< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone know a source for steel (angle iron & rectangular tube) near Lincoln?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Here I go trying to be a junior bkoenig or unfy.  ;D

I asked in another thread for ideas on DIY target stands, and I received some good info. However, most everything was quite bulky (2x4s or PVC) that would just add to the nearly full back end of my Suburban. So I have been toying with some plans to build collapsable stands suitable for IDPA & USPSA targets.

At the big box stores I found some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" galvanized angle iron that has slots in it. I know that the slotted steel will not be as sturdy or heavy as solid steel, but it could possible simplify the build by negating the need for drilling holes.

i also would need some steel rectangular tube pieces to make the slots for the lath wood strips. This is the piece that I can not find a suitable material for. The big box stores only carry square tube as far as I can find. If possible, it would be nice to have slotted rectangular tube so that I might be able to employ the angle iron slots to secure the two together.

Anyone know of a good source for such items? I would think there is some business with a better selection and hopefully prices in the Lincoln area?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
I have a friend who needed steel for a trailer mod that found it at Midwest Steel. They may have what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:18:55 AM by Mark B »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Only place I know in Lincoln that sells to individuals is Rivers Metal Products.  But they ban concealed carry.  Just FYI. :(

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
A place that does metal work might have some to sell you, though I don't know if they would.  When I worked at Nebraska Boiler in Lincoln in the '70s (70th and Cornhusker) they had dumpsters filled with various shapes and sizes of scrap iron that could be welded together if you are so inclined; angle iron is probably the most common form, but you might find whatever else you're looking for.  I guess I don't know what rectangular tube pieces are but what is called box beam might serve your purpose, though it's square, not rectangular.  I believe they sold all their scrap iron and I assume they still do, so I suppose if you could find out who they sell it to that would be a good source.  If you see a big construction job going on where structural steel is going up chances they have a pile of scrap somewhere, though they might not want you on their property because of liability in case you get hurt or something.  But again, whoever has the scrap contract would probably be happy to let you sort through what they have.  You might try typing scrap iron into your search engine.

I'm assuming you have access to a welder, torch, metal saw, drill press, and all that, because otherwise wood might be better.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
 to hold the wood lathe, I use round pipe, trouble is. not all lathe you buy is the same size,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline predatorhunter

• NFOA Full Member
Metal Works is another place that sells steel over the counter. They also don't allow firearms on property. They could possibly laser cut slots in to flat steel then bend it to form angle iron.
NRA Life Member!!!!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
I'm assuming you have access to a welder, torch, metal saw, drill press, and all that, because otherwise wood might be better.

No. That is why the slotted iron was so appealing. I have the tools and knowledge to work with wood or PVC, but I will still have the problem of an overflowing back end of a Suburban.

Fly
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:47:01 AM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Only place I know in Lincoln that sells to individuals is Rivers Metal Products.  But they ban concealed carry.  Just FYI.

Thanks

to hold the wood lathe, I use round pipe, trouble is. not all lathe you buy is the same size,

Thanks

Metal Works is another place that sells steel over the counter. They also don't allow firearms on property. They could possibly laser cut slots in to flat steel then bend it to form angle iron.

Thanks.

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Apollo steel gets all my business at work and personal stuff. Rivers will charge you for each cut blah blah blah and there prices suck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Apollo steel gets all my business at work and personal stuff. Rivers will charge you for each cut blah blah blah and there prices suck.

Good to know. Thanks.

Fly

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Too bad there isn't somebody on the forum with a torch and drill press and maybe a few other metal working tools. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Too bad there isn't somebody on the forum with a torch and drill press and maybe a few other metal working tools.
Hehehe I told fly to contact me. Soooo I guess I will have to message him again.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
If you need help welding this let me know,

PM sent
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
I'm wondering if it might be feasible for a few of us with metal working experience to get together in somebody's shop and make some of these and sell them, maybe at a gun show, with the profit going to NFOA.  Just a thought.  The owner of the shop should be compensated for the cost of electricity, rod, gas, etc.  But all the labor would be donated to NFOA.  Is there enough of a potential market for this sort of thing?

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
I used to get a lot of scrap metal from Neidens when they were still around.  Always had fun just walking around and looking at all the stuff.  Made a lot of cool things from their near new metal byproducts.  Too bad they got hit with a liability issue because some consumer hurt themselves...so that ended the metal safaris.  I don't know if Alter Scrap Processing sells to public or not...might be worth a call and tell them what you are looking for.  Also the U-Pull-it guys deal w/scrap metal...who knows what they might have.  A lot of the metal fab shops don't like to deal with small quantities.  Thats one reason why some of those places have an atitude toward the litte guy.

I've had good luck in the past with  Guenzel's on 701 J Street....nice folks...would recommend them.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Hehehe I told fly to contact me. Soooo I guess I will have to message him again.

Finally replied with a bunch of random thoughts trying to describe what I'm thinking about.

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
I have some scrap laying around.  Tell me what you need.

Of course, you'll have to haul it from Omaha.  ;D

Edit: My PVC stands break down flat.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:10:37 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
I have some scrap laying around.  Tell me what you need.

Of course, you'll have to haul it from Omaha.  ;D

Edit: My PVC stands break down flat.

Any consistency to your scrap? Is it flat, angled, slotted, etc? Not being the choosy beggar, but figured consistency of assembly will be a factor for me since I'm trying to come up with a generic plan.

Thanks to everyone for their offers to help in various ways.

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Any consistency to your scrap? Is it flat, angled, slotted, etc? Not being the choosy beggar, but figured consistency of assembly will be a factor for me since I'm trying to come up with a generic plan.

Thanks to everyone for their offers to help in various ways.

Fly

I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Pretty sure I have quite a bit of 1.25" OD round (might want to keep some of this for myself) in 20' sticks.  I also have (perhaps literally) a ton of angle.  I think most of it is either 1.75" or 2".  Probably some flat bar stock too.

I was thinking of using some of the 1.25" round to make legs for steel target stands and using re-bar for the cross piece.

Offline 50cal

• NFOA Full Member
Menards or any electrical supply has unistrut. http://www.unistrut.us/