< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Parking Garage Surveillance Footage Prompts Campus Scare  (Read 960 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Parking Garage Surveillance Footage Prompts Campus Scare
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
I've pasted the 10/11 news story link at far bottom.  Not too surprised the kids got the book thrown at them for having an airsoft battle in a public parking garage.  I can see where that might have been an attention grabber for the guy monitoring the low-res / no sound surveillance cameras.   However, it reminds me of this thread ...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,2092.msg15866.html#msg15866

... and how I'm still not sure whether kids can be innocuously shooting targets with an airsoft in their own yard without running afoul of Lincoln law.  Nerf and airsoft guns comprise a majority of the items on many kids' Christmas lists.  All the sections in that thread by NE Bull refer to things that fire "leaden or other dangerous missiles" or firing in a way that "endangers the safety of persons or property".  I guess you could apply that to airsoft but at least one of the elementary-age summer camps around here has an organized airsoft battle. 

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/How-Parking-Garage-Surveillance-Footage-Prompts-Campus-Scare-353138281.html

Posted: Tue 5:28 AM, Nov 24, 2015
By: Amsley Senkbeil

Footage from parking garage surveillance cameras prompted a campus scare at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Monday night.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Footage from parking garage surveillance cameras prompted a campus scare at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Monday night.

Around 11 pm, UNL Police urged people to avoid the parking garage at 18th and R Streets. Police said after reviewing surveillance footage, they saw four people shooting guns.

UNL Police said officers responded to the scene, holding the suspects at gunpoint.

UNLPD said they quickly determined the suspects were shooting air-soft guns at themselves and various targets.

UNLPD said two of the four suspects were cited for shooting a firearm, which includes air-soft guns.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Parking Garage Surveillance Footage Prompts Campus Scare
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Haha I got this email. Life safety!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
Councilwoman Cyndi Lamm actually made me aware of this story today.
We have spoke at length about the ordinances that make toy guns the same as real guns in the eye of the law.  I gave her my opinion of the matter and am awaiting her response.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »
and how I'm still not sure whether kids can be innocuously shooting targets with an airsoft in their own yard without running afoul of Lincoln law.  Nerf and airsoft guns comprise a majority of the items on many kids' Christmas lists.  All the sections in that thread by NE Bull refer to things that fire "leaden or other dangerous missiles"

9.36.050 Discharge of Weapons and Other Instruments Unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any person, except as provided in this chapter, to fire or discharge, within the corporate limits, or on any property of the City of Lincoln outside of the corporate limits, any air rifle, toy pistol, toy gun, slingshot, or any other air, gas, or spring operated gun, weapon, apparatus, or instrument for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever in such a manner as to endanger the safety of persons or property, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name.
(Ord. 15625 ?5; July 9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.040: Ord. 9382 ?2; January 22, 1968: prior Ord. 3489 ?9-103; July 6, 1936).
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
Right ... That's what I'm talking about there where it says, "as to endanger persons or property."  So if my kids are shooting airsoft pellets into some leftover Haloween pumpkins in the back yard, is that legal since it's not endangering anyone or anything?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
Recently a Lincolnite was arrested for shooting a bb gun at targets on his deck, after reported by his neighbors as a MWAG...didn't help that his deck was on a balcony ::)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
I remember a few years back a fella was cited and fined (IIRC) for target practicing with bow and arrow inside his enclosed privacy fence.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
To me the wording of the law leaves the lawfulness of the shooting up to the discretion of whoever makes the decision.  For example, I would not consider shooting a BB or pellet gun in town to be done in such a way "as to endanger the safety of persons or property" if it is being done in a responsible manner, which includes adult supervision and a backstop that makes absolutely certain that no fired projectile leaves the yard, but some would say that it doesn't matter how responsibly it might be done, if it's done in town it endangers the safety...  So I suppose it'd be a matter of whether the judge (or whomever) used common sense or liberal doctrines in making his decision.  To me it looks like there had to be some reason for adding the in such a manner wording, but I don't know if that would matter to a liberal who just didn't like guns and gun owners, which points to the importance in doing what we can to make sure that only competent, honorable, and loyal Americans get into positions where they can make these decisions.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »
I remember a few years back a fella was cited and fined (IIRC) for target practicing with bow and arrow inside his enclosed privacy fence.
When I was 12ish I was shooting my bow in my parents back yard. I was shooting into the side of our desk lined with hay. Neighbors called the cops. Police stopped by and spoke to my dad about the complaint. They told us that they could not stop me from shooting but wanted to voice the concerns of the neighbors.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk