< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Grandsons First Deer (Last Chapter)  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Grandsons First Deer (Last Chapter)
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
Well a family event took place this morning. All of this started several years ago when my then 12 year old granddaughter took her first deer. Last year she was followed by her 12 year old brother, my second grandchild, taking his first deer. This year their 11 year old brother and my youngest grandchild took his first deer. I have had the privilege of mentoring all three of them in the arts of shooting and hunting. All three have had a great interest in both. As with his siblings he put in the range time practicing his shooing skills and completed the required hunter education course to go for his first deer hunt. It all came together today. It just does not get any better than this for a proud grandfather.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Grandsons First Deer (Last Chapter)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »
good going Gramps!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
That's awesome.  That's a nice first deer, too. 

Did any of the kids help with the field dressing or processing?  Both my boys helped out with their deer. 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
That's awesome.  That's a nice first deer, too. 

Did any of the kids help with the field dressing or processing?  Both my boys helped out with their deer. 

They did. With my daughter and son-in-law it is a family activity. They dress and process all of the deer that their family shoots each year. My daughter and granddaughter do the processing at home after the field dressed deer are hung in the garage. I am the only one who still uses a processor to do my deer. Ya, I am a wimp on processing. The boys are expected to learn to field dress and the gals like to do the meat up the way they want it done. Not to mention the savings from doing it yourself processing. My part has been to teach shooting and hunting to the grandkids and providing the hardware for same along with a place to hunt.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »
Good job, grandpa!