< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My Every Day Folder  (Read 8469 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
My Every Day Folder
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
If you are like me, you wince at the thought of spending much money on a pocket knife.

Until I won a few Victorinox Swiss army knives as trophies, competing in ATA trap, ( Thank you to the  Beatrice Trap Club) I was actually making fun of the prizes.

These tools are now kept in my vehicles and I consider them a fine, very versatile tool for emergency uses.

When I started looking around for a folder to carry every day,  I had two requirements. One handed opening, and very sturdy lock.  I do not care for the type of knife that locks in the liner.

I soon became very interested in the Axis lock, made by Benchmade in Oregon.

The Axis lock is very easy to open or close one handed, with either hand. And the particular folder I chose, the Griptilian, has a 3.45" blade. That is just below Nebraska's limit of 3.5"

I purchased the knife from Cabela's as they were offering it with a special D2 steel blade.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0022073516108a.shtml

2 years later, the cost of the Benchmade Griptilian  has faded into nothing, while the quality and untility of this fine  tool has  made me a believer.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: My Every Day Folder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
CRKT M-16-13Z. I really like the Carson flipper on the blade makes for fast opening, much faster it seems to me than a stud on the blade itself. My only complaint would be with the screws that hold the pocket clip on, they tend to come loose. Loc-Tite fixed that.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
My EDC is a CRKT M16-13LE. Great knife. Flips open easily and has a solid lock. I think the thing I like best about it though is that when the knife is open the Carson flipper acts as a blade guard. I'm pretty much of a klutz when it comes to knives, so this feature is a real hand saver.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
I bought a CRKT M16-13T(titanium handle) from SteepandCheap.com for about $60 shipped about a year ago.  Seems to be a very nice knife and is lightweight.  Blade length is exactly 3.5 inches and legal in NE.  I now keep this in my BOB.

I have since found a couple cheap Smith & Wesson Special Tactical knives at O'Rielly's Auto Parts that seems to be of pretty decent quality for only $10 each on sale.  It's made in China, but then again so is the CRKT.  I has held an edge nicely so far and for a 'beater' knife, it has worked pretty well for EDC.
Here are the specs:     
    * Teflon coated 440C stainless steel blade
    * Handle: Rubber coated steel liner
    * Blade type: Tanto point
    * Includes pocket clip
    * Thumb stud opener
    * Blade length: 3.3"
    * Closed length: 4.5"
    * Weight: 3.5 ounces
    * Plain edge blade

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I used to think that any old knife would do for an everyday knife. Then I was introduced to a browning folder that cabelas had in the bargain cave, fell in love with how it held up. Wish that knife was still available. When I lost that knife, I was again looking for a knife since its no longer available, and as far as a cheaper knife I have found the Gerber AR 3.0 to be a quality knife that holds an edge excellently even after being used as a pry bar, scraper, knife, box opener, and occasionally a shovel. I seriously can't believe how well it has held up. I picked mine up from Walmart (in Fremont I think) for about 35$ and for the quality of the knife I would seriously not be afraid to buy it at the listed price on the gerber site which is about $60.

Here's the link to gerber's site.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/175
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
This is what I carry. Have one on me all the time and one in the car.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
My every day knife is a no-name stainless steel folder I got as a groomsman's gift years ago.  It's stamped "Japan" on the blade and holds an edge reasonably well.

A guy at work bought one of those S&W tacticals, and I was impressed for it being so cheap.  I don't know how good the steel is and how well it holds an edge though, I should buy one to test it out.

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:16 PM »

What is the Nebraska 3.5" limit?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:54:19 PM »
Over 3 and a 1/2 inches, and it is considered a "Knife, Dagger, Dirk, yada, yada, yada..." and meets the legal definition of a concealed weapon, IIRC.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »
Thanks for the summary and quick response.

A little Google magic from http://knife-expert.com/ne.txt

Nebraska - Crimes and Punishments. 28-1201. Terms, defined...
   (4) Knife shall mean any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto
   with a blade over 3-1/2 inches in length or any other
   dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting,
   stabbing, or tearing wounds...
- 28-1202. (1) ...any person who carries a weapon or weapons
   concealed on or about his person such as a... bowie knife,
   dirk or knife with a dirk blade attachment... or any other
   deadly weapon commits the offense of carrying a concealed
   weapon.
  (2) It shall be an affirmative defense that the defendant
   was engaged in any lawful business, calling, or employment
   at the time he or she was carrying any weapon or weapons
   and the circumstances in which such person was placed at
   the time were such as to justify a prudent person in
   carrying the weapon or weapons for the defense of his or
   her person, property, or family.

