< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I may actually want an evil, icky black rifle  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Mambac

• Forum Member
Re: I may actually want an evil, icky black rifle
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Feralcatkiller, an AR is a great hunting rifle, no matter what anyone tells you. I would recommend getting a 1/7 twist. You will be able to shoot anything from 55 grain all the way to 77 grain with no issues. It also doesn't sound like you will shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year. If that is the case, don't bother spending the extra money for hammer forged barrel or even chrome lined barrels. Very few people use their rifle enough to see the benefits of either. Standard chrome moly barrels have a potential to be slightly more accurate as well. As far as hunting goes, it's all about bullet construction. As long as where you are hunting doesn't legally prohibit the use of .22 center fire on deer, you're good to go. Barnes TSX is one of the best bullets for your application, and if you aren't hunting with it, get some cheap FMJ and have fun with it. Be careful though, because once you have had a taste for shooting an AR15, you will buy five more.  ;D

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
Guess witch rifle is the deer rifle. Hint: They both are. The icky black rifle is an AR in 7.62x39. It is just as accurate as the Browning BLR in .308 next to it and I doubt that the deer would know the difference between the two when it goes down.  ;D When not being used as a deer hunting tool it makes a great fun gun shooting cheap AK ammo.  8)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
Is there a limit on magazine capacity for a deer hunting rifle imposed by Nebraska?  I thought I heard awhile back that there was.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the .223 Wylde, which can shoot .223 and 5.56 both.  I got a Colt AR with that chamber because it was on sale at CDNN, and it seems to be accurate enough (though I haven't done any formal testing with it yet).  I don't know if there is any practical difference between .223 Wylde and 5.56, so I suppose you just go with whichever you happen to find. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »
Is there a limit on magazine capacity for a deer hunting rifle imposed by Nebraska?  I thought I heard awhile back that there was.
Yes, any auto loading rifle is limited to a mag that only holds five rounds. You can have one in the chamber for a total of six loaded rounds. Mag must be limited by some means that cannot be easily changed or just simply only holds five rounds.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the .223 Wylde, which can shoot .223 and 5.56 both.  I got a Colt AR with that chamber because it was on sale at CDNN, and it seems to be accurate enough (though I haven't done any formal testing with it yet).  I don't know if there is any practical difference between .223 Wylde and 5.56, so I suppose you just go with whichever you happen to find.
I brought up wylde in my orginal post. This chamber design is somewhere between 556 and 223 dimensions and something with a difrebt throat depth. It was deveoled for precision long range shooting. You can have high pressure loads with a higher precision chamber compared to a standard 223 Remington.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
Quote from: barmandr on September 04, 2015, 06:04:32 PM
If you want to make it really special, build the rifle with your son.  Then you both get the satisfaction of him taking his first deer with something you built together.  Building it yourself also allows you to get the exact rifle parts you want from the start, so in the long run it's cheaper as you are not replacing parts someone else used to build the rifle.

That's a really great idea. I've certainly got a lot of reading to do about these guns.

I saw this topic a while back and didn't comment....however, I remembered it as I was looking through the PSA site tonight and found this build kit for cheap ($300):  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/ptac-16-m4-5-56-nato-slick-side-1-9-rifle-kit.html    now add a lower for $60 and you have a very nice home project for cheap that will get the job done and you have some bucks left to apply on a  scope.        http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/

* PTAC isn't a well known super-high-quality brand, but their stuff works as one would expect.

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
I saw this topic a while back and didn't comment....however, I remembered it as I was looking through the PSA site tonight and found this build kit for cheap ($300):  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/ptac-16-m4-5-56-nato-slick-side-1-9-rifle-kit.html    now add a lower for $60 and you have a very nice home project for cheap that will get the job done and you have some bucks left to apply on a  scope.        http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/

* PTAC isn't a well known super-high-quality brand, but their stuff works as one would expect

Cool. So that's all you need right there, huh?   I'm beginning to see that the real appeal behind AR "builds" is that you can spread the purchases out and your wife doesn't realize you bought another new gun.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
Cool. So that's all you need right there, huh?   I'm beginning to see that the real appeal behind AR "builds" is that you can spread the purchases out and your wife doesn't realize you bought another new gun.

