< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Electronic ear muffs  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
Electronic ear muffs
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
It's time for me to buy some new ear muffs for hearing protection at the range. Over the weekend, I discovered that my 30-year-old, non-electronic muffs do a poor job of attenuating the sound of rifle shots. Simply holding the palms of my hands against my ears works better than my old muffs.

I have looked at everything on Cabela's web site. Brands are Beretta, Caldwell, Howard Leight Impact, Pro Ears, Radians, Walker's Game Ear and Cabela's house brand. Prices range from $35 to $300. Attenuation is about the same for all, 22 to 26 db, regardless of price. Paying more doesn't necessarily buy better attenuation. I did notice in the customer reviews that the cheaper models tend to suffer more failures out of the box and shorter time before failure.

Pro Ears tend to be expensive but they have one model, Revo Adult Electronic Muffs, for $70 that provide above average attenuation. Walker's Game Ear Alpha Compact Muffs provide somewhat less attenuation but are highly rated and cost $65. At the cheap end, there is Caldwell E-Max Low-Profile Muffs for $35. Menard's has the Caldwell muffs on sale for $20.

Does anyone have a particular favorite to recommend or a brand to avoid?

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Electronic ear muffs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
I have a pair of Caldwells and a pair of Walker. I had a chance to try both out at the range this weekend because the batteries in the Caldwells died. Here is a brief overview:

Caldwell: Like the headband much better and the comfort of the ear cushion is nice.  The battery area is on one ear and easily accessable. Has foam windscreens on the two microphones which are located on the front of the cans.  Only one control for volume that controls both ears.  Without the power on you don't hear much other than muffled voices and a .308 is noticable but not loud. There is a power light indicator that is lit when power is on.

Walker: Headband feels cheap and not as flexible as the Caldwell. No windscreens on the mics, which are located on the sides of the cans, but there are individual controls for each ear. No power indicator on the either ear if the amps are on. Ear cushions are are a little shallow and the foam inside is split to allow access to the battery area inside the headsets. Noise reduction was about the same as the Caldwells.

Both are nice although I have seen far more Caldwells on the range than Walkers.  Personal preference is currently for the Caldwells.  Prices were about the same.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
I love my Howard Leight Impact. Lo profile and really good. Far better than my Caldwell's.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
I love my Howard Leight Impact. Lo profile and really good. Far better than my Caldwell's.

+1 with Robert. Depending on what and where I am shooting I double up electronic over ear plugs. Helps a bit for flinching on my part lol. But its also nice I can turn up the electronic so I can hear a conversation or rangle commands but shooting gets filtered from the plugs and and electronics.

If you want cheap I started out with the Winchester from Walmart. They are like $10 but they really work well. They are really tall but work. I now use them for yard work and tuning out kids and wife!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »
+1 with Robert. Depending on what and where I am shooting I double up electronic over ear plugs. Helps a bit for flinching on my part lol. But its also nice I can turn up the electronic so I can hear a conversation or rangle commands but shooting gets filtered from the plugs and and electronics.

If you want cheap I started out with the Winchester from Walmart. They are like $10 but they really work well. They are really tall but work. I now use them for yard work and tuning out kids and wife!

No need to double up with plugs if everyone is shooting with a can.  :D

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »
No need to double up with plugs if everyone is shooting with a can.  :D

Knew you would bring it up! someday... someday...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
I personally go with the Walker Alphas---because the battery life is ridiculous.  Either I forget and leave them on, or they get bumped and turn on---and yet weeks later (literally) I put them back on and they still work without replacing the battery.

Other than battery life, choices seems to be pure personal preference between all the various types.  They all basically do the same thing, so just pick one that fits your head.  For me, that means Walker Alphas, and I've been beating up the same pair at the range for years.  (I've got three pair, and people borrow the other two all the time.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
I have 2 sets of Pro Ears  (one for work and one for shooting) and  while they work good and fit well, the N battery life is poor and they cost way too much ... but thankfully I did not pay for mine
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »

I have a set of the Winchesters also.  They work pretty well, but if you forget to turn them off they'll run down the batteries in no time.

I do really like having amplified hearing protection.  It makes it a lot easier to hear range commands.

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »
I have been using a set of Peltor Tac Sports for about 6 years.  I shoot a lot and use them a ton and have changed batteries twice.  I spent the money for a padded headband and the gel filled ear cups and they are terrific ear pro.  I bought a few sets of the Howard Leight Impact sports for the wife and kids and they are very nice for the price.  The Peltor are a little spendy, but still a lot cheaper than MSA Sordins.   I have around $175 into mine with the gel cups and headband, whereas the Howard Leight can be had on Amazon for around $40.  If I were shopping on a budget, they would be my choice.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
I've been using the Howard Leight Impact for the past 3 years and have been happy with them, especially for the price point.  Previously I used mostly in-ear plugs of various types, and sometimes the heavy traditional style Peltor, so these are the only electronic  I've used extensively.

A couple features I like about the HL Impact: 

- They shut off automatically after 4 hours, which helps with battery life.  It does come as a surprise the first time they just shutdown on you, until you remember it's been about  4 hours since you turned them on.

- The ear pads are replaceable.  The plastic seems to harder over time if you get sunscreen on them, then they don't seal as well.  It's nice that they just pop out and replacements pop in.   The replacement kit also includes new foam liner, but I haven't felt a need to replace those.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 04:57:33 PM »
Since Howard Leight got the most votes, I stopped at Cabela's today and bought the Pro muffs. The Sport muffs would have been cheaper, but the Pros have a higher attenuation rating. I hope they work well enough that I can skip ear plugs.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »
Kendahl

I don't always wear plugs with them. Depends in what and wear I am shooting. My AR under a roof can be pretty noisy.

Now MANLEY Rob for silencer reference :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:52:50 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
Kendahl

I don't always wear plugs with them. Depends in what and wear I am shooting. My AR under a roof can be pretty noisy.

She Rob for silencer reference :D

SHE ROB?!?!?    :'(

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
Kendahl

Now MANLEY Rob for silencer reference :D
Fat thumbs sorry. Fixed your reference

SHE ROB?!?!?    :'(

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Fat thumbs sorry. Fixed your reference

lol nice.

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »
I use either the Howard Leight (Honeywell) Impact Sport or the Peltor (3M) Bullseye 7. The peltor earmuffs fit a bit better with eye protection and I use them when I'm alone or mowing the lawn and offer 27db reduction vs the 22 of the Impact Sport.

But I vastly prefer source reduction, making my guns quieter  :D Cheaper than hearing aids  ;)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 12:09:05 AM »
Good call going with Howard Leight. I have had their impact muffs for a few years now and have only changed batteries once. I don't go in the wood without them, call me weird but even when bowhunting I wear them because they make even far off sounds noticeable. It's amazing what you miss without any sound amplification, and I have young 24 year old ears  8)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
Good call going with Howard Leight. I have had their impact muffs for a few years now and have only changed batteries once. I don't go in the wood without them, call me weird but even when bowhunting I wear them because they make even far off sounds noticeable. It's amazing what you miss without any sound amplification, and I have young 24 year old ears  8)

Problem is, with amplified hearing every squirrel in the woods sounds like the Thirty Point Buck.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 12:50:03 AM »
Problem is, with amplified hearing every squirrel in the woods sounds like the Thirty Point Buck.

Even without amplification they sound like that...