Nebraska Case Law:
- "Whether an object or weapon not specifically enumerated in
   subsection (1) of this section was a deadly weapon is a
   question of fact to be decided by the trier of fact."
   (1983)
- "Section 28-1202(1)... is sufficiently definite to meet the
   requirements of the first and fifth amendments to the U.S.
   Constitution and Art. I, section 3, of the Nebraska
   Constitution..."

I had never heard this before.  I wonder:

1) how many other citizens (hunters) know of this?
2) how a folding knife really fits into the definition as the first paragraph seems to indicate a fixed blade instrument?
3) how a 3.4" blade would not be considered "any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds"?

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »
I also carry a Benchmade. The mini-Griptilian was well worth the money. Nothing like buying a high quality US made product.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:52 AM »
THIS:

" Nebraska Case Law:
- "Whether an object or weapon not specifically enumerated in
   subsection (1) of this section was a deadly weapon is a
   question of fact to be decided by the trier of fact."
   (1983)

Makes THIS:

"any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting,  stabbing, or tearing wounds..."

Very dangerous to anyone carrying so much as a screwdriver......  WAY to much prosecutorial lawyering room there for my tastes.....

...... All of you carrying scary looking/sounding blades might remember that it would take only 1) zealous prosecutor, 1) inept defense attourney, and 12) idjits that let their hearts do their thinking for them to REALLY screw up yer lives.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Very dangerous to anyone carrying so much as a screwdriver......  WAY to much prosecutorial lawyering room there for my tastes.....

Car keys too.

But I agree, WAY to much room...

...... All of you carrying scary looking/sounding blades might remember that it would take only 1) zealous prosecutor, 1) inept defense attourney, and 12) idjits that let their hearts do their thinking for them to REALLY screw up yer lives.

I carry my knife because it has a lot of daily utility for me. A nice side effect is that it's a pretty reliable self defense tool also. I think that if I was really concerned about 1, 2, and/or 3 above, I probably wouldn't be carrying a concealed handgun either.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »
"..... if I was really concerned about 1, 2, and/or 3 above, I probably wouldn't be carrying a concealed handgun either."

.....  The Concealed Handgun Permit covers you on the handgun........ with regard to concealed knives, you are subject to the tender mercies of our Legal System, which I will remind everyone was written mostly by lawyers (or at least reviewed by State Legal Dept.), administered by Lawyers and argued/tried by Lawyers...... all at either the Private Citizen's or the Taxpayers' (also private Citizens!) expense.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
The legal limit is 3" in Hastings. There might be other small towns in Nebraska with unknown statutes just like the former CCW bans
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 07:52:36 PM »
I'd like to think that even an inept defense attorney could make the case that a knife with a blade less than 3.5" is not "any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting,  stabbing, or tearing wounds...". Otherwise, section 28-1201 simply would not have excluded knives with a blade shorter than 3.5".

In any event, I whole heartedly agree with you that there is a chance of being royally screwed. It just doesn't concern me enough to worry about it.

Now, what Dan W posted, that does. Thanks Dan, didn't know that about Hastings.

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »
Before reading here, I was all set to go with a SOG Trident but it has a 3.75" blade:  http://sogknives.com/store/TF-2.html

Now after I am leaning toward:

The SOG Aegis AE-1, 3.5" blade:  http://sogknives.com/store/AE-01.html

The Benchmade Griptilian 551, 3.45" blade:  http://www.benchmade.com/products/551

or 

The Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 (custom Griptilian varient), 3.44: blade:  http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/parent_id/14/category_id/151/product_id/1080/nm/Doug_Ritter_RSK_Mk1_Folding_Knife

and I'll make sure I stay out of Hastings....

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:29:21 PM »
I carry a Gerber blade with a gtor skin grip.

[attachment deleted by admin]
May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
I carry a Spyderco Worker, fully serrated for work, IMHO the best working knife ever. For casual I carry a Chris Reeves Umnumzaan, a rock solid plain blade, a work of art. Chris Reeve makes some damn fine blades, but very pricey.

I use a Chris Reeve skinner for deer hunting, used to use a Puma Skinner. I also have a Shadow IV for tactical use (never used it).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:19:46 AM by LitlRat »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
My folders
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »
I carry either the Gerber Mini Covert or the Benchmade 10750BP on a daily basis, depends on what pants I have on.

Then there is my prized Browning Kodiak F.D.T. Knife, Model 600 knife that I carry when hunting. I use a pilot's survival knife for bone cutting but my Browning does all the rest. The main blade, gut hook and razor are incredible and hold an edge forever. I've haven't used the saw ... yet!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:11:01 PM by 00BUCK »