For those of us without this "Wife" you speak of, it also makes it easier to build over time, $50 here, and $50 there, before you know it you have a rifle.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
And since there are no power tools needed, your child can be involved in all aspects of the build.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
... If that is the case, don't bother spending the extra money for hammer forged barrel or even chrome lined barrels. Very few people use their rifle enough to see the benefits of either. Standard chrome moly barrels have a potential to be slightly more accurate as well. ...

Any thoughts on stainless (dis)advantages, other than corrosion resistance?  And the fact that they're purty?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/17477/category/4459/?p=2

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
Stainless works fine.  Not as durable as a chrome lined barrel, but it'll still last many thousands of rounds.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 05:14:34 PM »
Any thoughts on stainless (dis)advantages, other than corrosion resistance?  And the fact that they're purty?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/17477/category/4459/?p=2
They are shiny in the dark and reflect in the sun... 8)  ...if you are around a salt-spray environment then stainless may be for you...otherwise, not a lot of benefit.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
They are shiny in the dark and reflect in the sun... 8)  ...if you are around a salt-spray environment then stainless may be for you...otherwise, not a lot of benefit.

See there you go. I wasn't thinking "tactical" enough, dang it. I guess I could always throw some camo tape on there in case zombies attack or Obama declares martial law. Would that count as a "mod"?  Apparently I'm supposed to start "modding" stuff, if I understand the parlance.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
The PSA Freedom Rifle kit has arrived!!!   To the untrained eye it looks a lot like an AR-15 that dad bought as a range toy, but it will really make a superb youth deer rifle.

Looks pretty straightforward, but I may reach out to those of you who generously offered build advice or support, if I get stuck.

So... a question about lubrication and cleaning:

I'm a Froglube fanatic for plastic pistols and stainless revolvers.  They seem to work slicker than snot on the stuff, and clean up just by wiping them off.   Anyone used Froglube on an AR, or does it need to function a bit more "wet", i.e. something with a bit more greasy residue?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
For AR15's I use Slip EWL and run the bolt/carrier  wet
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
The PSA Freedom Rifle kit has arrived!!!   To the untrained eye it looks a lot like an AR-15 that dad bought as a range toy, but it will really make a superb youth deer rifle.

Looks pretty straightforward, but I may reach out to those of you who generously offered build advice or support, if I get stuck.

So... a question about lubrication and cleaning:

I'm a Froglube fanatic for plastic pistols and stainless revolvers.  They seem to work slicker than snot on the stuff, and clean up just by wiping them off.   Anyone used Froglube on an AR, or does it need to function a bit more "wet", i.e. something with a bit more greasy residue?

Depending on what you have for coatings on the rifle  Frog Lube will mess with the finish. 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
you'll get a zillion replies on lube.  i use Crisco... i mean FireClean since I shoot pretty much 100% suppressed.  i like it a lot.  i use Hoppe's #9 or RemOil or CLP for general/basic cleaning, then FireClean for storage and shooting lube.  basically, just use something!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
you'll get a zillion replies on lube.
This is so true.   Myself, I break in a new firearm by first cleaning and applying a good petroleum based gun oil like Ultra-Klenz or RemOil.  After an initial shooting session, I do a thorough cleaning and then apply Froglube (paste).  Some folks like it and some don't.  I've also heard good things from folks using synthetic motor oil.  I think after a good cleaning any lubrication will work & protect to a certain degree....its just that some will provide better long term solutions than others.   It's ultimately your decision on what you like to use for your firearms.   As for Froglube discoloring the finish on a particular firearm...I've not experienced that problem so far.  One way to know for certain is to first try a little dab on a small inconspicous place and see what it looks like...if you don't like what you see use some sovent to take it down.   Key thing I found with Froglube is initially apply it twice (under heat) and wipe the surfaces down after they are cooled off.  I don't like to leave any visible residue on any parts.  One will see it working when things begin to heat up.   Good luck and have fun with your new purchase.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 11:19:59 PM »
Thanks again.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:29 AM »
you'll get a zillion replies on lube.  i use Crisco... i mean FireClean since I shoot pretty much 100% suppressed.  i like it a lot.  i use Hoppe's #9 or RemOil or CLP for general/basic cleaning, then FireClean for storage and shooting lube.  basically, just use something!
Haha when I saw that arrival I thought about you. Just curious have you tried crisco yet?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk