< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: church stock holder tries to stop walmart from selling guns  (Read 1029 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
church stock holder tries to stop walmart from selling guns
« on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
  Im not sure if it is right for a church that holds stock in a company should be able to force the company to stop selling guns, whats next? birth control in the pharmacy? I think a church should stick to God and not try and control what a company sells,
   and somehow I don't think a church buying stock goes along with a non profit stance.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/7/wal-mart-franchisees-pushing-retailer-to-cease-sel/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:26:54 PM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: church stock holder tries to stop walmart from selling guns
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
Walnart?   Yeah, shooter, saw that today also, wrong on all kinds of levels.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
A Non Profit can make as much profit as they want as long as it is re-invested or spent on the entity.

Say a Catholic church spends 10 million on gold bling for the priests, if the value of gold goes up, they have not made a profit if they buy some diamonds to add with the gold.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
As David pointed out, it's ok for a church to commit capitalism as long as the profit it makes is used for doing charitable things, like feeding the poor or repairing the church roof, for example.  I'd think there would be limits, like for example could a church make millions of dollars in profit and then decide to pay its pastor those millions of dollars?  Seems like Jeremiah Wright gets a pretty good paycheck though, so who knows.  Maybe I should designate my house as a church. 

When it comes to a church, or any charitable organization, using leverage its investment has to bully a business it's invested in into following church doctrine, that doesn't seem right to me.  But I'm not a lawyer.  Maybe we could ask Lois Lerner; I think that's her department, or was, and she should have plenty of time on her hands these days.

A church that follows liberal doctrine on civilian disarmament should read the Bible more closely.  This is something Jesus said on the subject when he was getting his disciples ready to go out on the road without him:
And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."  Luke 22:36
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
Shareholders can propose anything they want. Unless they can get enough other shareholders to agree, so that they control more than 50% of the shares, their proposal will go nowhere. It's very difficult to force management to change policy. If the company is doing well, few shareholders will support changes. Dropping a profitable business segment isn't going to increase sales. When forced to choose between the success of their investment and a social argument by a small group, most shareholders will go for the money.