< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR: PRT Handgun Technique/Shooting Skills course, June 26th and 27th...  (Read 613 times)

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
This is an after action report for the above class. I have not attended many such courses and am by no means an expert, more closely put I am a determined beginner. I have attended several Apple Seed marksmanship classes for rifle put on by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association and  use that as my bench mark, they have very good instructors and a great curriculum.
Like the Apple Seed instructors, J. Thomas Howard's first priority was Safety and continued to be throughout  the entire class. Each session began with a safety briefing on the proper handling of firearms.The second priority was Fundamentals, like the Apple Seed's Thomas knows that good and even great shooting is built on fundamentals. By the time he had finished discussing safety and fundamentals in the first session I felt like I was in the right place. By the end of the class I found I had made  improvements in my stance, grip and draw all of which helped me to consistently have faster and more accurate shot placement on multiple targets and various distances.
For me, the PRT Handgun Technique Class was like an Apple Seed for the handgun. It helped me to develop consistent, repeatable techniques that I can practice at home with dryfire drills and confirm when I go to the range. If you are interested in more details of the class check out Aldo's AAR. I look forward to training with Thomas again and hope to make it to the ENGC's next Steel Challenge this month to test my newly honed skills.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.