< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Exclusive: Negotiating Rights Away-NRA's Cynical Secret "Deal With The Devil"  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
 http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2015/04/ssi-exclusive-negotiating-rights-away.html

SSI Exclusive: Negotiating Rights Away. Cynical Secret "Deal With The Devil" Confirmed. NRA, ATF & bi-partisan group of politicians agree to save ATF from itself and widen the definition of "sporting purposes." "A hole big enough to drive Diane Feinstein's limousine through."

From the press room of the NRA National Meeting, Nashville, TN: Sipsey Street Irregulars can now confirm the broad outlines of a story first disclosed two days ago by National Gun Rights Examiner columnist David Codrea. Last week, a secret deal involving the National Rifle Association lobbying arm and brokered by politicians of both national political parties was struck in Washington DC that would save the ATF from the political and legal consequences of its own regulatory errors. In the process, this deal would broaden the language of the 1968 Gun Control Act regarding "sporting purposes" and allow ATF to extract itself from the potentially catastrophic political damage of enforcing its arbitrary ruling that makes every owner of a pistol grip 12 Gauge shotgun like the Mossberg Cruiser a felon in possession of a "destructive device" subject to the penalties of the National Firearms Act of 1934 -- currently up to 10 years in federal prison and a quarter million dollar fine.

~read more at the link~
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
I must be missing something.  By broadening the definition of "sporting purposes" we seem to be regaining ground.  Yes, the ATF gets to wipe some egg off of their collective faces but we regain rights rather than losing them ... if I understand this correctly.  The reporting is a bit vague.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
"They are frightened to death that either case may go to discovery and reveal their whole sorry rule-making mess." Said another, "There are people currently rotting in federal prison on NFA violations and others walking around scot-free. At some point, unless the Congress gives them the cover by changing the law, they are going to have to explain that in open court.""

Allowing the AFT off the hook allows it to continue with its chicanery. To me, it is obvious that the leadership of the NRA HAS AIDED AND ABETTED this scheme to continue the suppression of the 2A.

The NRA's power comes from the size of its membership.  If the members move enmass to another national organization which has a better grasp of the meaning and purpose of the 2A we will all benefit. Otherwise it is business as usual at the AFT-NRA.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Allowing the AFT off the hook allows it to continue with its chicanery.

This part makes sense, but doesn't correlate well to the title of the article.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Why should this be surprise?  When you have a Board of Directors composed of a former US Senator who likes to play "footsie" with other men in the bathroom (Larry Craig) and a retired TX DPS Trooper/TX Ranger who feels "civilians" should not own "assault rifles" (Joaquin Jacka$$ .... I mean Jackson), nothing amazes me with the NRA ... and yes I am a 30 year Life/Endowment Member ....

Farmer Rick and I are going over to NAGR ....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
By broadening the definition of "sporting purposes" we seem to be regaining ground
They intend to use it to ban more ammo imports and armor piercing BS
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
They intend to use it to ban more ammo imports and armor piercing BS

Seems just the opposite to me.  By broadening the definition of "sporting purposes" more types of ammunition would fit into the definition ... including those types historically defined as such and only recently defined differently.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Any sporting use language is a knife in the back of the Second Amendment, and should be removed.  It never should have been there in the first place, and definitely should have been removed after the Heller Decision, which affirmed (among other things) that the word arms means what it says, and is not in any way limited to things you go hunting with.  It is absolutely absurd to pretend that a gun is legitimate only if its purpose is trivial (which is what sporting means).  I don't know why the NRA insists on sleeping with whores, but if it was up to me instead of them... well it's probably just as well to say that even though I don't like their methods, if I had my way things might have gotten really bad.  So maybe they're wiser than me. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Any sporting use language is a knife in the back of the Second Amendment, and should be removed.  It never should have been there in the first place, and definitely should have been removed after the Heller Decision, which affirmed (among other things) that the word arms means what it says, and is not in any way limited to things you go hunting with.

I agree...allowing the redefinition of the "sporting purpose" language gives it more legitimacy rather than removing it as a qualifier as the Heller decision seems to support.

