< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LPD and EDC Choice  (Read 5684 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
LPD and EDC Choice
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
So got my carry permit several weeks ago and have been researching what to carry. I know I need to test funtion and all that sort. But during my reading I found some discussions on matching your personal defence ammunition with what your local department carries. So...

Does anyone know what the LPD carries?

Best Place to pick up SD ammo?

Does anyone ever buy bulk and do a group buy? A couple places online seem to have decent prices on 500 rounds of various brands with free shipping. 

Offline Burkdoggy

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LPD and EDC Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
The Smith & Wesson Shield is hugely popular.  I carry the 9mm version.  Very concealable.  I would say use whichever ammo functions best.  If the police ammo doesn't work for your particular firearm,  you won't have confidence in your defense tools.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
I believe LPD officers buy their own service pistol, or at one time they did. A good friend of mine, former LPD Captain, carried a Sig .45 as his main duty firearm.

I assume they were required to stay within an approved list of pistols, but that would still allow for a lot a variety.

Decent ammo for self defense can be a bit hard to find

I have used this site many times for Speer GoldDots and Federal HST

http://www.mahsupplies.net/
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
I have heard these same concerns many times but to the best of my knowledge they have never been part of any court action unless the shooter was using handloads.  I carry a variety of different loads for my 40S&W, but the one thing they really have in common is that they are all professionally manufactured self-defense loads.  I DO handload, and I have never had a FTF on anything I have loaded, but I dont take chances with my carry ammo, the outcome is far to important.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
Sorry not looking so much as what firearm to carry. I have a glock 17 that I will carry. Maybe pick up something smaller in the future a maybe a 19. I've pretty much have become a glock guy :)

My questions directed to ammunition. 9mm in particular.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
Great thing about carrying Glocks is you can use your G17 mags in a G19 or G26, put X Grip sleeves on your G17 mags then you can carry a G19 or G26 for the smaller gun with the smaller mags in the gun and carry the G17 mag. with the X Grips for a 17rd. spare. mag. I would recommend the pinkie extensions for the sub compact Glock mags like the G26.

I don't think you could go wrong carrying good expanding factory ammo like Hornady critical defense, this is what I carry in my G19, I buy it at Cabela's.  I've been carrying Federal hydra-shock JHP lately in my G23 & G27. I would recommend staying away from ammo that has corrosive cases like brass. Never carry non expanding ammo due to over penetration.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:40:06 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
One of the best online sources for fairly priced SD ammo.  Ordered many times from them, they are good to go. 
http://www.sgammo.com

I would personally look at Winchester SXT, Remington Golden Saber or Federal HST.   

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »
Stuart, have you called the LPD front desk and asked or asked to talk to an officer?  that's what I would do.  either call them or the State Patrol, since they cover the whole state.  and report you findings here.

i carry an M&P40C.  nice little gun.  i usually choose Hornady SD rounds since they are from NE.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
Stuart, have you called the LPD front desk and asked or asked to talk to an officer?  that's what I would do.  either call them or the State Patrol, since they cover the whole state.  and report you findings here.

i carry an M&P40C.  nice little gun.  i usually choose Hornady SD rounds since they are from NE.
I will try and do that this week. I texted a guy I know asking him if he knows what his wife (LPD officer) carries. See if he gets back to me or not.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
Whenever Law enforcement round choices are discussed, Speer Gold Dots always seem to make the list.  I have had good luck with Www.SGAmmo.Com as previously mentioned.   I haven't had any issues with the 9mm gold dots in various weights & when it's available I also buy the federal HST which is an improved version of the HydraShocks....
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
tstuart34 ...  at last check LPD carried Remington Golden Sabre.

For what its worth, Lancaster County SO just transitioned to Hornady Critical Duty

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
tstuart34 ...  at last check LPD carried Remington Golden Sabre.

For what its worth, Lancaster County SO just transitioned to Hornady Critical Duty

...and others in Nebraska use the Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot.  (Other LEO groups in the nation use Winchester Ranger-T.)  You won't go wrong with any of those from a performance perspective (actually, from what I've read, research-wise, the Golden Sabre are the worst performing of the lot, and they would be my last choice out of the above), and in any court case an opposing lawyer won't be able to make any sort of ammo argument against you due to the many law enforcement groups that use each of those.

Edited because I can't spell SPEER, apparently.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:47:15 PM by jthhapkido »
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
Thank you Bullit and JT. Choices choices choices.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
For a Glock 17 I would recommend 147 gr pills
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »

Thanks Dan. I that will knock a few out of the running.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
As Capt. Obvious once told me, " carry the good stuff and practice with cheap stuff."
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
As Capt. Obvious once told me, " carry the good stuff and practice with cheap stuff."
I know that one! That's what the extream bullets and title group is for! Honestly defense ammo always makes me cringe... Lol

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
Sorry if I came off as a smarta$$, bad attempt at humor.  ???

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

Those work good in a 26 also.

D.R

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Sorry if I came off as a smarta$$, bad attempt at humor.  ???
No Bob your fine! My scarasm was missed also :D. Honestly I'm a cheap ass. Lol I do a lot of research before I jump into buy things. I don't have a lot of money to experiment so I like to become as well informed as possible.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input. We are really lucky to have such a friendly forum. Some other ones I frequent are full of aholes that enjoy bashing people that ask questions like this.