< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What fixed blade do you rely on?  (Read 7960 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
What fixed blade do you rely on?
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I have a USN MKII(I think ???) knife that was given to me by my uncle when I was about 12 or so.  I used to beat the heck out of it, used it as a hatchet, hammer, pry-bar, spear, you name it - I abused it terribly. 
I just found it in a box the last time we moved and put a decent edge back on it and it now stays in my BOB.

What is your "go-to" fixed blade knife?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: What fixed blade do you rely on?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
I don't own one (yet).  I have thought about the Glock field knife. Just cuz it 's cheap, and I wouldn't worry about breaking it, yet it gets a decent review
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
About 20 years or so ago I bought into the Cold Steel hype and got myself a Master Hunter with the Carbon V blade.  It's actually a pretty good knife.  Holds an edge and is durable.  The rubber grip keeps it from getting slippery when disemboweling large omnivores.

For day to day use I picked up a knife just like this one, made by Jeff White.  For the price it can't be beat.  http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFF-WHITE-Custom-Knife-1600-1800sFrench-Trade-4_W0QQitemZ230397370751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a4c0e17f#ht_518wt_1165

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
Eldest's knife and hatchet next to mine.....

....my knife I found in a drawer at my grandparents after I left mine at home...... it took awhile to put an edge on it, but it keeps it well....... I have no idea where it came from originally, or how old it might be...... It says "Utica Sportsman U.S.A.

I've fixed the handle a couple of times, and the back of the knife is starting to show the effects of various hatchets and hammers (my boot, one year!) driving it through deer pelvis bones......

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:11:08 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »
I have several SOG Seal pups, if the Navy Seals endorse a knife, it's got to be a good one, and I've had nothing but good performance out of them, I also have a Buck Alpha that I also use in field dressing...    The best knife I ever had was a Lakota Finwing, but I lost it when I moved back home to Nebraska, I still regret losing that knife...

Offline semtex

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
LMF II is my primary pig-sticker, but I am really interested in the Ka-bar Heavy Bowie for field use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPnundCjQo#t=1m47s
?Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
I rely on my Gurkha from Cold Hard Steel for any problem. It can double as a fine hachet as well. I can put this right thorough the chest plate of a deer lol.
The second pic is my LME III Survival knife. Came with a drop leg holste and has holes in the handle to tie off to make a spear and the handle can be used as glass breaker on one side and a handle on the other.

May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Ummmm I think I loaded the pics backwards lol.
May GOD have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't          General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
The LME III blade is made by Gerber. Sorry about the delayed info.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
I rely on my Gurkha from Cold Hard Steel for any problem.

I'd hate to even imagine trying to field dress a deer with that......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 01:48:14 AM »
I carry one of these while hunting, mainly for bone cutting and breaking. I use my Browning folding for gutting and organ / loin removal in the field.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:12:12 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline Ironfist

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
I rely on my Gurkha from Cold Hard Steel for any problem.

I'd hate to even imagine trying to field dress a deer with that......

I have done it many times. I have a separate intrail remover. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against any pewny knif anyday lol.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
I don't own one (yet).  I have thought about the Glock field knife. Just cuz it 's cheap, and I wouldn't worry about breaking it, yet it gets a decent review

When I said I didn't own fixed blade, I was referring to one that could be used in a survival setting... Right now I am seriously considering a Sog Seal pup Elite.

I do have a few collectors that I won shooting trap.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

A-FIXER

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
Sog Seal fixed blade for me extreme and bench for dressing out. but I think I need another.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »
got a SOG Seal Pup for xmas, sweet......
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
Winchester Riot Knife, WN-1444
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 11:17:41 AM »

This knife is cheap enough to be disposable but versatile enough to serve most purposes needed. The blade is long enough to pierce organs if needed, yet the blade and form factor are non-threatening enough as to not intimidate civilians.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

A-FIXER

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
Roper, They are nice huh!

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
A-Fixer, I really like the feel of the knife.  Look forward to using it to get a better feel for how I get along w/ it.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

A-FIXER

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
I also like the case it come with the web cutter, and the hoge feel is also what I like as well I thing I have to get a lansky knife sharpner for the premium edge to be kept.

Offline mike n

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
i like the bushman by cold steel for camping holds a good edge and is not overly expensive. for a fight (i hope not) i would like my Ka-bar