< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: July 11th Gretna Breakfast.  (Read 4848 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: July 11th Gretna Breakfast.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »
I'm gonna put on my cynic hat...

How can a Pro 2A Conservative NRA supporting man not know about NFOA's work in the state or find it difficult to sign up as a member?

I am really really tired of supposed Pro 2A Conservatives using us to get elected and then underperforming in office or becoming less conservative to "reach across the aisle" and bring people together to get things done, which always seem to be the Liberal agenda being advanced while NFOA priorities are ignored.

Because other than ONE billboard campaign,

THE NFOA REFUSES TO SPEND ANY MONEY ON ADVERTISING!!

The vast majority of gunowners in this state don't even know the NFOA exists. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
I know you think all we need is an ad in Nebraskaland magazine and suddenly we will be the NRA
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
Doesn't hurt to try.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
I know you think all we need is an ad in Nebraskaland magazine and suddenly we will be the NRA

Not exactly, though I believe it would be a small step in the right direction... but I'd be interested to hear yours, or anyone else's suggestions.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »
Not exactly, though I believe it would be a small step in the right direction... but I'd be interested to hear yours, or anyone else's suggestions.

I have always favored attraction rather than promotion. People inclined to take action do so.
Apathetic people don't pay attention to advertising any more than they do to Twitter, Facebook, internet forums or TV.

I have always believed that 30000 apathetic gun owners are just as ineffective at political change as 7000, so what difference will it really make if we have more members if we can not get more than 50-100 to actually participate in the process?

I don't have any new ideas about how to overcome apathy, but I am pretty sure that throwing money at the problem has been tried
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
OR MAYBE.......
IT'S APATHETIC MEMBERS THAT DON'T STEP UP AND HELP BUILD THIS ORGANIZATION!
Not to whine, again, but I just had spent a couple of rare days off without children.  Did I go to the range? -yes. Did I go to the gun shop(s)- yep. Lots of them.  Never bought a damned thing nor did I put even one round downrange. Instead I put a buttload of miles and gas on my rig, and drove out to the Tri Cities area. (and folk whine it's too far- I will have been out there half a dozen times before Aug 22, just in preparations.) I spent the day and recruited business partners, promoted the upcoming Annual Meeting, went thru a case of brochures and calling cards, and stack of flyers, and even solicited a back seat full of gear to give away at the annual meeting.  This would be so much easier if members in various areas of the state would take ownership of their area and do the recruiting.
Further more, IF ever member would keep some cards/ brochures in their range bag and recruited at minimum one new member each range trip, or each trip to the store for ammo.... My Lord! we would grow huge, quickly. As in Cheers- Everyone would know our name. (Heck just last night I purchased some tables for the NFOA to use thru Craigslist, thru the gift of gab,  recruited a new gun owner to the NFOA (and quite possibly a volunteer photographer) Along side the guys in McDolnald's talking politics, and my loan officer, that put me up to 6 for the day.
In addition,  the BoD has been meeting in person every other week preparing for this big dog and pony show in hopes of getting gun owners to gather and discuss the infringements of their God given rights as Americans and Nebraskan and solutions to preserve Liberty. 
Has anyone noticed the increased Facebook presence? We have a treasure that works 10-12+ hours a day, spends time with his family and still is up to the wee hours preparing Facebook posts, many times boosting those posts out of his own pocket.
And Rod? Jeez, He's got to be almost out of Vacation Days,and the Dodge has got to be ready to trade off- they don't last forever, ya know.
As we learned with the billboard campaign, a lot of ad money can be spent with little measurable paypack.  I feel our money is better spent on educating our members and getting them the needed supplies to spread the gospel.  All while educations and lobbying our lawmakers.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
Forget I even mentioned anything.  I won't bother anyone ever again.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
Forget I even mentioned anything.  I won't bother anyone ever again.

Yeah, right. :)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 07:02:18 AM »
I see that BGen (Ret) Bacon has a "prior association" with "The Fort" ... negates my support ....  #establishment

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
I'm gonna put on my cynic hat...

How can a Pro 2A Conservative NRA supporting man not know about NFOA's work in the state or find it difficult to sign up as a member?

I am really really tired of supposed Pro 2A Conservatives using us to get elected and then underperforming in office or becoming less conservative to "reach across the aisle" and bring people together to get things done, which always seem to be the Liberal agenda being advanced while NFOA priorities are ignored.

I'm a bit cynical as well, Dan.  Don seemed like a nice guy.  I had the chance to talk to him one-on-one for a bit.  However, I'm not sure that 2A rights are at the top of his list of priorities.  I don't think he's anti 2A but it didn't strike me as something about which he is truly passionate.  Keeping nukes out of Iran?  He's passionate about that.

