< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger Mini 14 opinions  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Jerry Lundegard

• Powder Benefactor
Ruger Mini 14 opinions
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
I have an opportunity to buy a very lightly used mini14.  Synthetic stock, 18.5 inch stainless barrel. Seller ( I trust him so this number is accurate) has about 250 rounds through it.  It was purchased new about 5 months ago. 500 cash.

Any opinions on this rifle pro or con? Generally seems to be a well regarded rifle with decent, but not great, accuracy. The main downside I tend to read  about is the cost of magazines.  I find that there is more honesty here than on most review sites. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:30:56 PM by Jerry Lundegard »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Ruger Mini 14 opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »
 the ones that I have worked on have been very picky on ammo, it just don't like them, and having to actually grab the magazine to rock the mag foreward to get it out, then rock the new one in,  rather than dropping it out with the push of the button like a Ar , I just don't like them
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
I had one for several years and decided to sell it.  Seems like the thin barrel heats up pretty fast and accuracy goes down; at least that was my experience.  I don't remember if it was chambered in .223 or 5.56 because back then I didn't know there was a difference, but now knowing what I know I wouldn't buy a rifle with .223 stamped on it, because I want it to shoot the broadest range of ammo it can, and I especially want it to be able to shoot military ammo.  So if it doesn't have 5.56 stamped on it (or maybe .223 Wylde, which seems unlikely), I wouldn't buy it.  Depends on your purpose though.  There are people who like the rifle; I'm just not one of them, for the reasons I gave.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »
As a basic iron sights/red dot truck gun, I like the Mini-14 ranch rifle.  It isn't necessarily a tack driver unless you do work on it, but you can beat it up and it'll still shoot exactly the same.  As a "throw it in the back and ignore it" gun that you might use for shots from 50-150 yards, I think it is a great gun.

....which doesn't take away from the fact that I like ARs a lot better, for many reasons.  :)

So, my REAL answer is:  It depends on what you were planning to use it for.

If you want tack-driving accuracy, or are planning on taking it hunting for 250-yard game, well....you can make it work.  But it'll take work, and there are easier guns to do this with.

Price-wise, seems to be perfectly decent, though I would ask how many magazines you are getting with it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
When you want your magazine to fall out, tilt your barrel down about 4 inches and push forward on the magazine release.  The Mini 14 can take a heck of a beating and keep working.  I have seen some go 14000 rounds before needing work.  It is not an AR, that is why the price is a little cheaper.  A KIA will get you around, but a Lexus will do it with more comfort.  Same difference between a Mini and an AR.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Entry level AR's from places like Palmetto State Armory are so inexpensive these days that I really don't see reason to buy a Mini. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
Entry level AR's from places like Palmetto State Armory are so inexpensive these days that I really don't see reason to buy a Mini. 

It hurts me less to scratch/dent a Mini than it does to do something similar to an AR.  :)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Hondo

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
I bought a Mini-14 several years ago, I'm not really a 'black rifle' guy.  The newer models have a beefed up barrel that improves accuracy and doesn't heat up as much.  Mine eats anything I feed it.  And yes they shoot both 5.56 & .223.  I love mine.  Accuracy is not an issue for my uses.  $ 500 seems like a great price. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
It hurts me less to scratch/dent a Mini than it does to do something similar to an AR.  :)

I throw all my AR's down the driveway to get that broken in look.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »

I bet the neighbors love you   :)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
+1
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Seekrit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
Great rifle. Great price. Hope you've bought it by now.

Offline brass shower

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Late to the discussion but I've always loved the Ruger Mini's. They aren't the most accurate rifles, nor the fastest to reload, or even the most customizeable, but they have their own strengths that are worth consideration.

