< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for a local AK builder/Armorer expert.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
Looking for a local AK builder/Armorer expert.
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
 I have a new Waffen Werks 74 that went pretty much straight back in for warranty work after I received it. They said they straightened a canted sight but there are still issues and I'd like to talk to an expert on these guns directly. Somebody who would have the ability to press in/out barrels and/or straightening reinstalling trunions.
  Any suggestions for someone like this in the eastern NE area? Thanks for any help.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looking for a local AK builder/Armorer expert.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
There is a s dealer in Palmyra that is really into Aks and mausers and  his name is Terry Edwards. Shoot me a PM for his contact info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:37:04 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:12 AM »
Logan Smith of Smith Arms and Ammo in Ashland did a good job for me working on an AR15; he's good and ethical and he doesn't charge a lot.  I don't know if he knows the AK rifles or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Here's a link to his website:
http://www.smitharmsandammo.com/about-contact-us.html
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
Does the gun run or is it just a canted front sight?

You mentioned straightening the trunnion, what's the problem?

Does it have a NDS receiver or a WW?

Do the rails measure the same from the top of the receiver?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:56:45 AM by Mark B »

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
The gun runs and functions fine. I sent it back for warranty work(DDI)  because my front sight had to be maxed out to the left just to get on paper. They said they straightened a canted front sight, ok. But I had told them many times the barrel does not appear to be square with the receiver or with the gas tube. Getting it on target at 25yrds is not a big deal but at 100 yards this gun is spraying all over the place. I can fire it along side it's twin that my buddy has and it's a night and day difference, Irons or optics, there is absolutely no consistency, even for an AK. I had short barrel AMD-65 chambered in 7.62x39 that was more accurate than this and that doesn't make any sense. Even if the trunion was off a little the barrel should consistently place shots in the same 5-8" area at 100 yards. I suspect the trunion may be off but I also think the barrel may have been damaged when it was being pressed in. 

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »
It is a Waffen Werks(US) receiver with a US Barrel.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Sounds like a junk barrel and I wouldn't mess with it.  I'd say send it back and tell them you want a new rifle.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
I have heard from a couple of owners that some WW receivers were both drilled inaccurately and formed with a slight twist. This will not cause the accuracy problems you are experiencing. Bolt rails have also been off which causes the bolt to run low on one side or the other, still this causes function problems not accuracy. I have installed barrels with both presses and bolts and I don't see how the barrel could be damaged in a way that would cause your problem. The front trunnion is merely the connection mechanism between the receiver and the barrel. Removing and installing barrels should never harm a trunnion. Its possible that the barrel was a 2 and the trunnion was a 1 causing a difficult install but still wouldn't affect accuracy. Like FarmerRick said the problem is probably with the barrel.

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:43:14 PM »
I talked to the local person that was recommended in Palmyra, Terry Edwards. He was very nice. He suggested trying to get the mfg to back it up because the only alternative is literally rebuilding the gun. DDI, Destructive Devices Industries, is handling all the warranty work for waffen werks. They are going to send another call tag for the rifle and test it at 100 yards. Something is definitely wrong. If I'm on target at 25 yards I should be pretty close at 100. At 100 it's shooting at least 12" to the left and all over the map. The barrel has a definite can't to the left exiting the receiver when I look down on to the top of the gun. So, it stands to reason, the farther this gun is asked to shoot the more to the left the shot will be. More concerning even still, is that there is no consistency at all when trying to determine where the gun is grouping. One thing for sure, I'm almost guaranteed a valuable learning experience here.