< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Youth Permit for Deer (Updated)  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Youth Permit for Deer (Updated)
« on: November 24, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
Hey Guys,
I decided to post this here as the folks following this topic are a group that is indeed committed to getting our younger generation into shooting and hunting. I have one grandson who did a great job of taking his first deer at age 12 last season that didn't get to fill his youth permit this year. Not from lack of trying or putting in the time in the field, just a case of not getting a good shot. And knowing the difference and holding off on doing something desperate. His permit is good for the late antlerless season that starts on Jan. 1st through the 14th. My son in law and his older brother have to work and go to school so it will be up to me to get him out to hunt when he can. I was wondering if anyone knows just what the limits of being accompanied by someone over 19 years old are? Can I take him out to my hunting ground and let him sit in a stand I can observe in line of sight form a distance of about one quarter mile be OK or do I need to be right next to him while he hunts? I will contact the Game and Parks on this but thought it might be interesting to see if anyone here has looked into this. To be honest sitting out in the kind of weather and temps that usually are found in January are not in my wheelhouse these days. Its one of the reasons I don't muzzle loader hunt any more. If I could supervise him from my truck it would be a great advantage in giving him all the opportunities to hunt I can.

A careful reading of the big game brochure answered my question for me. One must be in verbal and visual communication at all times. So, it looks like it may be a cold January for Grmaps.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:51:46 PM by Wildgoose »