< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Just thinking....is this possible?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
Just thinking....is this possible?
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »
In anticipation of another Minnesota vacation, we almost always make a stop at Reed's in Walker, MN.  A long time ago I signed up for their newsletter/sales flyers and depending upon what you are looking for, they occassionally have some pretty good deals. [always a bountiful selection of firearms]   Noticing they had a Gun Fair this weekend, I clicked on the details... 
http://www.reedssports.com/info/rice-creek-vendors

Visit with factory reps, handle the guns and shoot before you buy.
  With over 30 manufacturer tents you can spend the day finding the right gun.

I have not heard of this kind of event done locally around here before.  Wouldn’t it be nice if a local Cabela’s or Bass Pro (or some other host) could pull off something like this…with Hornady possibly supplying test ammo....and an NFOA table nearby.  Think something like this could ever fly in non-football-conservative Nebraska?
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Just thinking....is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
Neet to see another nebraska vistit that area. My children are the 5th generation of my family that visit central Minnesota. We stay near Parkrapids and Nevis more specially but walker and Reeds is a must spot.  leach lake is like the ocean on a windy day!

As far as nebraska hosting something. Maybe... IT takes a lot of effort to host a event like this. Imo cabelas is to big of a company. Bass pro WOULD do it in Iowa. It would take a medium size business like feeds to pull this off. DE might be a good example but I'm not sure if they have the man power either.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
It'd have to be done at a place with close access to a shooting range, plenty of space for tables and booths (preferably inside in case it rained that day), and a really big parking area.  And it would have to be reasonably close to a large population center, like Lincoln or Omaha.  Is there a place with those features maybe between Lincoln and Omaha?  If somebody had a range that could be used in that way this would be a good way to make a lot of people aware of it.  But I don't know of any such place.  I shoot at Izaak Walton outside Lincoln, and I don't think it's big enough for something like that.

It would take a substantial investment in time and money to set it up, and it would be a big gamble, because unless it was all inside, a rainy day could ruin the whole thing.  The best way to guarantee a heavy rain storm is to plan an outdoor wedding; this might be the second best way. 

I'm guessing manpower could be increased with volunteers, since there are a lot of us who are interested in guns and wouldn't mind spending a few hours doing whatever was needed; there seem to be quite a few NRA certified instructors around, and certified RSOs.  Plenty of dealers too, from what I see at gun shows. 

This could bring a lot of people interested in guns together and increase membership in NFOA.  A big outdoor gun show with access to a shooting range could be a big hit.  But it doesn't seem likely to me because of the difficulties.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
Neet to see another nebraska vistit that area. My children are the 5th generation of my family that visit central Minnesota. We stay near Parkrapids and Nevis more specially but walker and Reeds is a must spot.  leach lake is like the ocean on a windy day!

As far as nebraska hosting something. Maybe... IT takes a lot of effort to host a event like this. Imo cabelas is to big of a company. Bass pro WOULD do it in Iowa. It would take a medium size business like feeds to pull this off. DE might be a good example but I'm not sure if they have the man power either.

Cool, I spend a LOT of time in that area too- actually about 25mi south of there mostly. Just yesterday my daughter was wearing a 'Walker, MN, est. 1896' sweatshirt. Have a ton of family (including my folks) around Hackensack, Backus & Pine River. Was just up there a few weeks ago, in fact. Spend a week every summer and 4-5 days for deer season annually.

Anyway, I think an event like this would be very well attended, assuming: A) word got out B) it was reasonably close to the population centers. 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »
Probably the best location in Nebraska for an enterprise like this is Grand Island.  They have Heartland Shooting Park near the town and a lot of big building for the State Fair.  Doniphan is not too far away and it is the NTA's home ground.  Hornady could give tours of its plant and Cabelas is not far away in Kearney.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »
Here's a CRAZY idea.  Every year this state level gun rights organization in Nebraska holds an annual meeting at Heartland Shooting Park just outside Grand Island in late August (22nd is the rumor this year) 
In the recent past, there have been various sessions for shooting, and other related activities, even for the kids.  The head honchos are always looking for ideas, contacts, and most of all volunteers to make each year bigger than the last.
I know for a fact that many of the ideas ya'll spoke of here have been thrown on the table., BUT they need more than the same 8ish folks stepping up and more than 50 attendees to make it work and worthwhile.
Of course, there's the same old ' it's sooooo far to drive now seems weak if folks are willing to travel to Minnesota to man handle guns.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:14:18 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline MinaskaTony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
If only there were a  shooting range near I-80 in Lincoln that could host an event like this, and other national shooting events.  Do you think Lincoln and surrounding communities would be able to sustain such a complex?  I am not talking some mounds of sand, I mean a full on world class shooting range. Rifle out to 1000 yd, multiple 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, and 400yd shooting bays. On site sales, rentals, gunsmiths.  Indoor facilities for classes, meetings, and shows of this nature.  Indoor shooting facilities. Archery.  Could a place like this exist?  Would you pay a membership to be a part of something like that? Just thinking....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
If only there were a  shooting range near I-80 in Lincoln that could host an event like this, and other national shooting events.  Do you think Lincoln and surrounding communities would be able to sustain such a complex?  I am not talking some mounds of sand, I mean a full on world class shooting range. Rifle out to 1000 yd, multiple 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, and 400yd shooting bays. On site sales, rentals, gunsmiths.  Indoor facilities for classes, meetings, and shows of this nature.  Indoor shooting facilities. Archery.  Could a place like this exist?  Would you pay a membership to be a part of something like that? Just thinking....

Like this?

http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

Wouldn't it be awesome to live within 30 minutes of that complex?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »

Short answer.... No.

Lancaster County had a opportunity to have a privately funded drag strip just north of I-80 and what did we do? Shut it down because race cars are to loud. If such a place did exist it would more than likely shut down several other ranges in the Lincoln area. I do not thing that Lincoln can support such a facility and other local ranges.

I honestly think it would have to be a public range. Not everyone (myself included) shoot enough to justify a membership. But when they do want to go out the are limited to where they can go to shoot.   

Like this?

http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

Wouldn't it be awesome to live within 30 minutes of that complex?

Fly

wow ;D