< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is your choice of cleaning solution for your guns?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What is your choice of cleaning solution for your guns?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
I use brake cleaner,CLP, Wipeout and Slip EWL, but I rarely clean my AR15's or Glocks. I might douse the bolts after a run of Wolf ammo...but my reloads run pretty clean. I probably go 1000 rounds between full cleanings, even my Trap shotguns only get cleaned once a year after the season is over

Glad I'm not the only one Dan!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one Dan!
If my firearms choke on a little dirt, then I either need to fix them or replace them
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Tstephens

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »
I have no doubt my glock would work just fine not cleaning it much at all. My grandpa instilled in me at young age to clean every time the gun is shot so I stick to cleaning them after each use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
If my firearms choke on a little dirt, then I either need to fix them or replace them

Well...yes and no.  I think it is a good idea to push your firearm to see how far it will go before it starts to experience issues.  That is all part of knowing your firearm(s).  But if you are trusting a particular firearm for SD, why let it get anywhere close to that threshold otherwise?  If you know they work better "dirty", then that's another thing, but I don't think too many guns have issues because of being clean.  Mind you this is different than running a copper brush down the barrel after every 100 rounds.  That could be damaging.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Nebraska.Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner

Offline mister

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
I've switched three of my firearms to FrogLube over the last year and a half. Strip off the petroleum based lube first, and don't switch back and forth.
The gun-safe is NOT the safest place for your firearm. Your firearm is safest when you wear it!
*NFOA Member
*NRA Endowment Member

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »
This is interesting to see all the different things people use.  When I was a kid we used an old flannel shirt cut up into squares and a straightened out coat hanger as a rod.  Plain old 30 weight motor oil was our lube.  Maybe we would use some of that very thin petroleum stuff we fueled the lawn mower with if we needed to. Other wise just wipe out the old powder residue, wipe it down with a very little bit of oil and put it away. 

I got my first real cleaning kit in about '75 when I worked at a farm store where we sold guns and ammo and shooting supplies.  Yes, you could still get 'em at some hardware stores back then. 

I still have that kit and the gun oil that came with it is... take a guess... just 30 weight motor oil in a little squirt bottle.  You can tell by the smell. 

The cleaner is a little better smelling version of Hoppes.  It is Outer's gun cleaner.  I still like that smell better than Hoppes.

;)
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »

You got that one right.   Probably requires an MS in Chemistry to get it right the first time.

Old Timers rave about it.   Maybe they drink the stuff at the end of the cleaning job.

I happen to use conventional cleaning materials direct from the store shelf:

>Hoppe's #9
>Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and other products. 
>Q20 Blu works very well as a surface finishing oil for storage. 
>Shooter's Choice to remove copper from bores.

Still looking for something that Removes Lead Like Magic.  Instead of having to brush, brush, brush, brush..................................

sfg

Missouri Bullet sells a lead removal system that looks like it works pretty well.  Might check it out sometime, it's advertised on their main page (or it use to be).

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Tstephens

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
Well...yes and no.  I think it is a good idea to push your firearm to see how far it will go before it starts to experience issues.  That is all part of knowing your firearm(s).  But if you are trusting a particular firearm for SD, why let it get anywhere close to that threshold otherwise?  If you know they work better "dirty", then that's another thing, but I don't think too many guns have issues because of being clean.  Mind you this is different than running a copper brush down the barrel after every 100 rounds.  That could be damaging.

Fly

Amen