< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Abusing my EDC knife  (Read 3262 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Abusing my EDC knife
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
I need input from all you amateur metallurgists out there.

I've had a few EDC knives in the last few years.  While I would LOVE to have one of the more expensive, finely crafted, higher quality American made knives, I'm glad I don't as I just can't seem to keep from losing them. 

My current knife has been thoroughly abused.  A few months ago I ran it through the washer, so I made sure all the steel was oiled down.  A little rust started developing around the thumb stud, but otherwise it was ok.  Then this last week I lost my knife while working in my mom's yard.  After the last couple days of rain, she found it in her lawn. 

Now it has a little bit of surface rust in several spots.  I wiped it off with some steel wool and while I was doing that I verified that the blade is still VERY sharp.  Finally I applied a liberal amount of penetrating oil and let it sit. 

Any suggestions on what else I should do to try to make sure it is in good shape until the next time I lose it?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Abusing my EDC knife
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
Blue Wonder.  Take it apart, if you can, and soak it in Blue Wonder.  That'll get rid of all the rust.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
Blue Wonder.  Take it apart, if you can, and soak it in Blue Wonder.  That'll get rid of all the rust.

Alrighty...where do I find this "Blue Wonder"?  Is it at every/any hardware store, or is it more of a specialty item?

ETA: Which Blue Wonder product are you talking about?  They make several cleaners, lubricants, and protectants.

Thanks,
Fly
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:16:37 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Not exactly the advice you were looking for...but get a Kershaw Blem like this Blur. It is a $35 American made with  stainless steel and aluminum so no worries about rusting. I know that doesn't solve your current problem, but it may help you prevent it in the future.

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw/blur-serrated-1670blkst-blem/

PS I have no affiliation with them, but I buy all my EDC knives from them.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
I apply froglube to mine to prevent rust & corrosion.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:34 PM »
Not exactly the advice you were looking for...but get a Kershaw Blem like this Blur. It is a $35 American made with  stainless steel and aluminum so no worries about rusting. I know that doesn't solve your current problem, but it may help you prevent it in the future.

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw/blur-serrated-1670blkst-blem/

PS I have no affiliation with them, but I buy all my EDC knives from them.

Hmmm...that looks a LOT like my knife. (see photo)   ;D 

I can't find any info on whether mine was made in the USA (not sure if some are not), or whether it is stainless steel, but it was oxidizing.

I wonder if some Navy Jelly would take it off.

ETA: @Thanke...I agree with you.  I really like my Kershaw Blur.  FYI I got mine on Amazon for $48.25 in June 2014.   Can't find the Red Blur on Amazon any more though.

Fly
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:30:31 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
Hmmm...that looks a LOT like my knife. (see photo)     

I can't find any info on whether mine was made in the USA (not sure if some are not), or whether it is stainless steel, but it was oxidizing.

I wonder if some Navy Jelly would take it off.

ETA: @Thanke...I agree with you.  I really like my Kershaw Blur.  FYI I got mine on Amazon for $48.25 in June 2014.   Can't find the Red Blur on Amazon any more though.

Hmm, I left a Kershaw Leek outside over winter. I found it next spring and there was rust on it...not from the blade or aluminum handle, but from the torsion bar. I emailed Kershaw asking for a replacement kit which they sent me no questions asked, and now it is as good as new. I didn't know they made them with anything else but stainless & aluminum, but I'm not a knife connoisseur  by any means.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »

Hmm, I left a Kershaw Leek outside over winter. I found it next spring and there was rust on it...not from the blade or aluminum handle, but from the torsion bar. I emailed Kershaw asking for a replacement kit which they sent me no questions asked, and now it is as good as new. I didn't know they made them with anything else but stainless & aluminum, but I'm not a knife connoisseur  by any means.

I might give them a call.  Looking at the picture of the knife in the link you provided, the number on my blade matches the one on the knife in the picture.  I would think that means it is the same material.

Regardless, stainless steel can rust, though it is more resistant than other metals.

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »
Rod carries Blue Wonder at his store (Moeller Arms) ... or he did the last time I looked.  If not, you can get it online at myriad places.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »
I beat the ever loving hell out of my EDC Camillus Cuda that can be had for $30-ish on amazon. It's a work blade, but it's also AUS-8 steel, so it takes and holds an edge extremely well.

Got a different style of open assist to it though, takes a bit of getting used to.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.