< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW and paranoia  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Jerry Lundegard

• Powder Benefactor
CCW and paranoia
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
One of the things I like about this forum is the wide variety of opinions offered in a civil manner. I had an interesting discussion with a friend today and wanted to get the opinions of posters here. My friend is a combat veteran and true patriot. He stated he will never get a CCW permit because he fears it will make him a target should the govt ever head down the route of confiscation. Without going into detail, he makes a compelling arguement.

My opinion was that it is worth the risk to defend oneself and immediate family in the here and now. And that if confiscation were ever attempted, things would likely be very bad nationwide in a hurry. I also figure in this day and age, they govt knows everything about everyone already.

What are your opinions?  Does he have a valid point or is he paranoid?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: CCW and paranoia
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
I would very respectfully offer that (a) he has and (b) he is.

But...........Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to kill ya.

My recommendation to him would be to go ahead and obtain his concealed handgun permit.   Then carry his concealed handgun as he sees fit.

Any handgun that he buys from a dealer can be traced to him anyhow.   And maybe some handguns not bought from a dealer, for that matter.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
Does anyone REALLY believe NICS checks aren't going into a Federal database?

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
I held off on getting my CCW because I didn't want my fingerprints in a data base. Homeland Security decided that I had to have my prints done or not do the work that I do. Now I have had my prints taken many times. Funny thing is that I have never been arrested.  :P

If I were him, I wouldn't worry about it. If he is a veteran and patriot, he is already on the list!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 07:09:18 PM »
Tell your friend to wake up! Combat Vet puts him at 1A on what ever list he does not want to be on even if he doesn't own a single firearm. If he has a job and pays taxes,  .Gov still owns him even thou his Military career has ended.

\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
Here is my $0.02.

Your friend is a Military Veteran. As am I. The government already has all of his pertinent details. Fingerprints are a thing of the past, the military encodes everything under retinal scans now.

He has nothing to lose by obtaining his CHP. Honestly, if the government really wanted to confiscate, they will run browsing and purchase history in conjunction with credit card/debit card history.

If they want it, they'll find it.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
If they want it, they'll find it.

Unfortunately, all of my most menacing firearms were lost in a boating accident the prior year (the year prior to the confiscations). 

Any other boaters here have the same bad luck?  ...I'll bet so.   :laugh:
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »
If he owns a hand gun he has a purchase permit. Bam your on a list. Like gsd said he is on list for being a vet. He has a driver's license he's on a list. He is on every gun dealer list when he purchased a gun. Another list. Have him loosen the tin foil and get on another list.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »
i would concur with everything above, get the CHP.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
the thing is with todays technology land line home phones ,pc's, smart phones, web sites like this etc ... how would the government go about a mass gun confiscation with out the rest of us hearing about it or seeing hundreds of thousands of police , troops what ever walking door to door. you can't knock on billions of doors at one time ....  when my door bell rings the first thing i do is grab my gun, would you want to come to my house and say give me all your guns lol.... and what do you think i would do if you did not ring the bell??? it will never happen! loss of life would be in the MILLIONS too many people would shoot and say ya you can have my guns but i will give them to you bullets first! you may get a knock on your door if your out buying guns and ammo by the truck loads and live on a farm in a cult lol you and me will be just fine ....

MartyB i lost my gun water skiing on the Missouri river funny how that happens  ;)
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
If a time comes when a corrupt government is using what information they have on us to forcefully disarm us we have already lost the political battle, and the time will have come to organize the militia and defend America by force of arms.  If we have to bury our arms to keep them from being taken we have already lost them.  I've run across quite a few patriots over the years who said they would not join a group like the NRA, because they didn't want to be on a government enemies list, just in case, and they made it a point not to own even one registered gun, buying only from non-dealers.  I always told them that standing in the open with a force of patriots in order to win the political war was far more likely to secure their freedom than trying to remain invisible, and if they were not going to stand with that force now when fighting tyranny is relatively easy, how likely is it that they would become part of some guerrilla force when patriots were being hunted?

If a corrupt government does come around confiscating arms, they'll be using metal detectors and things like that.  I don't know how deep you have to bury them to defeat those means, but it's probably pretty deep, and hiding them behind hollow walls isn't going to do any good either; they'll tear the wall open just to see if it's a pipe or a gun that registered.  And I'm guessing that those who are so opposed to things like waterboarding now would have no problem with it or any other coercive means that might be used by those who disarm patriots, since liberal cattle can be counted on to think whatever they are told to think. 

As others have mentioned, a veteran is already high on any list that might be used.  There are times when hiding is the right thing to do, but sometimes standing in the open together with a mass of patriots makes more sense, and I think now is that time.     
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Corrupt governments "dispatch" unarmed paranoids folks with equal propensity .....

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
According to the DHS document on terrorism released shortly after Obama's election,  anyone who is a returning Iraqi veteran,  pro-life, against immigration, pro-Constitution, pro State's Rights, etc., is a potential "extremist".

Essentially, anyone who is not a card carrying member of the Communist Party, a.k.a Democrats.

