< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading Benches  (Read 3130 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Reloading Benches
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
Well I'm in the market for another reloading bench, never really had a nice solid one before. If people could share theirs for ideas that would be awesome! Searches have brought up a lot but nothing that seems to fit the bill for me. I have space for an 8 foot bench but can't decide how I'm going to lay it out in terms of shelving or storage. This weekend I will probably do a mock layout of where I plan on putting things and determine if I will have to wrap it around a corner. I will need a spot for my press, a small booth for airbrushing my fishing lures with a spot for my compressor under the bench, a spot that could be used for cleaning guns or mounting a vise so I can finally start building on my AR lowers, and if there is room a little area that can be used for some light bullet/fishing weight casting.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Reloading Benches
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:27:42 AM »
I don't reload but this setup from Sam's Club might work well for what you need.  The bench and the cabinets came from Sam's.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Ridged ridged ridged. I would do a minimum of 2 sheets of 3/4" ply wood glued and screwed together for the top and then lots of bracing under your press. Another thing is take some time to really plan things out. Think about what chair your going to use  to reload and how high you want your table. I share equipment with my dad. When he put the bench together he didn't have a chair yet he went out and bought a stool from Loews. After the fact the stool is to tall so its awkward to run the press and his office chair is a bit to low. Maybe your press height and your work spray booth height are at different levels.

Are you looking to build or buy?

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »
I'm for sure going to build, on one of my old benches I used some plywood and it didn't hold up for crap. I think I want to make it decent looking so I will go with a hardwood top. One of these days I will get to a place to price out some lumber.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
i don't reload, so i got some old computer desks and use them for all my gun work/cleaning and school studying.  if i ever build or buy a house, i will spend some time and money making my own benches.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »
If you don't care too much for looks, an old solid-core door can make a decent bench top. As for storage, I like cabinets above and below.

I'll echo some other comments, getting the height right for you is important.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
If you don't care too much for looks, an old solid-core door can make a decent bench top. As for storage, I like cabinets above and below.

I'll echo some other comments, getting the height right for you is important.

Spot on with the door. As far as height I just bought an adjustable drafting stool/ with adjustable lumbar and back.

D.R

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »
Well, the Sam's Club bench is being turned into a reloading bench ....

The cabinets are sturdy enough to support the weight of the brass as wells as the other heavy, metal items like the dies.  The top of the bench is 1.5" thick Maple and the legs are adjustable to ensure that it's level.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »

Suits my needs . Everything hidden except the presses when not in use.
D.R

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »
I came into a length of counter top. Grey in color. Ive built one work bench with part of it.
Free to any NFOA member. U haul.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
I came into a length of counter top. Grey in color. Ive built one work bench with part of it.
Free to any NFOA member. U haul.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Pm in bound!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk