< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Picking up my AI AE MKIII Covert tomorrow and I am stoked!!  (Read 3102 times)

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
I have wanted one for years and found a price I just couldn't pass up.  Too bad it is going to take 7+ months for the suppressor be approved :(

It has a spare barrel with it too but I might sell it.

They have funny guys working for them it appears (look closely at the sticker)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:32:06 PM by jlficken »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Pickup up my AI AE MKIII Covert tomorrow and I am stoked!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
Nice!  I'm jealous.  What caliber?

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Picking up my AI AE MKIII Covert tomorrow and I am stoked!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
My wife is very understanding of my addiction.  As far as I know the Covert only comes in .308 Win as the barrel and suppressor are part of the same kit.

I just find it amusing that the suppressor is over 17in long :-)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:54:41 PM »
Cool. Any other info on the can?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
I can't find a whole lot about it.  It is made by SAS (Suppressed Armament Sysems), called the Covert, and should be around 135db or a little less from what I can find.

It is made of titanium and QD.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
Nice looking rifle. Congrats on the purchase!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
So is the Covert based on the same action as other AI rifles?  I'm not familiar with this model but IIRC the barrels on other AI's are easily changeable by the end user.  You could get something like a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington barrel and use the same bolt head if you want to do some long range shooting, and keep the shorty for shorter range suppressed shooting.

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
Thanks for the congrats!  I get to pick it up at 5PM sharp today...wohoo ;D

The deal with the Covert models is that they arrive in the US as standard models (ie AE/AW) and are converted by AINA (Accuracy International North America) because suppressors cannot be imported into the US for civilian sales.

Basically they get the rifle, remove the original barrel, and install the 16" barrel with the suppressor.

The AE (my rifle) and AW rifles are largely the same with a few notable exceptions...

1) AW rifles have 2 integral recoil lugs that machined into the action while the AE has a single removable recoil lug that isn't part of the action.
2) AW rifles actions are bonded to the chassis while the AE is not.
3) AW rifles have 4 bolts holding the action to the chassis (besides the adhesive) where there are 2 bolts in each recoil lug while the AE only has 2 bolts (1 in the recoil lug on the front and one in the rear of the action).
4) While both AW and AE barrels are easily changed you must remove the AE barreled action from the chassis to change its barrel since the recoil lug isn't part of the action like on the AW.

Below is the barrel change procedure on an AI AE MKII (same as on the MKIII).  It takes about 20 minutes to make the swap if you take your time I believe but I don't know if I will work up the courage to try it any time soon as torquing the action to 100 ft/lbs makes me nervous :)

Almost any of the big barrel makers (GAP, Dave Tooley, etc.) can make a barrel for the AE/AW series as the tolerances of the rifles are so consistent from what I have seen that it is very, very unlikely a barrel sent out to you won't head-space properly (although you still should check).

If anyone can tell me how to embed I would be happy to do so.

AI was actually offering some models in 6.5CM as well as 260 Remington and some other calibers for the AE series I believe before they were discontinued in 2014.  The AT/AX (AE/AW replacements) might be offered in them as well but I haven't kept up with them.

I am fine with .308 Win though as I only have access to 600yds (Heartland Park) if I make a special trip, otherwise, I go to Central City which is limited to 200yds.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:48:57 AM by jlficken »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
It should not take 7+ months for the suppressor. NFA approval times are actually sitting about 3-4 right now.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
It should not take 7+ months for the suppressor. NFA approval times are actually sitting about 3-4 right now.

The Form 4 times are 3-4 months from check being cashed (which can take 3-4 weeks it seems right now), however, I purchased the package from Mile High Shooting in Colorado so I will need to wait 2-3 months for the Form 3 to clear as well sadly.

I am still waiting on a Form 4 Trust for a Spectre II that was mailed on 3-1 and check cashed on 3-14 and the times seem to be trending upwards due to the 41P scare.

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
It's here!!  All 14lbs 7oz of it  ;D

I just have .823" Badger rings on it but will be ordering 1.125" tonight to get a proper cheek weld and clear the suppressor as well as some HK hooks for the TIS sling.

If it weren't for some nicks in the finish of the barrel from mounting the suppressor I wouldn't even know it was used.  I ran a patch down the barrel and it was basically clean the first time so I did one more and stopped.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »
That is one pretty rifle. *jealous*
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
Man, that's a hot looking rifle. How far do you plan to be taking shots with it at?

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
Man, that's a hot looking rifle. How far do you plan to be taking shots with it at?

Thanks!

Most likely 600yds and under since that is the farthest I can easily access (Heartland Park).

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
What's the twist rate?  Can you shoot really heavy subsonic bullets?

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
1:10" on the 16" barrel and 1:12" on the 19" barrel I believe.

So up to probably 225gr with the 16" and probably 178gr on the 19" if I ever use it.