< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's plan a run & gun!  (Read 3887 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Let's plan a run & gun!
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »
As an exercise, here's a fairly exhaustive list of expenses for an event like this (some of these might not apply to this particular race):

1. Land rental
2. Insurance
3. Targets
4. Obstacles
5. Sign-up Processing Fees
6. Competitor ID Cards
7. Course Marking Materials (Cones, Barricades, Signs, Marking Tape, Cups, Tables, Chairs, Trash Cans ...)
8. T-shirts for Competitors
9. T-shirts for Volunteers
10. Safety Vests, etc. for Volunteers (Volunteers could be required to provide their own eye and ear protection)
11. Food
12. Water, Cups, Coolers
13. Ambulance
14. EZ Up Tents for Staff & Volunteers
15. Timing Equipment & Software
16. Permits (depending on location)
17. Generator
18. PA System
19. Fuel
20. Promotion/Advertising
21. Porta-johns
22. On-site Registration (Laptop, WiFi ...)
23. Leader Board (White Board, Chalk Board, TV ...)

Based on 50 competitors, at $75.00 per competitor, revenue would be in the $3750 ballpark.
^ Oh my!  So.... we can't just run around in the woods like a bunch of hillbillies shootin' stuff? 
(I'm saddened, now, Until this I thought I might have a chance, but looks like Mud plans on getting all fancy and stuff.  ;) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
I think this is a really cool project.  To have something like this in Nebraska would be great.

As far as the NFOA getting involved, I don't see much value in it.

Some basic observations:
-The event will be rather remote.  Participants will be about the only folks that will be there.  It's not like a 5K run through town where many non-participants will see the event and vendor booths, sponsorship banners, etc.
-The folks that will participate in an event like this will likely already be NFOA members or be aware of the NFOA.
-There are risks involved in something like this that I don't want to take on.
-The benefits seem small, both financial and publicity.
-There is a lot of work involved to put this together.  It appears that several hard working individuals are already brainstorming this and I trust the right folks are already involved to make this a success.  Specifically, there are folks involved in this that have experience participating in this type of event.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
^ Oh my!  So.... we can't just run around in the woods like a bunch of hillbillies shootin' stuff? 

We could ....  Or, we could put on a professional event that would draw great sponsors and competitors alike.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 11:29:27 AM »
We could ....  Or, we could put on a professional event that would draw great sponsors and competitors alike.

Here is a point we agree upon, and I don't think our disagreements are not as far apart as it sometimes seems.

Your list of expenses for an event similar to what we are talking about, I think you have a good list and there might even be a couple that have been left off.  I also hope that a lot of those expenses we will be able to control with good planning and partnerships.

Not surprisingly, I disagree with Andy.  Sponsors don't care if an event is put on by a charitable organization, a group of individuals or a for-profit corporation.  They care about two things:
1. How many people will attend
2. How professional will the event be

Sponsors are looking for as much exposure as possible and they want the event to reflect positively on them.

We can agree that these are two very important concerns for sponsors, but having an organization such as the NFOA directly involved would expand the exposure because not only would/could the sponsorship have exposure to those competing but it can also be shared with the NFOA membership through the web site, social media and emails.  Also there is a desire from some larger corporate concerns to support the NFOA, but they need something to support (a reason to donate) and putting something like this on could open the door to getting support there (in the past both Hornaday and Cabela's have been contacted about supporting the NFOA and they have asked us to give them something specific to support, this could be it).

As with most first-year events, sponsors will be hard to come by.  There's no track record for the event.  The good news is that we have several businesses that are NFOA sponsors who might also be willing to sponsor an event like this.  The further good news is that I have a fair amount of experience getting sponsors for events ... and have sponsored a fair number of events.  The further good news is that my digital magazine, Trek Tech Black, usually has some cool SWAG laying around from the vendors whose products we have reviewed and I am willing to donate some of these items for the prize table.

I agree with what you have said here, yes the first year even those who could give large amounts of support would most likely limit their input and if the event is successful it would lead to increases in support later.

With all that said, I seriously doubt that an event like this will produce much in the way of cash flow/proceeds to be donated to the NFOA.  The expenses - particularly in the first year - are significant and - again especially in the first year - the number of competitors should be limited to make the event more manageable.

Here is where we have some disagreements, but not as much as I feel you are placing on it.  I agree we will need to limit the number of competitors, and if the resources are there the limit could be raised.  Your starting point mentioned of 50 competitors is probably as good of a starting point as any for initial planning and budgeting at some point a number needs to be set to plan everything else around.

Our point of disagreement is more in what the goal is, it appears yours is simply to have a fun, safe well organized event, and I agree with that.  But I would add a fundraising goal to the event, there have been lots of fundraising shoots that have produced large amounts of income for charities. politicians and others not only held here in Nebraska but nationwide,  These events would not continue to happen if there was not money to be brought in by them, some of these events happen annually from the same people so there must be some income there.

Could the event be started in the way Mudinyeri describes it and it be expanded and picked up by the NFOA in later years if successful, yes it could.  But even if starting small and without being "Officially Sponsored" by the NFOA it should have a fundraising goal, and not disparaging your abilities to get sponsorships but hoping to build upon them, and if we need to include outside help to achieve those goals it is available from people that make their living by tracking down corporate sponsorships and fundraising.  There is a cost to that but there are fundraisers who are "Friends of the NFOA" who may provide some advice or even do the work for a reduced rate.  It seems we always set our goals to just have fun and if something comes from it great, but I think we need to, at some point, shoot for something a little higher.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:06:14 PM by AAllen »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
Rereading my post I notice I did not make a large enough point about something that we are in agreement upon.

The NFOA has some great supporters who no matter what would step forward to support any event that we tried to start.  Your continued support is much appreciated even as we look at others in our community to also provide support.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Andy, I didn't say we were a long ways apart - just that we were in disagreement.  Moreover, two sitting board members have indicated that they don't see an alignment between an event like this and the Vision, Mission and Goals of the NFOA.

As always, the NFOA has to be narrowly focused utilizing its limited resourced to support those activities most closely aligned with its Vision, Mission and Goals.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
I would suggest we move forward with planning this event independent of the NFOA, and if the board chooses to sponsor or otherwise be affiliated they are welcome to do so.  At the very least I think having a table to recruit members would be a good idea.  There won't be a huge number of people attending, but I think the kind of people who sign up for something like this are more likely to be actively involved in gun rights issues, compared to your average gun show attendee.