Accuracy: Definitely the first thing that gets mentioned when we talk about the Mini 14. The pencil profile barrels of the early models are prone to barrel whip and the groups open up further after shooting a few rounds. That said, post 2005 models are more accurate due to a slightly heavier barrel, and the recent "Tactical" models with an even thicker barrel and threaded muzzles will go toe to toe with a cheap stock AR. Like most other things in life, accuracy can be improved by throwing money at the problem.  Accu-struts and muzzle weight reduce barrel harmonics and tighten groups. Cryo treatment adds no weight and will improve groups and reduce accuracy degradation from a hot barrel. Target models and aftermarket bull barrels from Accuracy Systems Inc can be had for a small fortune.

Straight-stock designs such as the Mini offer their own inherent advantages and disadvantages. For some a straight stock is faster and more natural to point and operate than a pistol gripped rifle though an AR with a collapsing telestock has more adjustability for different sized shooters. The Mini's straight stock design is more compatible with narrow storage spaces. It has a shorter vertical profile, a consideration for storage and caching. An AR measures about 9" top to bottom at the widest points with standard sights. The Mini measures about 5".  The Mini's straight stock design allows for lower sight and scope height over the barrel. In practical application this lets the rifleman use his cover more effectively. His head doesn't protrude as high above the barrel when firing from behind cover, presenting less of a target. When shooting through a peephole, a smaller hole can be utilized. The flip side of this (pun intended) is more muzzle rise during recoil than an AR due to the higher bore axis. The Mini's design is compatible with folding stocks to reduce front to back overall length. The AR has a folding stock option but is cost prohibitive and renders the rifle unusable until deployed. I'm not a fan of bullpup stocks but that option is available for the Mini if that's your bag.

Aesthetics: They bear strong resemblance to the M1 Garand, M1A, and M1 Carbine. In my own subjective opinion an iron and wood stocked rifle has more character than an all black AR, and looks less threatening than an AR or AK. If used in self defense it's not as scary to a jury as an evil black bullet hose.

Takedown: The Mini has less serviceable parts to lose and is easy to take down.  Pull open the trigger guard and the rifle practically disassembles itself. Care must be taken when scrubbing the bore as you can only insert a cleaning rod through the muzzle. If using a sectioned cleaning rod use a bore guide to preserve the barrel crown.

Lightweight: Depending on the configuration, generally at least a pound or two less than most stock AR's though exceptions exist.

Durability: I've broke an AR charging handle trying to extract a stuck case.  The Mini's steel operating rod/slide assembly is stronger than the AR's thin aluminum charging handle. The Mini's extractor is wider and beefier so it's less prone to breakage and less likely to shear the rim off a sticking case. Unfortunately Ruger has not yet learned the benefits of nitriding or chrome lining so barrel life will be shorter than that of a lined AR barrel.

Operating system: The Mini uses piston operation rather than direct gas impingement. Put rudely,  the Mini doesnt sh*t where it eats like an AR so it's easier to keep the receiver clean and the operator won't get sprayed with hot gasses in the face. It's also less sensitive to over or under lubrication and the generous tolerances of the open receiver are less likely to gum up with sand and debris that might find its way in than an AR. The Mini's bolt is out in the open and easy to view without tilting the rifle 90 degrees to peek into a narrow ejection port so checking to see if a cartridge is in the chamber is easier both visually and by touch in the dark. The operating handle reciprocates, so care must be taken to keep fingers and objects out of its way when firing, but pushing a stubborn bolt into battery is easier with this type of charging design than the forward assist afterthought on an AR.

Magazine changes: Generally slower than an AR but can be sped up with custom parts and training.

Magazine availability: Factory mags are best, aftermarket mags are problematic for the most part though I've had good luck with Thermold and Tapco magazines, as well as Beta-C and MWG drums

Optics: Though iron sight options are limited and difficult to adjust, the Ranch and post 2005 Mini models are easy to scope. Ultimak makes a picatinny scout rail that replaces the upper handguard and works great for forward optic fans.

Sorry for the long winded post, I hope this gives any potential buyers some things to consider before dismissing the Mini.