With that said, I'd like to address Rick's comment about advertising.  Advertising was one of my priorities when I was on the board.  I'm happy to say that we launched the billboard campaign during my tenure and I enjoy seeing the artwork that I created for the campaign in continued use.

Personally, I think the networking approach will build a much stronger association than ads in Nebraskaland magazine.  I also agree that we need far more truly engaged members.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »
I see that BGen (Ret) Bacon has a "prior association" with "The Fort" ... negates my support ....  #establishment

Please elaborate on "The Fort."  Are you referring to Jeff Fortenberry?

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
Yes,please, I'm also lost.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Rick, please don't take my words too personally. You and Scott and Kim ,etc. Ya'll did your time, paid your dues.  It's time for the next wave to take the next hill.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
Please elaborate on "The Fort."  Are you referring to Jeff Fortenberry?

Indeed I am .. the one and the same .... 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Though strong on 2A issues, he has had a far more deleterious effect on this country (e.g. multiple votes on the "continuing budget resolution" because AHHHHH the government is going to "shut down", funding the Syrian rebels er I mean ISIS (?) er I don't really know who, voting for the TPTA ... and all the while thinking we give a rat's patootie about his BIG accomplishment of getting Chief Whatever Native American land recognized by the Feds in the House ...... Rome is burning and he's helping string the fiddle ....

And kind along the lines of DanW and Mudinyeri .... these guys and gals are asking for out vote because "I'm going to end Obamacare ... I'm going to nuke the Iranians ... I'm going to build a border wall .... etc, etc, etc"    And yet NOTHING happens.  Ask yourself what has the Republican landslide into Congress in 2010 and 2014 really accomplished for those of us who voted them in?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:24:30 AM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »
Though strong on 2A issues, he has had a far more deleterious effect on this country (e.g. multiple votes on the "continuing budget resolution" because AHHHHH the government is going to "shut down", funding the Syrian rebels er I mean ISIS (?) er I don't really know who, voting for the TPTA ... and all the while thinking we give a rat's patootie about his BIG accomplishment of getting Chief Whatever Native American land recognized by the Feds in the House ...... Rome is burning and he's helping string the fiddle ....

And kind along the lines of DanW and Mudinyeri .... these guys and gals are asking for out vote because "I'm going to end Obamacare ... I'm going to nuke the Iranians ... I'm going to build a border wall .... etc, etc, etc"    And yet NOTHING happens.  Ask yourself what has the Republican landslide into Congress in 2010 and 2014 really accomplished for those of us who voted them in?

Sigh... once again I am inclined to agree with The Texan.  Don't know if any of them are worth voting for these days.  :(
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
While it is way too early for me to back any horse in most races (there are a couple exceptions because there are possible and declared candidates we are speaking with, to bring our position to the Legislature) there is a purpose to arraigning these chances to meet the candidates so early.  This gives a chance for you to vet the candidate at the same time as educating them about the issues.  We are not going to find a candidate that is going to run pushing to end all gun control as a Nebraska candidate, the issue is not that high on most voters radar.  But we can take the time to teach a candidate that may have the support to get elected in other area's how to represent us on gun issues, and this is also a chance to educate them on your other issues of concern.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »
FarmerRick, I will disagree that the NFOA has spent nothing on advertising, We have spent money on brochures to hand out at events, we have spent money to attend events (some have brought in lots of members), we have spent money on web advertising (which is also showing increased viewership, people taking action, and slight improvements in membership), there has even been funds spent hosting events (of ours and in support of other organizations as sponsors). 

There has also been funds spent in support of issues and court cases; which we have been able to turn into positive press coverage, which most businesses would equate to advertising.

So it sounds like the big difference is you are still on the advertise in the NebraskaLand Magazine, which from talking to people that have advertised there is a waste of money as far as getting people to take any action.  Most of the money spent on advertising there is to financially support the continuation of the Magazine and help the G&P, they get little to no response from advertising there.  That is the issue most people have had with advertising there, yes it relatively cheap and lots of magazines are distributed, but people do not take action (buy a product, request information on a product, join an organization etc) from those ads.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
Advertising should be planned as a campaign.  Randomly putting an ad in a magazine or throwing a sign up on a billboard very rarely brings about results.

If we were to advertise in the Nebraskaland magazine, we would need to put together a campaign that complemented that ad placement.  For example, we might also have a booth at the annual Outdoor Expo held at Ponca State Park.  We might link up a series of Facebook ads and Twitter messages targeted at those who read Nebraskaland.  We would probably also want to network with Hunter Education instructors to speak for a few minutes in their classes.  Maybe would could put together a television commercial with Greg Wagner.

Single-point, monolithic advertising rarely accomplishes anything.