< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LPD and EDC Choice  (Read 5684 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: LPD and EDC Choice
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
For a Glock 17 I would recommend 147 gr pills

I personally like the the Federal HST in 124 and 124 +P....and they happen to shoot pretty much just like the ammo I normally load for all my match shooting.  I know other folks that love the 147s, particularly in the Winchester Ranger-T load.  And I hear the Critical Duty 135 gr ones are excellent...

...what we need to do is get 5 people together, and everyone brings 100 rounds of a different type/mass of self-defense round, and everyone gets 20 rounds of each type, just to try out.  Not enough to really test for full reliability, but enough to get an idea of what you want to try out for real...

Actually, when I was choosing mine, I got myself a 50-round box each of Winchester Ranger-T in 147, Federal HST in 124, 124+P, and 147, and Speer Gold Dots in 147.  (Didn't get GD in 124, don't know why.)  Also some of the then-new Hornady SD ammo (the ones prior to the Critical Duty/Defense line).

Cost me about $200, which wasn't great.  But I got to try out (and compare directly) the feel of each of those.  They all have good research backing their effectiveness, so any would have been fine.  For me, though, it was immediately obvious that the 124s would work better just due to how the recoil impulse feels to shoot, which is obviously highly subjective.  Other than that, they worked fine---and I could get the best prices on 50-round boxes of the Federal HST 124 or 124 +P, so I just went with those.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
I personally like the the Federal HST in 124 and 124 +P....and they happen to shoot pretty much just like the ammo I normally load for all my match shooting.  I know other folks that love the 147s, particularly in the Winchester Ranger-T load.  And I hear the Critical Duty 135 gr ones are excellent...

...what we need to do is get 5 people together, and everyone brings 100 rounds of a different type/mass of self-defense round, and everyone gets 20 rounds of each type, just to try out.  Not enough to really test for full reliability, but enough to get an idea of what you want to try out for real...

Actually, when I was choosing mine, I got myself a 50-round box each of Winchester Ranger-T in 147, Federal HST in 124, 124+P, and 147, and Speer Gold Dots in 147.  (Didn't get GD in 124, don't know why.)  Also some of the then-new Hornady SD ammo (the ones prior to the Critical Duty/Defense line).

Cost me about $200, which wasn't great.  But I got to try out (and compare directly) the feel of each of those.  They all have good research backing their effectiveness, so any would have been fine.  For me, though, it was immediately obvious that the 124s would work better just due to how the recoil impulse feels to shoot, which is obviously highly subjective.  Other than that, they worked fine---and I could get the best prices on 50-round boxes of the Federal HST 124 or 124 +P, so I just went with those.
If you don't mind me asking you carry what?

I enjoyed watching you shoot at the last multi gun match.. I think you were shooting a 40 and I'm not sure what your power factor was but it was very smooth. For me I would much put two back to back shots where I know they count with a bit lighter recoil load compared to something harder hitting and I pull a shot.  So how much a difference does standard vs +p Make? I was considering trying out a box of citical duty from DEguns but they only have +p.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:59:24 AM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 06:02:17 AM »
If you don't mind me asking you carry what?

G17, about 95% of the time.  G19 the other 5%.

I enjoyed watching you shoot at the last multi gun match.. I think you were shooting a 40 and I'm not sure what your power factor was but it was very smooth.

Actually, that is my wife's Glock 35 (in 40).  I don't actually own a 40, myself.  I had to shoot it because I was in Heavy Metal Tactical division, which requires at least a 40 with 10-round mags.  My normal gun for competitions is a Glock 34 in 9mm--I pretty much only shoot her 40 in Multigun, and don't actually practice with it.

As for power factor---T. Engel's reloaded those for Julie, and they are more than a bit overpowered.  :)  He does NOT load light, even for Major, so I _think_ (if I recall correctly) they are about 187 power factor.  Not positive on the exact number, though I recall they are significantly above the requirement for Major power factor.

For me I would much put two back to back shots where I know they count with a bit lighter recoil load compared to something harder hitting and I pull a shot.  So how much a difference does standard vs +p Make? I was considering trying out a box of citical duty from DEguns but they only have +p.

+P gets you a higher velocity, so more recoil from the shooter's end, but more effect from the "results" end--more penetration, better chance of expansion.  That doesn't mean that the regular rounds aren't good enough, just that the +P go faster, with the advantages that come with that.

In 9mm, the increased recoil makes it a bit snappier, but since it is only a 9mm, out of a full-size duty gun it really isn't a big deal.  (Out of a subcompact it would be less fun.) 

If you are interested in Critical Duty, you might take a look at Ammunition Depot.  They have the +P in stock for $24 for a box of 50.  (I don't know what DEGuns' price is--is theirs lower?)

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Hornady-9mm-135-Grain-FlexLock-Critical-Duty-p/90235.htm

Like I said, I personally like the Federal HST, but any one of the list that's been said so far seem to be equally effective according to research. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »
Thank you much guys! Now the qruestion does anyone need ammo in Lincoln? I'm going to order next week and can order extra to help save one shipping since its 14 bucks for 100 rounds!

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »
Another bump. I am going to be buying from ammunition depot. They have several other brands in stock doesn't have to be critical duty that I will be ordering. I have one person right now and shipping is sitting around 15 total so it would be split how ever many ways

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Final bump... Well maybe in the am. Ordering tomorrow. I have one other person in to split shipping. Message me if interested.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:15:07 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 09:05:18 PM »
I have one other person in to slut shipping.

Auto correct or human trafficking?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Auto correct or human trafficking?
:-X