While it is possible that we could gain in some manner, these gains are at the whim of BATFE and IMHO are not a "regaining " of any right, but rather a reaffirmation that the 2nd Amendment violations supported by the "sporting purposes" language continue unchallenged, and with NRA approval.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
I see this as winloss.. Good to see the ATF back down a little but I also think that they should be taken to court and driven into the ground where they belong. Hopefully some of the companies with law suits see the need for there cause and press on just based on the fact the ATF will slap them in the face the next time they get a chance.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
I have felt for a long time that the NRA works to make sure they will always have an adversary. All anti 2A legislation has been passed on their watch. If a large percentage of their base were to suddenly leave, maybe they would pull their head out. Maybe all of our efforts would be better utilized behind SAF.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
I agree...allowing the redefinition of the "sporting purpose" language gives it more legitimacy rather than removing it as a qualifier as the Heller decision seems to support.

While it is possible that we could gain in some manner, these gains are at the whim of BATFE and IMHO are not a "regaining " of any right, but rather a reaffirmation that the 2nd Amendment violations supported by the "sporting purposes" language continue unchallenged, and with NRA approval.

I agree that the "sporting purpose" language is an infringement.  However, that language is not new nor does this deal expand the limitations related to that language.  In fact, this deal would reduce the limitations. 

I think my biggest issue is with the quality of the "journalism" in the article.  The article title is sensational in nature and misleads the casual observer.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
I respectfully request that the Board of Directors contact NRA directly and get a clarification instead of just running with what they have.  I think that the Board would get a response quicker than an individual member.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
I respectfully request that the Board of Directors contact NRA directly and get a clarification instead of just running with what they have.  I think that the Board would get a response quicker than an individual member.

Sidearm, I wish that was the way things worked.  Even when the NRA was calling us an affiliate (something we never requested or applied for, but since we were accomplishing things they wanted to take credit) they would not communicate or share information.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
A primer on why the 2A is not about hunting:

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2015/04/chris-cox-i-categorically-deny.html

From the video: Chris Cox (NRA-ILA Director): "I categorically deny everything that you wrote with regards to that. It's complete bull****."

Conspiracy theories are fun- but not always true.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2015/04/chris-cox-i-categorically-deny.html

From the video: Chris Cox (NRA-ILA Director): "I categorically deny everything that you wrote with regards to that. It's complete bull****."

Conspiracy theories are fun- but not always true.

Did you read the story in the link you posted?

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Yes, I did. The NRA rep categorically denied it and said it's Bull$h!&. The Blogger said he doesn't believe him and stands by his anonymous sources. Juicy conspiracy theories of corruption and back-room deals are very compelling. Doesn't mean they're true. All I've seen are vague, unsubstantiated rumors. When asked for a comment the 'accused' party denied it. Up to you who you believe. Facts will likely come out.

If the NRA is in fact guilty of this betrayal the entire leadership should be forced out. If not those making the false accusations should very publicly apologize, lose all credibility and remove themselves from public commentary. I wouldn't hold my breath on either one actually happening.

ETA: NRA Board Member posted this on AR15.com: The whole thing is a story, the NRA has nothing to do with this. This and many other stories are going to be false flags for the next few years to try and divide us all.
Others can chime in here and confirm that is all false. Don't fall for" the NRA is the boogeyman .."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:04:54 PM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
In my experience often in conflicts like this there is some truth in both side's position.  Like maybe the NRA did something that someone else exaggerated.  The NRA has been accused of sleeping with whores in the past though, and I don't think all the accusations are false.  What I would call sleeping with whores they would probably call being practical by compromising, or dealing with the real world as it is instead of how they would like it to be.  This is pure speculation, but it's based in a lot of experience.

If I remember right, for example, the NRA did not want the Heller case brought before the courts, and other gun rights groups were mad at the NRA for that.  But the NRA was not confident in the High Court obeying the law, and a bad decision would have been disastrous.  I don't like some of Scalia's wording in the decision, and a better Court might have written a better decision, so maybe they were right to lack confidence (in the Court, not in the law).  But it's anybody's guess whether the Court will get better or worse.  The point to all this is that the NRA might sometimes look like it's in bed with the enemy, but there might be a good reason for it.  That doesn't mean I like it.  But as I mentioned before, if I was in charge of the NRA we might all be in jail now. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.