< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: shotgun input request  (Read 1476 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
shotgun input request
« on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »
I finally shot my first multi-gun this weekend.  Figured out my field gun won't cut it.

In the market for a suitable one.

Don't have a big preference of action, pump or semi.
8 shot with chamber loaded, minimum.
Want it ready to go out of the box.  Don't want to have to modify it. (like adding magazine extensions and such).
Don't one that is too pricey since I will only use it 5 or 6 times a year.
Really don't want something that is finicky about ammo.

I have talked with a few of you in person.  I would like to get a broader range of input from my gun savvy compadres here.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: shotgun input request
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »
 I have a few rem 870 riot guns, really like them,  I ran them for years in 3 gun matches,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »
Most semi autos will run well over1250 fps. Other wise an 870 or Mossberg 500 A1 or similar would do the trick.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »
Mossberg 930 has been my go to for a few years now. 500.00 or less usually. Jerry Micilek was running one for a few years don't know if he still is or not. There is even a model 930 with his name on it (930 JM). Great gun.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:25:09 AM »
I will second the JM Pro by Mossberg. I picked one up locally for a good price, I chose the one with the 24" barrel because you can fit one more round in the magazine of that model. I spent some time cleaning and polishing the moving parts before I took it out for the first time and have had zero problems with it. I've been running the cheap Federal and Winchester rounds from Wally World and they work great. Now I just need to get some shotgun shell caddies and spend lots of time on reloads!
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
We discussed this a bit on Sunday but I am a big fan of the Stoeger. Sparky has a M3000 that I have shot in 2 matches and it runs great! He has done a little bit of loading port work and added a+5 mag tube to it. Its the reliability of a Benelii with out the price tag. They really stepped into the 3gun market this last year with a comp almost competion ready fun with the M3k. They run about 650 and you just need to add a $50 extension tube.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STOEGER-MODEL-GUN-SHOTGUN/1993377.uts

These guys are modifiying guns to Patrick Kellys Specks for a PK3
Not sure where they are listed but it has everything that a pro would have.
http://moaprecision.com/

A lot of people never have issues with the 930 but they are famous at failing during the middle of a match. With 4 local matches a year you and the low round count during these matches you probably will never see a issue. They are a gas system and when you get into high round count stages they gunk or fall apart.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
I used a Mossberg 500 and it worked well. I don't know the specific sub-model, but it has 8+1 magazine and was about $400 at Cabela's though it originally had a big heavy flashlight forend that I had swapped for a standard one. Thunder Alley in Lincoln has one for sale for under $400 if I recall correctly, without the flashlight.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
Walmart is clearing out all AR15's and home defense shotguns.  you might want to check out your local store.  i saw some Mossberg home defense pumps for $250-ish.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
Walmart is clearing out all AR15's and home defense shotguns.  you might want to check out your local store.  i saw some Mossberg home defense pumps for $250-ish.
You dont want an 18" barrel and a fixed cyl barrel for 3 gun. If you want a competition gun you dont have to add a mag tube to, your only real options is a 930JM Pro. IMO, the Stoeger 3000 will be a better option but you will need a mag tube. It isnt like old pumps where you have to drill or pound out the dimples in the mag tube. Just simply screw it on, cut down the spring to desired length, and go. Cabelas shows them for $500 for the 26" and Ky Gun Co has the 28" at $450.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
You dont want an 18" barrel and a fixed cyl barrel for 3 gun. If you want a competition gun you dont have to add a mag tube to, your only real options is a 930JM Pro. IMO, the Stoeger 3000 will be a better option but you will need a mag tube. It isnt like old pumps where you have to drill or pound out the dimples in the mag tube. Just simply screw it on, cut down the spring to desired length, and go. Cabelas shows them for $500 for the 26" and Ky Gun Co has the 28" at $450.
Scheels in lincoln stocks alot of stoegers. They often run sales on them for 450 maybe less.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I went to GU yesterday and reduced their inventory of Mossberg 930 JM Pro.  I can't wait to break it in. 

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase, I really like mine. Jerry Miculek has a great
YouTube video on cleaning and maintenance of the JM Pro.
Don't forget there's another 3gun match at ENGC September 20th!
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase, I really like mine. Jerry Miculek has a great
YouTube video on cleaning and maintenance of the JM Pro.
Don't forget there's another 3gun match at ENGC September 20th!

That is an excellent video.  Looking forward to the 3 gun match in September ;D