< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Obama executive order limits police use of military equipment.  (Read 1159 times)

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Google (or your favorite search method) this latest order. (warning...the media is definately slanted).

No tracked vehicles for police, no large caliber weapons, no grenade launchers..., no camo, limits riot shields (??). Even heard there is consideration of pulling all military grade equipment from police.

Wondered where the Ferguson fiasco was going, POTUS and AG interest (before other support of various interest groups and action), racial unrest events everywhere (even the First Lady dig at the Tuskegee commencments).

Is this where this was all planned to go from the beginning.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Obama executive order limits police use of military equipment.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:23 PM »
Here's some food for thought.  Look at all the American weapons ISIS has acquired from the allies we armed after they wilted like a cheap suit. 
ISIS got it's start in an American prison.  Lots of free time to plan such stuff.  Maybe the administration is thinking a large scale prison revolt, (not totally out of the question), could result in these weapons falling into the hands of outnumbered police. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
 from what ive heard and read. the govnt will not supply the military items to police, that includes tracked vehicles, they will continue to supply MRAP,s  and other wheeled vehicles,
    And, it does not limit what police depts. can buy on the open markets.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Burkdoggy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
What is considered a "large caliber weapon"?  I hate when terms like that are used.  Like that Feinstein woman that doesn't like rifles with that shoulder thing that goes up. There can't be anything good about this president making executive orders, regardless of the topic.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »
Even with equipment, look how recent events have allowed the criminal element to run amok, looting and burning.

I still believe if people were behaving themselves, there would be fewer police encounters.

The recent Waco incident at the Twin Peaks, could have used some armored vehicles....etc.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Obama and his ilk will disarm and downgrade the arms of the good guys to the greatest extent they can.  This latest edict is small and doesn't seem like a big deal, but big things often come in baby steps.  When you look at other things, like leaders of the liberal cult calling for greater federal power over the police, you have to wonder if at some point these steps will all make sense, like chess pieces having been moved into position.  Or maybe it's just what one would expect from a president who has no respect for American law, and who sees criminals as victims of it.

When Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, the corrupt government disarmed the good guys and then stood by and did nothing while mobs robbed and murdered them.  There's a good explanation of this in the book Death by Gun Control, by Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.  I have no doubt Obama and many of his followers would love to do something like that in America.  But they lack the power.  Some of the recent riots we've seen are mild versions of that though.  And there might be more of them.     
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
Let's see ... the locals can't have the "good stuff" but the feds can ....  What could possibly go wrong?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »
What is considered a "large caliber weapon"?  I hate when terms like that are used.  Like that Feinstein woman that doesn't like rifles with that shoulder thing that goes up. There can't be anything good about this president making executive orders, regardless of the topic.
50 caliber is the large caliber mentioned

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
I have no love for bam bam whatsoever.  I think militarized police units are a waste of taxpayer money.

However:  The headline is misleading.

The won actually worked within the framework of his powers to limit the giving away of excess / surplus military equipment to local PD.

He cannot and did not do anything to limit local PD from obtaining or using said equipment in other ways.

However, as always, be wary of the resident's intentions.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
you have to wonder if at some point these steps will all make sense, like chess pieces having been moved into position

This is where I am at. It is as simple as "knee-jerk" reaction to people problems, or a greater plan? Seems one minute a "gun control" (Now is the Time) executive action provides for lavish police funding, and the next minute things are being taken away.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:52 PM »
As is readily apparent from my avatar I detest the verminous President. However, I am fine with NOT providing military equipment to the Police. They are civilian law-enforcement not para-military shock troops. There is no conceivable reason for cops to have a tracked armor vehicle. If anything this order doesn't go far enough. I am certain Obung-hole is doing this for some devious reason, but the outcome is ok with me. Stop militarizing the police.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
I am fine with NOT providing military equipment to the Police
I agree. Not a fan of the militarization of the police, at all. I'm not sure what to make of this move by bho though.

I haven't looked at this executive order in detail, but suspect it is either:
1) Lip service to other community organizers, since it is not a ban on PDs acquiring said items through other channels.
2) Further centralization of power with the feds. A step towards disarming the local LEOs while doing nothing to slow the militarization of DHS and all of its federal forces.

If I had to guess, I'd guess the latter.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill