< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Help identifying this .223rem case  (Read 1670 times)

Offline fortunateComa

• NFOA Full Member
Help identifying this .223rem case
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:53:10 PM »
I bought flat box of 223 brass (some 200+ ) tarnished but good shape, no dents or cracks. Now for my two part question, can anyone identify the headstamp on these, they are all the same.  Question #2: 20 of them are loaded, can the powder be reused,  not going to reuse the bullets as they look terrible, powder looks good, smells good and is ball powder.  I'm  posting 2 pics. Any opinions ?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Help identifying this .223rem case
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
Lake City 1971 M193 Vietnam Era

Obviously the brass has been reloaded
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline fortunateComa

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
Thanks, I figured it was Lake City wasn't sure. Now about the powder reuse or not? Took one apart, ball powder, looks good and not bad smell, weighed out at 24.3 grs.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
How are you going to identify the powder?  I would not reuse it myself...20 rounds are not worth that to me
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline fortunateComa

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Ok thanks, trash the powder, bullets and primers. Clean the brass really good, reload and have fun!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »
Every established reloading information source I've ever read has said, loud and clear:

Never use powder which has no definite identity marked on the container.

Guess it could be argued that since these 24.3gr of powder were already loaded up, then the powder could simply be replaced and corked up with a newer, shiny bullet of the same weight as was previously extracted when the powder was dumped.   But then, that argument leads to this point:

Every established reloading information source I've ever read has said, loud and clear:

Never shoot orphan (unidentified source; unknown reloading data) reloaded ammunition.

My recommendation to you is same as up above:   Dump the Powder.  (Sprinkled thinly in the garden.  Excellent fertilizer.  All that nitrogen.............)

Those twenty cartridges only contain a total of 0.07lb of powder, which is worth at the most, say..... $1.75.   Not really worth messing with.

FWIW,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Why get rid of primer? Why do more than lightly tumble the case, if that? Is it covered in tar/mud/feces? Any thing more that wiping off the exterior is more than needed.
Powder: if it was a factory round, it isn't any canister powder you can buy, but it also is a round that you can shoot (you've checked one round and found the powder to still be good). If it was reloaded, you have no way to identify what powder was used or to know if it is safe in YOUR gun.
Bullet: you pull the bullet and, even if the meplat is damaged, it will still shoot quite well out to 200 yards (if it ever could). Just doesn't make sense to load ONE bullet. If you have a lot of these rounds to break-down, have all the bullets and use them for plinking/family shooting/fun.