< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Knife sharpening  (Read 3536 times)

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
Knife sharpening
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
There are a lot of sharpeners out there. Some work and others don't. With over 20 years experience as a custom knife maker I have come to rely on the guides and stones manufactured by Razor-Edge.  They can be contacted at 1-800-541-1458 or www.razoredgesystems.com. The guides clamp to the blade giving you the control needed to form a precise angle at the edge.  Their stones are man made and used dry. I know that goes against every thing we have been taught, but trust me, they work great. When loaded with material I just wash them out with a hand brush and dish soap.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Knife sharpening
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »
Sounds very similar to the Lansky sharpening system I just bought.  I've always been horrible at sharpening but this system made it easy for me to get a good edge.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
I was never able to put a serviceable edge on any blade until I purchased a Gatco  system. But it is sorta flimsy and the angles can vary due to that.

This razoredge system look very solid. How does it work with spear point blades?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
I find the  Razor-Edge system is a lot faster than the Lansky and works on most blades. Spear points can be a real challenge getting the guide clamped in place. If I can't get a solid bite on the center ridge it won't hold and even then I have to be careful not to jar it
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline semtex

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »
I have had really good luck with the Spiderco Kit i picked up at cabelas.  It does need frequent cleaning with a scotch pad and some Comet cleaner.

If you know the angle of the edge, it works fantastic. Versus trying to re-edge a blade.
FYI, Gerber knives are sharpened with a uniform 15? angle on each side for a total of 30?. At least my LMF II loves the 30? setting on the spiderco sharpener.
?Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
What I have found with sharpening is that the best stone for finishing is a 1000-1200 grit stone. There are many out there but no matter the blade a 1200 grit stone will make your blade surgical. As for sharpening in general I use diamond stones.
May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.