< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CUSTOMIZING YOU FIREARM  (Read 1028 times)

Offline TROYHAYS

• NFOA Full Member
CUSTOMIZING YOU FIREARM
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:33:24 PM »
My question came from a conversation on another web site. Is it legal to customize your concealed firearm by putting a new trigger with less pull legal if you ever have to use it on another human being or is it illegal since it makes it easier to fire, in my opinion the customizing of a firearm should be our right if we do not put illegal parts on it. Does anyone have any feed back that i can find out about this subject . Please let me know, thank you in advance, i don't know where to go when i get any answers from anyone on this web site but i will try because i really need an answer
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:35:58 PM by TROYHAYS »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CUSTOMIZING YOU FIREARM
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
You can do any legal mod to your firearm you want.  If you want a hair trigger, that's your choice, though not recommended.  The reason some say it's illegal is a misconception.  Mods are not illegal, but a crafty lawyer may try to use them against you in a civil suit.  As far as being used in a criminal suit, the only thing that matters is if you were legally justified in using deadly force.  Period.  Some lawyers may try to sway a jury by claiming you were just itching to kill someone and will try to offer the mods as evidence of this.  Modifications are not illegal in and of themselves though.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »
im going to agree with barmandr.  for example, i want to replace the trigger in my M&P40, but i won't be putting the light and short competition trigger from Apex in it, i'll be putting the duty trigger in it.  the duty makes the trigger pull shorter and cleaner, not much easier.  the same goes for what ammunition you use.... use self defense or whatever the police are using.  do not use FMJ.

also, when people say something is illegal, make them show you the law that says its illegal.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
This is a conversation that is ever reoccurring.  My stance continues to be that if you have a good lawyer, what you have done to the handgun should be addressed by the attorney.  For example, you put in a lighter trigger, then the attorney needs to be ready with an explanation on why being more accurate with your shots is desired and more responsible.  However, with the lighter trigger, one serious consideration as to its benefit is the fact that in a stressful situation, a 6 pound trigger may feel more like a 2 pound trigger.  That is to say, you may be pulling off shots when you don't intend to because fine motor skills go out the window under stress.

Lastly, there are SO many "You should never xxx" and "The prosecutor will use xxx against you".  Regardless of what you do, you are pretty much screwed one way or another if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »
Interesting video regarding this subject...

Fly
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:52:40 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum