< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Stoeger M2000 SBS  (Read 2216 times)

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
Stoeger M2000 SBS
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:38 AM »
So here is the story.

I bought an M2000 about 5 years ago and have had some mixed experiences with it. The short version is there is no resale value in them so I figured I would look into making an SBS out of it. I love the feel and the weight and it shoots really smooth ( most of the time) and has no real issues outside of the fact that I need to run 1200+ FPS loads.

This is where the questions start.

1. I know that I want this as short as possible (12-13") but has anyone her actually cut a vent rib barrel down themselves? If so, what is the best way to do it?
2. does anyone have any actual experience with an SBS semi-auto like a Stoeger?
3. given that is an inertia system, does anyone know what the reliability could look like with a 12-13" Barrel.

As always, any assistance or guidance to a resource is appreciated. Additionally, I know that have a smith or machinist would be best, but this is supposed to be a budget DIY build.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:38:06 AM by kruiz »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Stoeger M2000 SBS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
That's a tough one. I have zero experience but I'm curious to know how the semi auto would be affected, if at all.

I wonder if someone on the arfcom boards would know the answers or have already done it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
I've cut down a vent rib barrel myself before.  Just took a hacksaw to it and then straightened it up with a file.

Since this is recoil operated I'm guessing barrel length wouldn't affect operation.

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »
See if anyone sbs a m2 I know it's not the exact platform something to Google search.

Also maybe try to cut it down to a 16 inch barrel. See how it functions. You might be able to test things out a bit before you drop the cash for the stamp.
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:56:50 AM »
tstuart, the 16" is still below the 18" minimum so that won't work. they make an 18" already and that runs fine. My plan is to cut the existing barrel once the paperwork comes back. It looks like it'll be about 90 or so days so there will be plenty of time to research the exact length I am going to, but the rib looks like it will let me go about 14" which should be right on the money. I might take the rib off all together. we'll see what happens and I will keep you up to date.
Also, Robert, I have never forgotten that experience with your AOW. That was my first time with NFA and put me on the path to 3 cans and 2 SBRs with this SBS and another SBR and can at some point in the future. Thanks for the experience.  8)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
tstuart, the 16" is still below the 18" minimum so that won't work. they make an 18" already and that runs fine. My plan is to cut the existing barrel once the paperwork comes back. It looks like it'll be about 90 or so days so there will be plenty of time to research the exact length I am going to, but the rib looks like it will let me go about 14" which should be right on the money. I might take the rib off all together. we'll see what happens and I will keep you up to date.
Also, Robert, I have never forgotten that experience with your AOW. That was my first time with NFA and put me on the path to 3 cans and 2 SBRs with this SBS and another SBR and can at some point in the future. Thanks for the experience.  8)

That's what I'm here for. Helping you spend your money.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official