< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Casting Cart  (Read 1950 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Casting Cart
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
Since I can't cast at home anymore, I have to cast here at work.  There's a slight problem with this in that it gets a bit windy here.

Soooo... I figured I'd build a casting cart.  Total cost was around $60 so far.

The original plans were from this:

http://www.shopnotesspecials.com/smallshop/plans/pdf/10-plywood-projects.pdf

The first page shows the cart, and page 8 has the actual cart plans.  I don't need the top working area, so I worked on making the sides taller, and the drawer taller (to hold my lee pot), and lastly fill in a 3rd side to fully act as a wind shield.

You'll find some blurry (oops) pictures below.

It's a bit fatter than I had expected, but I think all that extra working area will be handy.  It also will possibly let me put in hooks or other things to hang tools on, etc (or possibly a small burner for pre-heating lead or molds etc).

This was made out of a sheet of BCX plywood, so the edges are a bit harsh.  I'll prolly buy some of the aluminum channel you can put on the edges to make things friendlier.  I'll also debate maybe lining the working area with some ductwork metal (or other thin sheet metal) and then stain and poly the rest of the cart.

The working height of the cart is 16.5".  This is a bit low for most people probably - but I'm actually used to being hunched over my pot while sitting on a small bucket and casting heh.  If ya change out the cheaper 3" casters for 5" or 6", you can bring it up higher (and add $25-$30 to the cost).  Throwing it up on cinder blocks would prolly work as well (cart does weigh 55lbs or so heh).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:52:50 AM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Casting Cart
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
Oh, and just for SFG: I tried my best to use knobs or maybe even knockers instead of a sash pull on the drawer, but it just wasn't gonna work out :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
Whatever opens the drawer.................

[Right now the thought of using my hands for anything is somewhat painful.  EMG Friday morning.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Dragged cart out, suited up, started melting some of the lead bought from shooter ...

Breeze picked up and could smell the rain coming.  Pack everything back up and take it inside.  20min later, raining.

sigh ... no casting for me this memorial day

edit/add:

Assuming each bullet is 150gr and I'm casting 2 at a time - I'm gonna have to break the mold open ~10k times ._. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:38:49 PM by unfy »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
Dragged cart out, suited up, started melting some of the lead bought from shooter ...

Breeze picked up and could smell the rain coming.  Pack everything back up and take it inside.  20min later, raining.

sigh ... no casting for me this memorial day

edit/add:

Assuming each bullet is 150gr and I'm casting 2 at a time - I'm gonna have to break the mold open ~10k times ._. 

why not cast in the garage? open a window and the door, should be great
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
 why not cast in the garage? open a window and the door, should be great

3rd floor apartment. No garage. Etc.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
Looks good.  I just need to start casting again.  I haven't plugged in my pot in over a year.

But then again it seems like I hardly shoot anymore :angry: