< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ASA ANNOUNCES HEARING PROTECTION ACT: A BILL TO REMOVE SUPPRESSORS FROM THE NFA  (Read 2500 times)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the introduction of the Hearing Protection Act (HPA) by Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05). This historic piece of legislation will remove suppressors from the purview of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the antiquated federal transfer process with an instantaneous NICS background check.

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/asa-announces-hearing-protection-act-a-bill-to-remove-suppressors-from-the-nfa/

A NICS check seems unnecessary for suppressors to me, but this would be a definite improvement.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
 great idea,

you may think that a NICS check may not be needed,  I try to look at it as the first step, so many look at small gains, saying there should have been more done, just think if it as small steps, next time we can get a little more. I never expect to get everything passed at once, part now, and another part next year
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
Cool!   ...so many barrels to thread
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
of course this is a great idea.  we'll see how far it goes.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
great idea,

you may think that a NICS check may not be needed,  I try to look at it as the first step, so many look at small gains, saying there should have been more done, just think if it as small steps, next time we can get a little more. I never expect to get everything passed at once, part now, and another part next year

I agree, this is a great first step.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
great idea,

Agreed. I guess the NICS check makes us look reasonable to the ill-informed who think suppressors turn people into deadly assassins with 10 dB firearms.

Offline orion

• NFOA Full Member
This would be a great first step.

Problem is we would need a very pro 2A administration and congress...maybe in 2017

The irony is how the present administration and some of those running for the job of POTUS tote Australia and their gun confiscation program as what the US should be doing but won't mention how well over the counter sales of suppressors in New Zealand works out.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
This bill needs help getting traction. I just emailed my congressman (Fortenburry):

Congressman,

Thank you for your service. I appreciate all of the work you're doing for us in Washington D.C.

The Arizona Representative Matt Salmon introduced a bill called "Hearing Protection Act of 2015" (H.R.3799). I am writing to encourage you to support his bill.

Currently, there is an unconstitutional tax on firearms silencers. This bill would remove that tax and remove these "sound mufflers" from the National Firearms Act.

Firearms silencers are, simply put, mufflers for a gun. Contrary to their name, they do not make a firearm totally silent, but a lot of times, they do reduce the sound to a hearing-safe level. Hearing loss is additive and the more you hunt/target shoot/sport shoot without proper hearing protection, the worse your hearing can get. As an avid sports shooter, this issue is very important to me.

I would like to hear your opinion about this bill and I would like to know if you support it.

Once again, thank you for representing us in Washington DC.

Sincerely,

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
My problem with this bill is the timing.  A administration ago this might have been feasible.
But today, I don't see the BATFE allowing this to pass.  Five years ago, not one gun store in the Lincoln Metro sold suppressors. I count at least a half dozen now selling suppressors, a handful of attorneys writing trusts for a living, not to mention the online trusts available thru many FFLs.  What I'm saying is now that every Tom Dick and Harry is laying down $200 to .Gov , so many that there is MONTHS expected wait times, I just don't see them giving up that revenue stream too easily.
Sorry, just keeping it real, folks.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
I want to remain cautiously optimistic about this. There's a bit of buzz about it in the "gun community" but the politicians need to hear from us -- even if we don't think it has a chance.

I know you know this... Just stating the obvious. ;)

I probably end up emailing at least one of my representatives about a gun issue once a month. This bill and the state preemption bill were on the list this month. :)