So, everyone on this forum has, no doubt, been marked by the Federal government as someone to "watch" or, if recent IRS, EPA and other government agencies behavior is any clue, harass and impede politically and  financially.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
For all those on the list...
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
For all those on the list...

Just found my new avatar  ;D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
It is better to add to the visible numbers rather than try to hide.
Get the permit.

However, it is a hollow feeling, paying for training, traveling to a remote HP office, paying a police fine, proving citizenship, identity, background check and being fingerprinted to enjoy a Constitutional Right. Going to a police office, getting identified and fingerprinted, and paying a fine are usually the result of breaking a law...not a Right. Sorry, years later and I am still bitter.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »

i downloaded it too.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Don't forget this exchange from the phony Democrat debate:

ANDERSON  COOPER: Which enemy that you made during your political career are you most proud of?

CLINTON: Well, in addition to the NRA, the health insurance companies, the drug companies, the Iranians; probably the Republicans.

If you are an American patriot, you are seen by the high seers of the liberal cult as an enemy, and not just a plain enemy, but among their most hatred ones.  Having a permit to exercise your Constitutional right to bear arms won't make you any more of an enemy in their eyes than you already are.  So either stand up for your freedom, or you might as well go all the way and grovel before the altars of liberalism with the cattle.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:32 AM »

I'm not just a club member... I might be the president.  A teacher who owns guns, has a CHP and is a CHP instructor... I'm on a list.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
If a time comes when a corrupt government is using what information they have on us to forcefully disarm us we have already lost the political battle, and the time will have come to organize the militia and defend America by force of arms.  If we have to bury our arms to keep them from being taken we have already lost them.  I've run across quite a few patriots over the years who said they would not join a group like the NRA, because they didn't want to be on a government enemies list, just in case, and they made it a point not to own even one registered gun, buying only from non-dealers.  I always told them that standing in the open with a force of patriots in order to win the political war was far more likely to secure their freedom than trying to remain invisible, and if they were not going to stand with that force now when fighting tyranny is relatively easy, how likely is it that they would become part of some guerrilla force when patriots were being hunted?

If a corrupt government does come around confiscating arms, they'll be using metal detectors and things like that.  I don't know how deep you have to bury them to defeat those means, but it's probably pretty deep, and hiding them behind hollow walls isn't going to do any good either; they'll tear the wall open just to see if it's a pipe or a gun that registered.  And I'm guessing that those who are so opposed to things like waterboarding now would have no problem with it or any other coercive means that might be used by those who disarm patriots, since liberal cattle can be counted on to think whatever they are told to think. 

the thing is with todays technology land line home phones ,pc's, smart phones, web sites like this etc ... how would the government go about a mass gun confiscation with out the rest of us hearing about it or seeing hundreds of thousands of police , troops what ever walking door to door. you can't knock on billions of doors at one time ....  when my door bell rings the first thing i do is grab my gun, would you want to come to my house and say give me all your guns lol.... and what do you think i would do if you did not ring the bell??? it will never happen! loss of life would be in the MILLIONS too many people would shoot and say ya you can have my guns but i will give them to you bullets first! you may get a knock on your door if your out buying guns and ammo by the truck loads and live on a farm in a cult lol you and me will be just fine ....

MartyB i lost my gun water skiing on the Missouri river funny how that happens  ;)

Anyone procrastinating getting a CHP, may as well get it and forget the paranoia.  Every legalized citizen adult and most minors are already in a system of tracking and may not recognize it; SSN, dental records, finger printing, retinal scan, facial scan, DNA, school records, military records, criminal background, permitting of any kind (drivers, hunting, fishing, firearm purchase), club memberships/NRA, computer IP addressing/usage history, telephone (cell/land) & cable usage, passport, air travel which includes DHS records, any government program/assistance, taxpayer/income earning records, banking/credit apps and the ever present security video monitoring in businesses.  This should be nothing new to us as every one of us is already known in some regard.

To pick up on M Morton's commentary -    I've often wondered how would a gun confiscation program really work?  I mean think about the massiveness of scale such an endeavor would take.  I would think it would have to start with a nation-wide amnesty program followed by some means of confiscation.  Think about this for a few seconds...would door-to-door confiscation across the vastness of this continent including Alaska & Hawaii and U.S. Territories really be feasible?  It simply couldn't be done simultaneously in every state.  With some cities containing millions of people down to the small one-horse towns to every ranch & farm & swamp residence where each household is to be searched...I don't see how.  Once the word got out that house-to-house searching was starting on such a large scale is almost unimaginable.  I know they did some confiscation during Katrina in New Orleans, but that was an isolated area and you know they still didn't get every firearm.  It would take something like martial law with the complete armed forces to enforce "the plan" which still, given the vastness of this country, is a massive undertaking and we have other things going on in the world for our military to worry about more than this.  Gun bans & confiscation talk mostly make for good political rhetoric/fodder for votes (on both sides) with increased gun & ammo sales and resultant paranoia for arms owners.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman