< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting at Big Shots ??  (Read 2698 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Shooting at Big Shots ??
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Any members have first hand accounts?  I hope this business doesn't become Lincoln's Bullet Hole. :(
LINCOLN, NEB - 04/15/2015 Lincoln Fire and Rescue and Lincoln Police Department personnel respond to a man who was reportedly shot in the head on Wednesday, April 15, 2015, at Big Shots Indoor Range. MATT

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/west-o-street-traffic-slowed-by-gun-range-shooting-medical/article_f9922feb-7def-5912-bf0d-f9364b6fb056.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:24:12 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Shooting at Big Shots ??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
News says self inflicted.

Dang, bad press for this business in the last week:    http://journalstar.com/news/local/man-goes-to-prison-for-possessing-gun/article_d203b757-7216-5093-9065-72e622fec285.html

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
WOW!  I guess I've never rented a gun, but I would think there would be a request for good guy card?  Or fill out and ATF form?   (Don't get me wrong, I'm not for any owner restrictions- Just wondering what's out there to protect the FFL/ range owner from liability. ??
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »
WOW!  I guess I've never rented a gun, but I would think there would be a request for good guy card?  Or fill out and ATF form?   (Don't get me wrong, I'm not for any owner restrictions- Just wondering what's out there to protect the FFL/ range owner from liability. ??
Well it's been a few years, but when I rented from the Bullet Hole you had to have ID that matched a permit to purchase or concealed carry.  You also had to use their ammo. 

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »
Q: Do I need to own a handgun or long gun to shoot on the gun range?A: No. At BigShots we have a wide variety of rental guns.  As long as you are permitted by law to possess a firearm and are at least 18 (long gun) or 21 (handgun) we may be able to rent you a firearm.  It is preferred that renters have either a Concealed Handgun permit or Firearms Purchase Permit, exceptions may be made.  You must be 21 or older to purchase pistol ammo and 18 or older to purchase long gun ammo

I wonder how these folks got past that, and who would go to all the trouble to get a permit to inflict upon themselves?  (If indeed that's what happened here)  I just don't get it.  ( I've been in a dark place in my past- This is not a scenario that ever crossed my mind. )
As someone else commented- I feel for any new shooter/ kid that may have also been there, having to witness this.    :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:49:01 PM by NE Bull »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:48 PM »
I remember when the BH had that happen.  That is just totally not cool for those at the gym around the guy, nor for the employees.  What an asshat thing to do :(.

Sympathies go out to everyone :(

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
sad.  :(
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:10 PM »
Suicides at public gun ranges, unfortunately, are not an uncommon occurrence. The Bullet Hole has had three. The first occurred at their old location on L St. That suicide was with a rented gun. After that happened we added the permit or military ID requirement to rent guns. The following two suicides happened at the current location. Both were members and I believe each used their own guns.

There is absolutely no way to prevent this if someone is committed to doing it and Big Shots should hold no liability. I feel bad for the range workers and anyone else who had to witness it. Best thing they can do is to be open for business tomorrow.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »
Damn shame.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
Suicides at public gun ranges, unfortunately, are not an uncommon occurrence....

Roger that.

This issue is discussed every year at the NRA Range Conference.   Not exactly a common practice, but happens often enough.  Too often, actually.

Guy comes in, rents handgun.   Bangs away for a while.   Then.....One Last Shot.

They are usually alone, solitary.   Some range operators will not rent handguns to a single, lone individual.   Apparently, these Last Timers will put the range personnel through this mess, but they tend not to do the same thing to their friends, buddies, etc.

Go Figger.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:04:49 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 10:44:05 PM »
Pretty common occurrence at the Bullet Hole in Omaha
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
Or was it ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:31:01 AM by bullit »

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »
Pretty common occurrence at the Bullet Hole in Omaha

And now there has been a suicide at Big Shots in Lincoln. Whats your point?

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »
It's just TBH had the bad rep.  I just hate for this to become a thing for any place. :( 

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »
As of now, NO suicide has occurred as the gun shot self inflictee is still among the living .....

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »
Well, there is a positive

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
As of now, NO suicide has occurred as the gun shot self inflictee is still among the living .....

Attempted suicide then. I have transported these unfortunate souls both to the ER and to long term rehab and care facilities. There is only one patient I can recall in my career that recovered fully (minus an eye). The others suffered quite severe brain trauma that resulted in permanent mental and physical disabilities. He would have had better luck using the already proven effective train tracks about a block away.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Indeed Shawn ... saw a couple similar "failures" while covering head and neck trauma at the ER at Camp Pendleton back in the '90s.  One unfortunate young man who survived his attempt did the common lean forward while reaching for the trigger on his SG only accomplishing blowing the bottom half of his face off.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »
I'll have to Hug a Range Officer the next time I'm at Big Shots.  What a terrible incident to have to manage.  And all their staff are top-shelf guys.   

Sorry, I know I should be more sypathetic to the deranged self-shooter, but it takes a real turd to do that to people around you. 
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
I guess we shouldn't get too worked up until we know if it was intentional or a negligence sort of thing (ie the classic- it don't work, so I'm going to look down the barrel. - I've seen it TOO many times to rule it out. )