< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LEO not happy with me  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Re: LEO not happy with me
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
Here is my two cents worth:
I remember being told I should inform the officer that I have a CCW permit whether I have my handgun with me or not. When he runs my license and discovers I have the permit, he will probably wonder what else I might be keeping from him. I believe it sets the stage for open communication.
I enjoy asking officers what they think about different aspects "carrying" but I don't wait until I get invited to the side of the road. These are really a bunch of great guys doing their job so let's engage them in friendly conversation wherever you can.
I don't have many dollars to spend but I really enjoy picking up the tab of an officers meal when I can...often they eat half price :-)
Wilson

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
So, if guns are unloaded and neither it nor ammo are within reach there is no obligation to show your carry permit??

Loaded or unloaded has nothing to do with it in Nebraska.... The NE laws don't say anything about loaded or unloaded status.

If the gun is "on or about your person" meaning if it is somewhere nearby you in the vehicle then you have to inform the officer. If it is locked in the trunk then you would not have to inform them.

You do not have to "SHOW" an officer your concealed carry permit, unless the specifically ask you to do so. You DO HAVE TO TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE CARRYING THOUGH if you have the firearm on or about your person and it is concealed.

I always recommend to people in my concealed carry classes that EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT CARRYING, IT IS VERY WISE TO ADVISE THE OFFICER THAT YOU ARE A PERMIT HOLDER, however you ARE NOT CARRYING at the time. This way they aren't left "wondering" when they run your drivers license. You DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM ANYTHING IF YOU ARE NOT CARRYING, but it is wise to do so.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
Tks for the thorough responses.  If contacted in an official manner I would simply hand over my permit under current law.  However I would support changing the disclosure status to "optional" as well as reducing the permit costs involved or doing away with renewal costs altogether.  Baby steps.....
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 10:10:11 PM »
my luck will require that i have a run-in with a complete douche my first time around.  and I most certainly WILL say something stupid.