< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FEMA prep app  (Read 1448 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
FEMA prep app
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
Just downloaded the FEMA app from the Apple App Store. It's pretty good. Nice clean navigation.  It consolidates National Weather Service alerts, from up to five U.S. locations of your choosing, with a few other handy features. It lets you and your kids keep a list of your "family emergency plan" post-disaster meeting locations (to supplement paper copies --- don't want to rely on electronics alone.)  Also is set up to let you search your area for shelters and medical countermeasures points of distribution, post-disaster.

There's a feature where you can also upload disaster site pictures if you're first on the scene. Other than your fifteen minutes of fame I'm not sure what the emergency response purpose of that is. I guess it would be helpful for outside responders to get an impression of what the post-tornado twisted rubble looks like.  :)

It does not replace Wireless Emergency Alerts, AMBER alerts, etc. that are probably already built into your smartphone, but it is nice to program the weather alert sites for different family locations or your business offices around the country. 

I also see a section with recommended and customizable disaster prep kit checklists, but haven't clicked around in there much.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK