< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anti-static Mat?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Anti-static Mat?
« on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Anyone using an anti-static mat on their reloading bench?  I inherited a reloading press and am putting my setup together.  The bench will be in a room with carpet.  I've put down a rubber mat over the carpet where the bench will be located.  Is an anti-static mat a good idea or overkill?

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anti-static Mat?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »
Good idea. My reloading scales all go nuts with any amount of static. Gun powder also sticks to the inside of the plastic powder funnel. The scale also needs to be perfectly level or the platten will bind.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »
Is an anti-static mat a good idea or overkill?

First big spark on a dry day will make it seem like a good idea.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
Hoping to setup my reloading area in a couple of months. Thanks for the idea, Mud.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
Hoping to setup my reloading area in a couple of months. Thanks for the idea, Mud.

No problem.  Maybe I should start a Reloading Newbie thread like Unfy did when he first got started.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
I had a primer explode once on a 223 round. I was holding the case with my finger half way over the top of the mouth. It seared my finger and would have taken an eye if I was looking down the case. It's easy the hold the tool with it pointing towards your face.

I also recently ready a story about a guy loading for a 45-70 (maybe it was on here). He forgot the crimp and the bullets started sinking deeper into each case as he fired. That cause the pressure to spike and it darn near blew his hand off.

Reloading is easy and fun, but know the little nuances of the cartridges your reloading.

/end scare