipped inside a pocket is quite visible, and thus, not concealed.

ETA: To expand upon my logic, if it is not technically "concealed", then you can carry any blade length.  The blade length itself is not against the law, just the act of concealing a bladed over 3 1/2".

Fly
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:57:02 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
I carry cheap folders that take an edge very easily...............course they lose that edge almost as quickly   [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji23]

I carry cheap because I KNOW at some point it will get misplaced, or broken, or "borrowed" and not returned............its a tool no more no less
Same boat. I have a pile of free knives from bassproshop customer nights. They look nice for awhile not a great blade but always serves it's purpose.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
i liked my crkt heiho a ton. right in that price range, deep concealment, assisted opening, and held an edge decently. kind of sad since losing it. now i carry a benchmade mini griptillian.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »
I'm partial to Kershaw.  You get a lot of knife for the money.