< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Combination seating/crimping dies  (Read 2015 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Combination seating/crimping dies
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
I would like to speed up my round production.  1K rounds in 1 hour 15 minutes is just a little too slow.  ;D

I have a Dillon XL650 with one open station (1-Decap/size, 2-Powder drop/bell +prime, 3-Empty, 4-Seating, 5-Crimp), but I wanted to add a bullet feeder. That would all work except after adding the bullet feeder, I have no system to check powder (currently using visual check). When the case moves from station 2 to the bullet feeder at station 3, I believe it will be very difficult to check the powder level visually due to the construction of the press.

This brought me to consider getting a combination seating/crimping die for station 5 with the bullet feeder at station 4.  This would leave station 3 open for a possible powder check with audible alarm.

Any thoughts on the dual seating/crimping die or another way I could do this? I have read a few things on the web (though several were older posts) stating this will cause problems in the quality of the rounds.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Combination seating/crimping dies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
All my dies are dual. I have gone to a seprate crimping die for more consitant results. Dillion guys opted run dual dies for the exact phrpose.

just started using a bullet feeder die. Makes things quick. I don't know if it's 1k in a he quick but I am also running a hornady press with no case feeder.

My case feeder right now is set up like a primer tube load up a bunch of bullets pull a pin and they fall into the feeder die. Empty tube replace with a new tube. The plan is to make my own feeder just haven't got to it yet. Using this method I am around 400 per hr maybe haven't got to run it enough to really have a exact number yet.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:45:21 PM »
I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die in my 550 for 9mm, but for .223 I just use my RCBS dual seater/crimp die.  The trick is to have a consistent trim length on your brass.  If all the cases are the same length you'll get the same crimp on each one.

I do want to buy a FCD for .223 and try it some day, though.  I hear a lot of good things about them, and I like it for 9mm.

I REALLY wish I had bought a 650 instead of a 550.  The 550 is a fantastic machine, but the extra station would be so nice.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:47:51 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
Combo dies will get you killed on the streets.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:44:14 AM »
Lorimor:

How?

If like all good re-loaders you check functioning in your weapon and all rounds work I don't see the problem.

Again, I don't carry reloads "on the street" but that is my choice.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
Lorimor:

How?

If like all good re-loaders you check functioning in your weapon and all rounds work I don't see the problem.

:)  Just havin' a little fun with Fly.   

Seriously though, experience with loading on my Lorimor Industries IDPA DeLuxe Extreme Turbo Magnum 650XL, leads me to believe that even with a bullet feeder installed at Station 3, a visual check could be performed on each case.  I have LED's installed on my 650 which greatly aid in visual checks. 

http://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-650

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
Lorimor:

How?

I think he was talking in idpa sarcasm.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
I think he was talking in idpa sarcasm.

Yes.  It's a special kind of sarcasm, with vests.   :)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:31:43 AM »
Yes.  It's a special kind of sarcasm, with vests.   :)
I'm not sure you can trust a person who only makes slide lock reloads though.

But on topic here.... Like bk said it's how consistent you can get things. Brass length is what kills that. The other nice thing with a crimping die is it also works as a sizing die for the base of the case that a sizing die often does not handle.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
Combo dies will get you killed on the streets.

LOL

Seriously though, experience with loading on my Lorimor Industries IDPA DeLuxe Extreme Turbo Magnum 650XL, leads me to believe that even with a bullet feeder installed at Station 3, a visual check could be performed on each case.  I have LED's installed on my 650 which greatly aid in visual checks. 

I have that same light. It is AWESOME. One thing you may not be considering is my lack of vertical stature compared to your freakishly high cranium.  ;D

Seriously though, I'm wondering if I'm tall enough to see down into the case on station 3. I will try it at home, but I may need to dig out my old platform shoes or stand on a milk crate to see the powder level.

Fly
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:18:31 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:05 AM »
Just consider what, during a high-speed firing cycle, a squib (with bullet lodged in barrel) could do to you and your gun.
As long as you can ensure the right powder charge in each case, go for it.
I found back around 1974 or so that my loads were more accurate when I separated crimping and seating. You may not need the extra accuracy, so doing two things at once may be perfect.