< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Recommended laser sight for Ruger LC9?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
Recommended laser sight for Ruger LC9?
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
I used to have a LaserLyte side laser for my LC9 but had to sell it when I moved to Nebraska because it covers the firearm's serial number and that's not legal here. I'm looking into one of the underbarrel ones that mounts to the front of the trigger guard.

The LaserMax CF-LC9 (http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Max-CF-LC9-For-Ruger/dp/B006P4FRSK) fits the budget nicely, any thoughts on it? Or other brands/models I should consider?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Recommended laser sight for Ruger LC9?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
I used to have a LaserLyte side laser for my LC9 but had to sell it when I moved to Nebraska because it covers the firearm's serial number and that's not legal here.

Could you give a link to that law?  I'm not familiar with that one.  Altering/defacing, yes, but temporarily (as in "removable") cover is a new one for me.

I don't use a laser, so it isn't directly relevant, but I always like to know more.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »
I'll try to do some searching to see if I can find the law again, but at the time (this was about a year ago) it seemed that the sight would be illegal since it made it nontrivial to inspect the serial number. The sight replaces the frame pins with threaded ones and screws into them directly over the serial number, so getting at the serial number required a tiny Allen wrench and removal of the sight.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
Okay, couldn't find a direct link in Nebraska law but I found something at the NRA-ILA website:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/nebraska.aspx

It is unlawful to knowingly possess, receive, sell, or lease any firearm from which the manufacturer’s identification mark or serial number has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed. It is also unlawful to intentionally remove, deface, cover, alter, or destroy the manufacturer’s identification mark or serial number or other distinguishing numbers on any firearm.

emphasis mine

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
Isn't the serial number in several places on the firearm?  I know that it is on the slide and the frame both so I would think that you should be good with the site since you can recover the serial# from another location on the weapon.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
As far as I know there's only the one serial number on the frame. If there's one on the slide it's not in an obvious location.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »
It seems we have somewhat contradicting statutes concerning this subject.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1208
28-1208. Defacing a firearm; penalty.
(1) Any person who intentionally removes, defaces, covers, alters, or destroys the manufacturer's identification mark or serial number or other distinguishing numbers on any firearm commits the offense of defacing a firearm.

(2) Defacing a firearm is a Class III felony.

However, the possession statute does not mention cover:

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=s2812007000
28-1207. Possession of a defaced firearm; penalty.
(1) Any person who knowingly possesses, receives, sells, or leases, other than by delivery to law enforcement officials, any firearm from which the manufacturer's identification mark or serial number has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, commits the offense of possession of a defaced firearm.

(2) Possession of a defaced firearm is a Class III felony.

Looks like something that should be addressed in the upcoming Unicameral session in January 2015.

IMHO, I would not be worried about a non permanently-mounted accessory covering the serial number. It's my guess they are concerned about a modification that permanently covers the serial number.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:56:31 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
Sorry, I left out a few things in my post.  My Taurus has the serial number in several places, frame and slide.  Not sure about the Ruger though.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
IMHO, I would not be worried about a non permanently-mounted accessory covering the serial number. It's my guess they are concerned about a modification that permanently covers the serial number.

Call me paranoid, but I don't want to give anyone even the slightest reason, technicality or otherwise, to use existing laws and go after my right to bear arms.

Besides, I already sold the LaserLyte to a friend in my old state who also carries an LC9, so I wouldn't mind trying a different laser just to see how it compares.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I have a Crimson Trace on my LCP, no problems with it. Many companies have green lasers now which seem much more visible in daylight.

Best of luck to you.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AndyV

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
I have a LaserMax on my LC9. I considered the Crimson Trace, but didn't like the way the switch bump felt on the grip below the trigger. The LaserMax turns on when the slide switch is pressed from either side. However, if your fingers are short, it may be a little awkward reach to reach the switch. You may want to handle both to see how they feel to you.

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »
I am posting a year later than others on this topic, but I am just now enjoying the Ruger LC9 with Viridian's R5 ECR green laser sight.  The R5 ECR for LC9/LC9s/LC380 is coupled with Viridian's "Reactor" pocket holster, and the combo is a real gem and fun to practice with.

The laser is intensely bright; select continuous or pulse modes via push button on the laser unit, which mounts onto the trigger guard and butts up against the frame below the barrel.  The Pulse setting will give you greatly extended battery life without IMO reducing your shooting performance.

The really cool part of the package is the "instant on" feature... when you draw the LC9 from the holster, the laser automatically comes on (assuming you set the laser to either continuous or pulse mode before you holstered it).  A subtle magnetic strip in the holster shuts the laser power off when the pistol is holstered, preserving battery power for when you need it.

The ECR designation stands for "Enhanced Combat Readiness" and this is a feature I very much appreciate.  (I frankly rebelled against the notion of having a laser-equipped pistol for fear I would concentrate too much on the laser and not enough on a perceived threat).  There's no panic while trying to turn on the laser when the weapon is drawn... it's ready faster than I will be in an emergency.  Plus, to check on battery life just draw the weapon; if the batteries are on their last legs, a warning light alerts you.  Viridian says the batteries should last for months of in-holster "off but ready" time.  I'll try to post again in a few months to relay my experience with in-holster battery life.

Want something other than a pocket holster?  The Viridian folks are way ahead of you... their site features inside or outside the waistband holsters by Galco, De Santis and Crossbreed, all with the unique ECR "instant on" feature built right in.

You can buy this Viridian product for about $150 on Amazon or elsewhere; the optional holsters will set you back another $40 to $69 at the ViridianGreenLaser.com website.  Don't let the cost of batteries deter you (unit requires two batteries).  Ebay delivered eight PKCELL brand batteries for $10.  The battery is generic (commonly used in invisible fence dog collars) and identified as type CR1/3N, DL1/3N, 1/3N, K58L, 2LR76, CR11108, 72L76 or KL1/3.  These lithium batteries will store well, but don't put them in the freezer.

If your goals by adding a laser to your pistol include an enhanced ability to scare a bad guy off and, if you must, to be more lethally proficient if there's no other recourse, I'd recommend what Viridian has to offer.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Wow, this thread came back from nowhere!

I'm not really into lasers anymore to be honest. I've been doing IDPA and a little bit of USPSA and Steel Challenge as my schedule allows, and feel much more proficient and confident with iron sights now. There's still a lot of room for improvement in my marksmanship though..